I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 09:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  easier transplantation
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: easier transplantation  (Read 1896 times)
st789

« on: July 27, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-kidney-transplant-hla-20110727,0,3302148.story?track=rss

From los angeles times.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »

A few members on here can atest to the plasmapheresis procedure. Guess the LA Times had a slow news day to put this story in the papersince this is nothing new, well new to us that is. ;D

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:53:49 AM »

I saw this too and tried to post a comment on the news story but it wouldn't work on LATimes site.
Somehow they managed to overlook one of the premiere hospitals using this protocol right here in Los Angeles... Cedars Sinai

ABO Incompatibility in Transplants

In the past, a transplant could not be successfully done unless the organ donor and recipient had compatible blood types. Because of this, an estimated 30% of patients needing a new kidney were turned down due to blood incompatibility issues.

Today, at the Cedars-Sinai Transplant Immunotherapy Program, innovative new procedures allow the transplant team to break the ABO incompatibility barrier. This means that people who previously had no access to a kidney transplant now can have one - with success rates nearly as high as transplant performed with blood-type-compatible recipients and donors.

Blood Type Compatibility

All people fit into one of four blood types -- A, B, AB and O. Everyone is compatible with some blood types but not all of them as follows:

People with blood type A are compatible with donor organs (or blood) from a person with type A or O blood.
People with blood type B are compatible with blood type B or O.
People with blood type AB are compatible with blood types A, B, AB or O. They are known as universal recipients.
People with blood type O are compatible only with organs or blood donated by another type O person. People with type O blood are known as universal donors because all blood types are compatible with type O blood.
If a person receives a kidney from someone with an incompatible blood type, his or her body will recognize the organ as foreign and destroy it.

How ABO Incompatible Transplants Work

A process called plasmapheresis is used to overcome the ABO incompatibility between kidney donor and recipient.

Plasmapheresis removes the plasma portion of the blood. This is where the antibodies are that seek and destroy ABO incompatible organs. A person may have to undergo several sessions of plasmapheresis before surgery to bring the antibodies down. After at the last plasmapheresis treatment, the kidney recipient receives an intravenous infusion of immune globulin to replace the antibodies the body needs to fight infections and to help prevent the harmful antibodies from returning.

When the recipient's antibodies against the donor's blood type have dropped to very low levels, the transplant can take place. The kidney transplant recipient may have to undergo several more plasmapheresis and immune globulin treatments after the transplant.

Follow-Up Care After Kidney or Pancreas Transplantation

A person who has had an ABO incompatible transplant will need to be monitored carefully after the transplant surgery to make sure that rejection isn't developing. All transplant patients need to take medicines to prevent organ rejection. People who have had an ABO incompatible transplant need to take additional medicines because of the ABO incompatibility.

If there are signs of rejection, a person who has had an ABO incompatible transplant may need more plasmapheresis treatments. It may also be necessary to take a tissue sample from the new kidney to examine under a microscope to make sure that rejection is not happening.

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Kidney-and-Pancreas-Transplant-Center/ABO-Incompatibility-and-Sensitized-Transplantation/ABO-Incompatibility-in-Transplants.aspx

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:31:49 AM »

I agree, Karol. Cedars is really THE place for this procedure. Dare I say that they seemed a bit too disappointed that my PRA was as low as it was? They were one of the pioneers of desensitization.

And yeah, Chris, this really is old news, but is certainly not the first time I've seen media breathlessly report some "innovation" that has been in common practice for years and years.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »