I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:26:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Biopsy after transplant?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Biopsy after transplant?  (Read 5888 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: January 11, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »

A staff member from hospital mentioned that Jenna would get a biopsy at 6 months and one each year after transplant. I said, "no, I never heard that before...? Aren't biopsy's risky, and only done when rejection is suspected?" The girl was calling because she wanted permission to retain a "small piece" from each biopsy for a research project. She said that we should have been told that the biopsy was standard protocol for the center, and keeping a piece for the research project was optional. I said, "I don't recall ever hearing about the plans to do periodic biopsies, and could someone from the team call us back?" Jenna also does not recall any discussion of biopsies. Anyone have any insight here?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:18:28 PM »

I know nothing about the actual answer to this question, but in my opinion the less messing with the kidney the better

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »

I neve had a biopsy after my transplant until 4 yrs later when I was in rejection. I dont think I would allow a biospy to be done unless in rejection.  :twocents;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:52:46 PM »

There are risks for all medical procedures.  Nothing is risk free.

It all depends on the transplant center as to biopsys. 

Some do it to see just what is happening with the kidney. 

Even though the kidney may not be rejecting it can be damaged by the medication to suppress the immune system.  They maybe trying to judge the health of the kidney through the years and see if any such damage is occurring to it from medication or the immune system.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:47:27 PM »

A staff member from hospital mentioned that Jenna would get a biopsy at 6 months and one each year after transplant. I said, "no, I never heard that before...?

My center has the same requirement.  Not that they tell the patients during the years they're waiting for the transplant.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:20:14 AM »

I only had one biopsy after my transplant and that was just because they suspected rejection which they were able to stop (rejection is common right after a transplant and they watch for that and stop it with more immunosuppressant meds).

I would ask if that is protocal and if it is manditory. I don't see why they would do that but I guess they feel it is better safe than sorry. There are other signs of rejection they can look out for besides having to do a biopsy.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kelliOR

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 08:14:21 AM »

My transplant center's protocol called for a 6 month and 1 year biopsy.  However, during the first 6 months I had a total of 4 biopsies.  Labs and ultra sounds may yield some information of the health of the transplanted kidney, but only a biopsy can indicate what is happening on a cellular level. I had had a slight rise in creatinine without any other symptoms.  I had showed some acute rejection after a month and was treated with medication.  A later biopsy showed some toxicity from my meds which needed adjustment  So far I'm doing well.  Its quite a ride the first 6 months.

There's a saying around transplant centers that "They give you a new kidney (heart, lung, liver) and take it back one piece at a time".

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 08:19:26 AM »

My transplant center's protocol called for a 6 month and 1 year biopsy.  However, during the first 6 months I had a total of 4 biopsies.  Labs and ultra sounds may yield some information of the health of the transplanted kidney, but only a biopsy can indicate what is happening on a cellular level. I had had a slight rise in creatinine without any other symptoms.  I had showed some acute rejection after a month and was treated with medication.  A later biopsy showed some toxicity from my meds which needed adjustment  So far I'm doing well.  Its quite a ride the first 6 months.

There's a saying around transplant centers that "They give you a new kidney (heart, lung, liver) and take it back one piece at a time".
lol nice! Ya in that case they would need to do a biopsy. I just never heard of doing on for no reason (6 months and 1 year no matter what)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:03:05 AM »

They may have put her into some sort of a study group where results from these biopsies would become statistics.  Unless rejection or some other major problem is suspected there is no good reason for a biopsy to be done.  Standard blood tests and or less invasive procedures such as an ultrasound exam should be able to tell the whole story.  For now I would go with the program and make sure she gets transplanted.  After the transplant if labs are good tell them to forget the biopsies.  They won't be able to do a thing about it.  As a side note I was called back to the hospital a couple of weeks after my transplant because rejection was suspected.  They told me to prepare for a biopsy but that they wanted to do an ultrasound first.  The ultrasound was normal so the biopsy was cancelled.  My labs returned to normal almost immediately.  My problem was dehydration, I just wasn't drinking enough.  Several years of the renal diet and fluid restrictions take a while to get away from.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »

They won't be able to do a thing about it.

That's true.  What are they going to do?  Take out the kidney?     8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »

My problem was dehydration, I just wasn't drinking enough. Several years of the renal diet and fluid restrictions take a while to get away from.

That's so true.... I remember after my transplant when they told me to drink and don't stop drinking... I remembered thinking, "Hey, no problem, I will drink till I go to sleep.", then I remember after drinking so much I was getting full and couldn't drink as much as they wanted me too... I had to slowly work my way up to the amount they wanted me to drink!  :lol;

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 09:12:24 AM »

Off subject but also you should find out what sort of immunosuppression they plan to use.  Will it be a steroid free protocol?  If not I highly suggest that you request one.  Most of the evils of Prednisone you may have heard about are true.  If you get away with none you'll be miles ahead in terms of limiting puffiness, bloating, and appetite side effects not to mention the mental well being of the patient.  In my opinion the most minimal immunosuppression that works is best because it offers the lowest amount of toxicity to the graft.  You want just enough to keep the kidney happy while minimizing damage. The gold standard these days seems to be a combination of Prograf and Cellcept.  Expect high levels of immunosuppression in the beginning that will be tapered off as time goes by.  
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 09:22:16 AM »

Off subject but also you should find out what sort of immunosuppression they plan to use.  Will it be a steroid free protocol?  If not I highly suggest that you request one.  

It also depends on other medical issues... not just the transplant. For example, I have SLE (Lupus), for over about 10 years I was on Prednisone to control my SLE and once I went into remission I was taken off of it. However, after my first transplant I was put back on it, obviously for transplant reasons, but the main reason was to keep my SLE in remission, b/c if it's not it will attack the transplant. So, if you can get away with no prednisone after transplant, yes, I also suggest it, however... in some cases it is not possible due to other medical reasons.

Jill D.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 10:43:04 AM »

I had a biopsy of my new kidney less than 2 weeks after my transplant. I wasn't real happy about it, but I had a positive-crossmatch kidney transplant and this was the only way to see if the antibody level in my labs was of concern to my new kidney. As it turned out, everything was good, but this was the only way to see things at a cellular level. Mayo Clinic's protocol is to "possibly" have a biopsy of the new kidney at the 4-month follow-up, and also possibly at the 1 year check up. I think it also depends on the cause of your kidney failure. Mine was caused by FSGS, and there always is the possibility that the disease could recur in the new kidney, so if my labs start showing decreased function in my new kidney the only way to know if the FSGS is returning is with a biopsy.
I, frankly, prefer that they leave my "new friend" alone!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »

My problem was dehydration, I just wasn't drinking enough. Several years of the renal diet and fluid restrictions take a while to get away from.

That's so true.... I remember after my transplant when they told me to drink and don't stop drinking... I remembered thinking, "Hey, no problem, I will drink till I go to sleep.", then I remember after drinking so much I was getting full and couldn't drink as much as they wanted me too... I had to slowly work my way up to the amount they wanted me to drink!  :lol;
Yeah I remember when I had my transplant they kept waking me up and asking me to drink every hour and I was thinking, "Damn it just let me sleep! I will drink when I am awake like normal people do!!" lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:19 PM »

I spoke to the coordinator about the biopsy. She said it's become standard to take a "baseline"
biopsy at one month following transplantation. I wanted to know how to determine if the benefit
outweighs the risk of the procedure. I had researched everywhere on the internet and could not
find any similar protocol or info. She said she would find out. She also said, as with any medical
procedure, Jenna had the right to refuse it when it comes up, if she wants.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 11:44:44 PM »

Towards the 16th year of my kidney transplant they told me it was just wearing out.  Then they wanted to do a biopsy.  I said "we both know what is wrong, I don't need proof."

I've heard of two instances where they went to do the biopsy and "blew" the kidney.  I don't know what that means.  I assume they hit an artery.

Unless the labs are bad I would NOT allow a biopsy.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 11:05:30 AM »

My center does not do a biopsy unless rejection is suspected.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 11:28:14 AM »

Towards the 16th year of my kidney transplant they told me it was just wearing out.  Then they wanted to do a biopsy.  I said "we both know what is wrong, I don't need proof."

I guess they like to do a biopsy EVEN if they KNOW it is rejection that can't be stopped because they want to know what caused the rejection. They want to know if it was caused by not taking the medication. Then they would deny your ability to go back on the transplant list right away ..

But if they find it is natural causes / wearing out / etc then they put you on the list again right away.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I might be.  :thx;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »