I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 02:15:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Living donor failed testing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Living donor failed testing  (Read 2205 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: July 29, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

Many of you know that my mom was in the middle of being tested to be a live donor.  Well, I got the call I didn't want today...she has failed her testing.  She got as far as the glucose tolerance test.  Her glucose level was in the low 200's and they won't take anyone with a glucose level over 139.

Ugh.  She is really upset and depressed.  I know she really wanted to do this for me.  I told her that it was more important that she gets to the doctor and is checked out in case she is pre-diabetic. 

I do have one more living donor on deck that I know of.  I will be seeing her tomorrow and will give her the number to call the center and get her testing started. 

I am now resigned to the fact that I will have to get a fistula.  I have been putting off the clinic staff by telling them that my mom is being tested.  Now I don't have that excuse to fall back on any more.  I am just so afraid that I will be disfigured for life.  I had a tech this weekend at the clinic I traveled to that had a fistula and it looked like the @$%$%  Rocky Mountains.  I would like to be able to wear short sleeves in the future.  I am also one who works on her laptop at dialysis and I would like to continue to be able to do so. 

Crap, crap, crap.   :stressed;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »

If you want you can opt for a temporary chest catheter while working up living donors. That's what Jenna will do if the timing doesn't work out.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »

I've had my chest catheter since January.  My center is hot and heavy on getting it out.  They had me in for a vein mapping back in February and I have successfully put off the surgery until now.  I just don't see a way out and it would be nice to take a shower....
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:02:32 PM »

So sorry, hun.  :grouphug; I hope your next living donor jumps at the chance and sails through testing.

I've had my chest catheter since January.  My center is hot and heavy on getting it out.  They had me in for a vein mapping back in February and I have successfully put off the surgery until now.  I just don't see a way out and it would be nice to take a shower....

Your 'way out' is simple. I want to keep the cath. When it's your body and you on dialysis, you can get a fistula straight away.

I assume that you have read up on the dangers and disadvantages to the tunneled line. (Infection and lower clearances) I had a line in for a month, and I took showers every day, just carefully. I am so glad that I put off getting a fistula, because my veins are crap as it is so it did not look like it was going to work out, and I have no scarring from my cath.

There are people who use their line for years and years. Rightside was very helpful in reassuring me that it could be done if I needed it, as he had his for a year and I don't think ever had infection with it. There are many others, too. Your unit may not like it, but it is not their decision.

Good luck!  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »

Jenna had her chest catheter last time for 9 months. There was never a problem. I did use a SureSeal and Saran Wrap so she could shower once in awhile. Do what feels right for you.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 02:56:48 AM »

Cattlekid do the buttonhole technique on the fistual won't disfigure it as much...makes it easier to stick too!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 11:50:22 AM »

I'm so sorry your mum failed the testing.  What a blow for both of you.  If there's one upside to being tested as a living donor though, it's that some things are picked up on which may not have been otherwise.  I really hope the you have good news with the next person! 

As for a fistula ... Blokey refused for the longest time and had a chest line for eighteen months without getting an infection.  Obviously a fistula has made dialysis better (clearance wise) and he can now shower with no fear(!), but I'm sure you can put them off for a few more months if that's what you want ...

>:D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »

:cuddle;  I'm so sorry.  It's tough when they start bumping your possible donors.  I hope you're Mom's okay, too.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »

I am so very sorry    :grouphug;

I have a chest line ....and.....I've had mine for a year. No problems whatsover. I have never, ever had even one infection and it runs well ....once in awhile they have to put the liquid draino down my line but generally, it runs quite well and my clearances are super.   :) 

I also shower daily with it. I wash around the site very carefully. I use Dove Sensistive Skin bodywash, that's all and use a white chlorhexidine stick afterwards and swab around with the little stick. I wrap my tubing with saran wrap with an elastic band to keep it snug. It doesn't get wet. I was determined to make it work having a daily shower. I went from last Aug to Christmas Eve with no shower, and I hated it so I pushed my unit (Begged) to let me try showering and have done so since. Chrismas Eve was a real treat. I think I stood in the shower for half an hour!    ;D   

The only downside to the cath in the chest is that you cannot swim, that's all.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:22:55 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 04:59:59 AM »

I'm with Poppy on this (don't tell her hubby!!).... I'm sorry your mother didn't pass the test, but that they found something to potentially be an issue is a good thing in that it can get checked out more closely and hopefully get on top of anything that may be brewing ASAP.

Yes, it's a rreal blow and very upsetting for you both - I went through the same with my own sister when she alsoi failed at the last hurdle. All I can say is what I said to her at the time (and still feel) - *ALL* I could ask or expect of her as my sister was that she step up and be tested. I'm not angry with her that it didn't work out - it's not HER fault!! And while it was really frustrating at the time as it felt like a real setback, I also felt a little relieved because if I did take her kidney I would forever feel responsible for her should something happen to her that could be traced back to her donating. Now, I didn't have to worry about that.

Your mom did all she could do - get tested - it didn't work out, but maybe it is a blessing in disgusise - specially if that testing has potentially picked up something of concern.

You will get your tx in due course and the disappointment will pass. Frankly I'd be more disappointed if my family members didn't put their hand up to test.....

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »