I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 07:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  STUDENT RESEARCH: biohazard waste?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: STUDENT RESEARCH: biohazard waste?  (Read 6063 times)
Designstudent

« on: January 11, 2007, 05:20:21 PM »

hello everyone!

we are now starting our final semester, which means finalizing our project and building a model to present and the end of the semester.  we have thought of possibly adding an new feature that combines a couple of our already existing concepts.  What we want to do is address the waste issue.  not necessarily the paper waste from random things that you guys might have like food wrappers or kleenex, but the actual medical waste that accumulates from a dialysis session.  the problem is since we couldnt do a visit we dont know how much there is ???   just from me and tony brainstorming we figured that there would be a seringe, the tubes that transport the blood?, and filters for the dialysis machines?, do these things get changed often or only once a month? i would assume they get changed every time but that is an assumption that i would hope that you all could clarify this for us.  please let us know :grouphug;

alan and tony
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:50:20 PM »

Are "gloves" considered Medical Waste?  They go through a box per shift per person.  Lots of damn gloves.  They use 3 to 4 syringes during my run.  They do reuse some dialysors but only about 25 times.  Some clinics don't reuse at all.  Of course tubing is disposable.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 07:52:01 PM »

Some dialyzers are reused for twenty five to forty times depending on the patient's and staff's demands and clinic policy. There are dialysis hookups to consider with the lines to and from the patient that are hazardous waste, the needles used on the patients, needles from the epo and iron shots and other medication, as well as non reuse dialyzers.  There are also considerations for cleaning the chairs and tables used.  Where do you throw away the bloodied junk, too?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:44:41 PM »

Here some of us do have the reuse kidneys.  20 times max.   They are capped on all ports and put into a container then taken and cleaned, disinfected and tested, then labeled and put away for the next time person comes in for treatment.

Syringes, needles go into the sharps container.

Tubing and one time kidneys  goes into the medical waste containers.

Gloves go to garbage and sheets and blankets used go to laundry basket.

Chairs and machines are washed between treatments of patients.

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:50:48 PM »

No reuse here.  Everything is thrown out in a hazard bin.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 10:12:18 PM »

I think you should really visit a few different dialysis centers - they vary greatly.
Better yet, do what this woman did: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1931.msg26163#msg26163

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:06:57 PM »

There are many things used during a treatment that are considered hazardous waste.  Depending on the type depends on how it is disposed of initially. 

Sharps
All needles, syringes, and glass vials from medication.  Basically anything sharp, anything that may have a needle attached to it, or anything that may be able to be easily broken such as glass medication vials.  Items don't need to have come in contact with the patients blood or dialysate to be discarded in this way.  They just need to have the potential of causing cuts and bleeding.  Larger items such as lightbulbs would not be considered as a sharp since they would not be discarded in a treatment area.  Some clinics have sharps containers mounted on the walls, some on the machines, and some on rolling carts.  All containers vary in size, but a few common rules apply to them all.  Do not shake the container to make more room, and empty the container when it reaches 1/2 to 3/4's full.  All sharps containers I have seen even have a dotted line on their labels showing you when to empty it.  Once it is full to this point close the opening of the bin and discard into one of the larger waste company bins.  Make sure that if you are putting these into an empty bin that you have a bag in the bin first.  You can also add sharps bins into partially full bins from the treatment floor as long as you can still tie the bag and the lid still closes securely.

All Other Medical Waste
All other medical waste is kind of a broad category.  All dialyzers are discarded this way single use or reuse when the have lived out their time.  All bloodlines must be discarded this way.  The rest of it depends on if there is any blood on the item.  Things like gauze, blue chux/underpads, gloves, tape, drape sheets, and so on only need to be put in the Biohazzard bins if they have been "Soiled".  If they appear to be clean they can be put into the regular trash bins.  Regular Biohazzard bins also vary from clinic to clinic, as do the policies on how they are changed.  Some have bins that stay on the floor that look like big red garbage cans that get filled up during change over, once they get full other bins from the waste company get wheeled out and the bins on the floor get transfered into them.  This is how we do it at my clinic.  If going this route it is important to remember to put a bag in the bin from the waste company before transfer the bag from your bins.  Tie the bag closed from your bin put it in the waste companies bin, and tie that one closed too.  This keeps any tears that may have occurred during transfer from making a big mess, plus the waste compnay does not have to take any bins that have not been properly tied and closed.  The other popular route is to just have the bins from the waste company on carts and wheel them out during changeover to be filled.  When changeover is done it can be wheeled back to your waste room to be tied and seeled, or left in the waste room to be filled up the rest of the way during the next changeover.  Some clinics don't like this way because though it may be more convenient, the bins from the waste company are always very beat up and trashy looking.

Proper Packaging
If you do not properly close your sharps containers, discard medical waste loose in the waste company bins, overfill the bins causing the lids not to fit or stay closed, or making the bins too heavy (yes they are supposed to have weight restrictions to keep the waste compnay employees from hurting their backs) the waste company driver can refuse to pick up those bins until you have corrected the problem regardless of if you have the room or not to store them.  The closing of the sharps containers, the tying of the bags and making sure not to over fill the bins are the big ones.  Most drivers will take the bins even if they are heavier then they should be.

Hope I have helped answer your question and maybe given you more info to chew on.  For more info about proper waste handling try going to one of the waste companies such as www.stericycle.com.  This is the company Fresenius uses for their U.S. medical waste company.

It's not easy being green.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 01:46:44 PM »

My center doesn't reuse anything.  They treat 40+ hemo patients every week.  (11 chairs, Two full morning shifts, one full afternoon shift, and one partial afternoon shift.)  For each patient, for every session, they use and pitch into a biohazard bin,  the filter and two long tubing lines, two needleless syringes used to start the blood flow from the needled lines in the acess, multiple pairs of gloves, and an assortment of bloody gauze, bandages, etc.  They put the needles in a separate sharps container - and that includes the two they use each time to hook up anyone with a graft or fistula, and the ones they use once each week at the beginning and end of the session to do blood work.  I'm not sure what they use for someone with a cath.  The sharps container also gets needles for all the doses of other meds - at least one each week for most of us, for things like epo, etc.  All the empty saline bags also go into the biohazard bins.

There is a big sharps container next to every chair, maybe 1ftx2ftx 3ft high.  The biohazard bins are even bigger - like big outdoor trash bins, and they have several in random spots around the unit.  Sorry, I don't know how fast they fill up, but given the amount of waste we produce, I doubt it takes more than a day or two to fill them.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Designstudent

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »

thans everyone for all the input  :2thumbsup; and keep it coming if there is anything else to add.  in hindsight this is something we should have addresses much earlier, but it wasnt the main focus of our project so i guess it got put on the back burner, but with this info i think we can definately come to a good solution.  and i will TRY to post a few teaser pages from out presentations on photobucket or something so you guys can get an idea of what we are doing  ;)

alan
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

I think small biohazard containers that could be emptied throughout the day in each cubicle.  Or else with your panel system have them attached to the back of a panel.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Designstudent

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »

I think small biohazard containers that could be emptied throughout the day in each cubicle.  Or else with your panel system have them attached to the back of a panel.

you must be a genius kitkatz...  ;D  we pretty much are already going down those lines, thats funny. we are trying to implement it into the panels, tony is working on this particular part, i know he has been checking in on the forums so ill make sure he sees that you said that. we also got some good info form that link okarol provided  :thx;

kitkatz... did you post some feedback on the pictures thread? i know you gave us alot of info during our research questions..  your obligated! ;D

alan
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 04:22:58 AM »

I was just thinking implement them onto the panels and possibly send them to a chute to be all collected in a larger disposal area, saves time collecting them for staff, and all is required is a disinfection wipe of the area where you insert the waste in the cubicle.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »