I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 07:38:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  caregiving....
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: caregiving....  (Read 5960 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: May 27, 2011, 04:18:07 AM »

...is hard work and time consuming (like you didn't know that lol). Now that the weather's nice, and here we are celebrating memorial day, what is on your agenda for YOUR time? You know, the "me time". I'm relaxin in the AC becuase it's going to be HOT-HOT-HOT. One car is broke down, so getting around is limited anywaylol. I doubt it will be fixed today and they're closedover the hiliday weekend. Urgg...

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:06:24 AM »

My "me time" is at night, I go and have a long bath with my  book,  I can be soaking in there for over 45 minute, oblivious to any thing and I love every precious moment. I do not get disturb at all. I can not wait for night time, sad isn't it. What ever floats your boat.

How are things going, good I hope.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »

No, it's not sad Billy! Night time is sometimes the greatest. Finally, all is quieted down and you get to unwind. I do my best writing late night and in the wee hours when my mind no longer has the hustle and bustle of the day running through it. Being abook reader have you aninterest in the Kindle or Nook? They are highly popular. I'm a little on the fence withthem right now. My sister loves hers

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:24:43 AM »

Tex, I have thought about a kindle but as I only read in the bath I'm thinking if I drop it ,  it will be cream crackered. You sound a lot brighter to-day. Enjoy your Shrimp.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:03:41 PM »

My Me Time is whenever Blokey's at dialysis and those afternoons when I don't work!  I get lots of Me Time, but use it to do all those tiresome jobs which MUST be done.  Blokey thinks we have a bunch of pixies who pop by everyday to do all the menial jobs.  I'm past moaning about it now.

;D

I was thinking about a Kindle, but I like my books (sorry, butting in on your conversation here!)  I like turning the corners down and getting the pages wet in the bath.  Then I got my new phone last week and it has a free book application on it so I've been reading books I've never even heard of ... it's making me think I should get a Kindle, even though I'm trying to skirt the issue because I feel as though I'm letting books down.

If that makes sense ...

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »

I like the time when he's at D too. I'd love to say it's my "me time, but , it's my heavy duty cleaning time! lol  We have those same Pixies here. Should we tell them where they're really from? hee  I'd like a kindle jus because it's so many books in a tiny little package. I could clear the bookshelves..I thinkmy eyes my might hurt after a while. Even a regular screen hurts my eyes.  I AM in a brighter mood today! It's summer, and everyone is alive and doing ok here. Yippe!

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 09:09:41 PM »

Aww 'me' time  ;D  So far,i/we got to take my little doggies to the 'leash free island' thats near by and watch them have so much fun. it's such a beautiful walk and it Makes me happy. Hubby went too and we enjoyed being away and not thinking about anything just watching the dogs have fun..  Enjoyed my watering of our garden and squatting low trying to see the little foods that are happening.  Just anything that 'takes ya away' for even just moments  is very welcomed isnt it  ;)   

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 06:06:15 AM »

I'm not a care partner for dialysis anymore, but the me time is so very, very important.

My big plans for this holiday weekend (and my excitement is building by the minute) is that another IHDer is coming for a visit! Woo Hoo!!!!!

:clap; :clap; :clap;

I hope we have a glorious weekend, even though it is going to be HOT! Going to the mountains where the air is fresher and cooler will be a welcome diversion.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 05:20:23 PM »

Gonna get on my Motorcycle and ride to Lynchburg and hang out with other bikers. Iam so looking forward to it. Riding my bike is so liberating.  You have to be a bike rider to know what Iam talking about. Once it is in your blood, it is hard to get out!

It has been a long time since I took a long ride on it. Going with a couple friends of ours. Husband wants me to go and enjoy myself, so that is just what I Will Do!!!  My sister will stay with him while Iam gone. I promised to be home by evening to D. him.  We plan on leaving about 9:30 and get back about 4:00.

IAM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

lmunchkin

P.S. I do wish he could go with us, like ole times!  I MISS THOSE DAYS TERRIBLY!!!!!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 08:14:57 AM »

munchkin, Hope you have a lovely day out.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »

ohhhhhhh munch.... do scooters that go slower but still street leagal count??  I was CRAZY for my scoot and honda 90 and only recently have been w/o  :'(   Even in slow mo..lol... riding my bicycle is liberating.  I love 2 wheeled (mororized or not) rides..  Ride for me too k.... 

Woofgang

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:22:15 PM »

My me time is after I have walked the dogs in the morning. I get home again around 05.30 and have a coffee and surf then get a couple of hours sleep and start the day again with breakfast with DH.
On the days he goes to the clinic, I do the must dos first then garden or craft with any leftover time.
Woo Hoo though, big Sis is coming for a visit next week and we are going to do sister stuff.

DH is a biker and i used to ride pillion but he's too weak to take a passenger atm. once the anaemia is sorted though I'll be back out there.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »

ok, I wanna go on the scooter too! 

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:09 AM »

I don't drive (it's a case of can't drive, won't drive) so told Blokey that I wanted a moped (scooter).  He kept on at me to go for it, and then other people told me that the lorries would blow me off the road so I lost my nerve.  Now I quite fancy one again; tomorrow I'll probably wimp out again.

;D

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2011, 07:13:22 PM »

Well Iam back from my ride, and had an awesome time.  I feel like a lobster though.  Dummy here rode sleeveless cause it was a Hot day. We started our travel through Nolensville to Shelbyville/Lewisburg, then to Lynchburg and had brunch in a cafe there full of Motorcycle riders.  Some friends I hadn't seen in years.  Just remenising the old days.

We picked up a few more riders we knew, and headed through Pulaski (Beautiful Scenery) then thru Columbia and on to Lawranceburg to pick up the "Natchez Trace" to head home. ILOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!  In fact, some of the people we know as riders are planning with me to meet at that same cafe tomorrow, but I will not be on my bike, I will be driving my husband to Lynchburg in the morning to this cafe where they are going to surprise him. 

He will be so surprised and I know he will be emotional about it. Lady's, we all know REAL MEN DO CRY!  They will be Happy tears cause some of these friends had no idea what happened to him. They were shocked when I told them!

I did ask them not to discuss this with him.  If he wanted to talk about it with them, then he will! But they wondered what happened and it made me feel real good that they thought of us!

We left out about 9:15 and I got home about 4:30.  hope to do more in the future, but that will come with time!!

Boswife, yes scooters count. Like you said, anything 2 wheels IS LIBERATING!!!!!
Can't wait till tomorrow!  He thinks we are going to lynchburg to eat and to get him out of house. TEEEE heee, will he be surprised!!!

What did everyone else do this past Holiday?

lmunchkin     :flower;

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 09:00:25 PM »

oh boy, sounds wonderful (how about devine  ;D ) and i cant wait to hear how tomorrow goes for hubby!!  REALLY!!  Precious moments for sure.  And,,,,,,,,,  i went on a longgggggggg bicycle ride tonight :)  started off kinda tough as i havent been riding regularly, but ohhhhhh how wonderful it was.  I miss my scooter though, it was so great and i miss it bad.  For somereason, it reminded me of my trail ride (on my horse) days and i had a huge attachment to it.  my bicycle is dear too though..  :2thumbsup;

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:32 PM »

Well, we got back from Lynchburg and Hubby was "shocked". He was so surprised and yes it brought tears to his eyes.  He could not believe that they came there "especially" for him.  It was Wonderful!!!  Made me realize just what "True" friends can be.  They even surprised me, by bringing some other people that I had not seen the other day when I was there. We packed that little cafe, "Iron kettle" is its name!

We got home about 2:30pm.  We would have stayed but he got sick to his stomach and was very tired after an eventful day.  He told me on the way home that he was so surprised that I arranged this for him. He never saw it coming!!!!!!

Really was a Blessed Day For Us Both!  God is so Good!

Boswife, I have riden horse's a few times in my younger years!  I remember the feeling of it and it is very much like 2 wheel riding. I loved it (riding horses) and forgot how wonderful to be on such an Awesome Animal.  So Free Spirited and run with the wind!  Beautiful Animal!!!!!!!

lmunchkin   :flower;
"Thanks Lord, for yet another Memorable Day!"    :pray; :pray; :pray;

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 10:59:54 AM »

Beautiful, touching and tear bringing post * munch*  ;D    Live is good, every day we're blessed with  :flower;

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 04:54:28 AM »

lmunch sounds like a such a nice day

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 05:16:09 AM »

Our long holiday weekend was jam-packed with good things. We had a wonderful visit from Cariad and her family. We went to the Smokies and saw turkeys, deer, a bear, and salamanders. The boys learned how to catch salamanders and they were even able to hold a painted lady butterfly on their fingertips! We picnicked by a mountain stream, hiked on a mountain trail to a beautiful waterfall and crossed a log bridge to an "island" in the middle of a mountain river.

On Monday before they had to leave Carl took the guys out in his canoe while Cariad and I just had a lovely chance to hang out.

Oh, and we had watermelon and home-made ice cream!

:2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :2thumbsup;

It was great to see them enjoy the wonder of the mountains!

So THIS weekend we are in Massachusetts with our daughter and family (including those two lovely girls in my ID photo). Tomorrow morning we head up to Maine to visit with IKETCHUM and his family!

Yes, life is good.  :flower;

Aleta

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »

Your travels sound utterly divine, Aleta!  Life is indeed good!

:2thumbsup;

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »

That sounds so great! What a nice get away. I love nature stuff but haven't done it in a while. Oh by th way Althea, even though Carl had a TP you STILL are his caregiver. You are a WIFE my dear...

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:31 PM »

And today I got to meet IKETCHUM (and the secret is out, he is a great guy!) and we walked out to one of Maine's lovely lighthouses.

I'm having a GREAT time. And maybe on Wednesday on our way back to our daughter's house in Massachusetts we can stop to see Kimberlyn!  :2thumbsup;

And I'm happy because I just sent a book to Des in South Africa. And I tell you, it was cheaper to send it from Amazon than it would have been to order it from a bookseller like Amazon in South Africa! Go figure!

I'm so enjoying getting to know my cyber friends better.  :yahoo;

Tomorrow morning we are going to pick up a whole bunch of live lobsters, then take them to IKETCHUM's to cook them. We are having such a wonderful time and the weather is great.

And get this, there is a lovely wisteria arbor just outside the door to our room/cabin at this lovely inn in Glen Cove, Maine.  :waving;

Aleta

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »

On the way to the lighthouse.

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

Great pic, Aleta.  I'm so glad you are having such a good time and tell Bill hey for me!

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »