I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 01:26:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  With FSGS, how long have I got?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: With FSGS, how long have I got?  (Read 6043 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: June 25, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

My ESRD was diagnosed as FSGS. 

When I applied for a cadaver transplant, the transplant team's neph told me to "be realistic" (never good news from a doctor) about how long my transplant would last before FSGS claimed it too.

Anybody here with FSGS?  How long did your transplant last before it started to fail too?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »

What is FSGS?     ???

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 06:20:52 PM »

FSGS = Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis.

The healthy functioning tissue in the kidney is gradually replaced with useless non-functional scar tissue.  It's suspected to be caused by some chronic inflammation that attacks kidney tissue.  Thus it will attack a transplant too--eventually.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:47 PM »

Rightside,  I also have FSGS.  My transplant was 9/10.  I had a biopsy at 2 weeks and they could already see FSGS in the new kidney.  But, we knew all along that was a risk.  My numbers almost 10 months post, are good.  1.8 creatinine and most other numbers are in the normal range.  I feel great.   So, I refuse to worry about it.  I'll take all the time I can get with this kidney and am grateful for each day.   It took years for it to take over my native kidneys so I'm hoping it is slow growing this time too.   

RichardMel has FSGS and his transplant is newer than mine.  He hasn't mentioned any signs of FSGS (unless I missed that info!)   

My docs aren't alarmist, just realist.  I would rather know that be surprised.    I'll be thinking of you    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 08:04:12 PM »

Thanks for explaining. My thoughts are with you   :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »

I'm not aware that recurrent FSGS is a given.  It is not destined to happen to a new kidney.  Sure, there's a risk, but it is not written in stone.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

What a crappy disease FSGS....I hope there are some new treatments that can help slow the progression to the new kidney. Thinking of you Rightside and all who deal with this!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:12:30 AM »

FSGS sucks that's for sure.

Paris, you know I haven't asked if either of my two biopsies showed FSGS signs (and I am not certain if they would tell me if it did??? Maybe I SHOULD ask next clinic if I remember). In a way I'm not sure I want to know, because then I'd be asking myself the same questions.

All I know is that I asked prior to transplant what the chances were of FSGS attacking the donated kidney (if it be live or otherwise). I was told around 30-40% chance that it could occur.

So I asked "If it did attack the transplant how long till it could kill it off" - and the doc said "well we can't be sure of course because every case is different, but you have a slow moving form of FSGS that took YEARS to take you to ESRD with your existing kidneys - so it's reasonable to assume that it would work at a similar rate with any transplanted kidney" - the idea being that it probably would be more likely (in my case anyway) that the tx would fail for other reasons than FSGS.

Now of course who knows? These hideous diseases have no rhyme and reason, and really it's just guesswork on the docs part. At the end of the day I see that there's not much I can do about it one way or another. So if they tell me at some point it's there and causng trouble, well just have to treat it as best one can (control BP basically-which we're doing anyway) and hope it's slow. it's not like taking tomatoes and peas out of my diet would help or something, so i try to not focus on stuff I can't control and worry about it when it happens. i figure the stress of worrying about what if's probably do my transplant less good anyway from raising BP and anxiety levels. Maybe some would think I'm in denial... I don't think so - I'm well aware of the chances, and what could be happening - I'm not sitting here thinking "it won't happen to me! I'll be in that 60%!" - I just try to focus on things I can control and what's happening now.

I know that doesn't really help RS (or Paris, or anyone else).. but that's just my view.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:11:50 AM »

My impression is that it depends on how aggressive your case of FSGS was in the first place. I have a slowly progressive form of FSGS. Because of it's slow progression, my neph and the transplant neph aren't concerned about recurrance.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »

My impression is that it depends on how aggressive your case of FSGS was in the first place. I have a slowly progressive form of FSGS. Because of it's slow progression, my neph and the transplant neph aren't concerned about recurrance.

yep, exactly the same thought process for me. You put it so much better :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:34:24 PM »

That's the problem.  I don't know how long I had CKD.  Because I wasn't diagnosed until I had already reached stage IV CKD.

So I don't know how long the process took.  I'm willing to guess that from stage I to stage IV took a number of years though.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »