I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 05:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Question about transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about transplant  (Read 4086 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: June 24, 2011, 01:33:16 PM »

Just wondering if the "neck line" will be put in when I'm having the transplant, under the anesthetic?  I dread having the neck line put in, I did not take well to it when I had to have one inserted for emergency dialysis.  Just wondering if it will be put in while I'm having the surgery and won't feel a thing?

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »

Wait, what neck line? Who said you were going to have one placed during a transplant?
During mine, I had an emergency D access put in my neck for a couple of days because they thought they needed to do D and my access had clotted off.  If I still had a working graft, they wouldn't have needed that at all.  As far as I know, they aren't mandatory unless the kidney isn't working well enough and you don't have any other working graft.

I was knocked out for mine, though, but it was done during another surgery to fix complications, not the transplant itself.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »

I was given a book by my transplant team to read prior to transplant and it said there would be a neck line put in.

I will have to clarify this with my team, but I thought it kind of strange.

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:32:32 PM »

Well, every hospital has a different protocol, I suppose.  But I agree, that still seems odd.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 04:50:26 PM »

I think you're right, probably different hospital, different country, etc, would be the reason why, you're likely very right by saying, different protocol.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »

Carl had a neck line for his transplant. He was still in his room when it was inserted and still awake. They could not get it in from one side and had to go in from the other.

I'm sure this is NOT what you wanted to hear!

:embarassed:

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 06:01:09 PM »

Oh no!!    :(

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

I had a neck line, two different lines (1 in each arm) for medications, etc.  The tiny bp line put in at the wrist(it takes constant bp--no arm cuff waking you up!) one more line in left arm that wasn't hooked up to a line, just there "in case".   I don't remember a thing about the neck line, so I must have been out.  I do remember them taking it out. Not as bad as I anticipated.      It did feel strange to wake up with 4 lines in the arms, 1 neck line, the drainage bag at the incision, a catheter, the leg compression thingies --- I felt a little Frankensteinish!     Every step of the way, I found that what I worried about was much easier than I thought.     Of course, the morphine pump may be responsible for that!!     :2thumbsup;     :clap;        Like my dear Grandma always said "don't borrow trouble".  She was a wise lady.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
lawphi

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 08:24:08 AM »

Hammett had a central line in his neck, a regular iv and an arterial line in his arm. He was conscious only for the iv. The lines were small like an iv, but used to administer different medications.  The central line in his neck came out first.

The lines were not as scary looking as I would have thought. They look better than a dialysis catheter.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Jie

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:09:12 PM »

I had the neck line as well during the transplant. It was put in when I was sleeping and did not feel anything. All my medicines (getting to blood vessels) went through it and blood samples were drawn from it. It was not too bad. 
Jelena

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:12 PM »

My husband had a neck line as well. I didn't bother him too much. All medications were going thru it and blood drawn as well. They took it out in a couple of days. I wouldn't worry about it too much, considering that you are going to have that for only a few days and feel so much better after the surgery... good luck!

Jelena
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »

The neck line is called an interjugular IV. They put those in so you don't have to be constantly stuck for blood draws while in the hospital. Mine was a little uncomfortable but glad not to have the extra needle sticks. They put it in when you are under anesthesia.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »

Thanks everyone for your insights. I have had one put in also, but I did not take well to it as I was completely awake when they did it last year for emerg dialysis. I am relieved to hear that it will for transplant, likely be put in while I'm under the general anesthetic! However, I did not take well to it at all afterwards--it was so heavy on my neck and caused an old neck injury to flare up and bother me for 2 months after, I was not a happy camper!  Plus, my 9 year old son fainted at the sight of me with it in, even though he was warned ahead of time what I would look like.....unfortunately mine was in longer than 2 days--more like 5 and when my family visited me on the 4th day, that's when he fainted, right on the hospital floor   :(
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:31:26 PM by Cordelia » Logged

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »

I didn't have a neck line put in (nor a drainage bag either).

But now that I've heard about it, I wish they had put a neck line in.  With me, they kept sticking me with needles to draw blood for tests, waking me up each time, infiltrating me a couple times.

At least these nurses and techs knew how to take blood from my fistula without damaging it, which helped.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 05:34:58 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I just thought of something with your above post, Rithtside!!! I have a central access line in my chest--I'm wondering if they will even HAVE to put a neck line in me? That would be just WONDERFUL if they could use my central access line instead!!! I will have to ask! Thanks for the idea!!!    :grouphug;

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 02:19:04 AM »

I woke up with the neck line post-tx (thank god they did it then!). I knew I'd have all the tubes and drains and stuff coming out, but I didn't expect the neck line, so it was a bit of a surprise.. but it was actually disconnected pretty early on (thank god, then I could have a shower!!)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »

Oh my gosh, you weren't told ahead of time?    :o

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:04 PM »

Oh my gosh, you weren't told ahead of time?    :o

I'm not swure - was this question directed to me?

Many years prior to my tx I did go to a seminar put on by the transplant team and they had pictures and stuff of folks post-tx, showing all the tubes, drains and stuff. Maybe the example person had a neck line - I honestly don't know - but it wasn't specifically identified as something that would happen - but my general thought on that stuff was that if/when I would be lucky enough to get a TX I fully expected to wake up a) in pain and b) with all this stuff coming out of all kinds of places - so the neck line wasn't really a surprise or anything that bad in that respect - and I actually had way less pain than I expected (which is good, because the mofphne machine broke down 18 hours in!!  :rofl;). I just condered all that stuff would be part and parcel of the procesure, not much I could do about it except deal with whatever happened. Luckily for me it was really no big deal.

I had much more "fun" with the catheter which they insisted stay on for much longer than normal and it was really bugging me for any number of reasons I won't bother to go into here. It was a relief to get that thing off!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 07:05:41 PM »

I'm sorry, Richard, yes, I was asking you. I'm glad it ended up not causing you any problems.    :grouphug;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »