I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula and swelling
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula and swelling  (Read 3710 times)
jasperkat

« on: January 10, 2007, 06:44:37 AM »

My husbands new Fistula in his upper arm is causing his hand and arm to swell.  The nurses in dialysis say this is because it is new and the circulation has been changed.  Last night his arm was quite swollen so I elevated it and he will go to dialysis at noon today.  Is this normal and will it go away?  Has anyone else had this problem.  Hopefully his surgeon will be in today to see it and give them the go ahead to use it.  Any help would be appreciated!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:23:51 AM »

Remind me how "new" his fistula is.  You talked about "using" it today?  To me that means it is at least 3 months old.  And if it is JUST now swollen then there is something wrong.  Just my opinion. 

Let us know what the surgeon says~

jasperkat

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 09:33:10 AM »

His fistuala is only about 6 weeks old and the hand has been swelling off and on over the last week.  The surgeon is coming in today to look at it.  We are hopeful it is now ready too be used but that is the optimistic view!  I will let you know what he says.  Dialysis nurses were not real concerned an neither was the Neph Nurse Practitioner.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »

Yeah, you need to keep it elevated for sure.  Let us know.

Ask the surgeon if you can start working it with the ball.  Squeeze, Squeeze, Squeeze! 

:thx;

jasperkat

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »

He uses the ball at dialysis and when he watches TV.  He does it quite regularly.  Thanks Rerun for you answers.  I will be picking him up shortly and will find out the status - assuming the doctor actually showed up.
jasperkat

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:14 PM »

Well the doctor checked the fistula on Friday.  He says the swelling will diminish with time and they are going to try one needle tomorrow.  It seems very soon but the doctor said it was a very good vein/artery whatever they started with.  No calcifications.  I am so eager for this to work and get rid of his catheter.  Keep your fingers crossed!!
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 01:04:28 AM »

Good luck with the first try. I hope all goes well, and the fistula matures quickly!

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
jasperkat

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:13:19 AM »

Thanks for the good thoughts. Will let you know tomorrow how it goes.
scyankee

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:10:09 AM »

Jasperkat,
  Just so you know that your husband's arm will be swollen for months. I still have numbness in my wrist
and my fingers get swollen from my AV surgery in November 2004.  My fistula is in my upper arm and
because my veins are very small my fistula has not developed like others. Never will.  Hope all goes ok
with your husband's future treatments.
  SCYankee
jasperkat

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 09:40:41 AM »

I just got back from taking husband to dialysis.  At first the needle went in good then alarms started going off.  They messed around with it and it was working when I left.  I did ask that they put a suregel on it when they are done.  Thanks for advice on swelling.  The home health aid and nurse are having a hissy about it.
jasperkat

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 03:37:18 PM »

The fistula worked with one needle! The nurse was so good that hubby didn't need to have area numbed. Said it didn't hurt at all.  I hear she is the best nurse on the unit as far as the needles are concerned.  We are excited that this is a step forward.  When I read what all of you describe I realize how lucky he is.  No nausea, cramps, etc.  So anyway so far so good and the dialysis time has been cut by 15 minutes.  Maybe I should be suspicious - things are going way too well.  It is so nice to be able to talk about how I feel!!
scyankee

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 09:36:07 AM »

Jasperkat,
  Glad to hear things went well for your husband!  As long as your husband watches his fluid intake and they
go easy on how much to take off he should not have too much trouble with cramps or crashing. If he is good
about watching his weight between treatments it should go easy.
  Good luck to both of you!
  SCYankee
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »