I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  If You're Gonna Cheat ...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If You're Gonna Cheat ...  (Read 2797 times)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:40 AM »

... then enjoy the hell out of it!

I've lived in my home for 14 years.  In my back yard is the biggest (at least 10 feet above the roof), most prolific navel orange tree.  For 8 of those 14 years I have never touched one of my oranges except to clean it up and give it to friends and neighbors.  This past week my gardener picked a whole bunch of oranges for me to take to friends.  Six of those oranges had started to decay, so I cut off the bad parts and juiced the good parts.  Yup, you guessed it, I had me about 8 ounces of the sweetest, most delicious orange juice in the world.  Didn't even refrigerate it, drank it room temp.  I savored every single drop.  I think I may have even licked the inside of the glass!

P.S. My next lab draw isn't until May 11.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:35:30 AM »

i love it :)   how tempting now are they going to be KNOWING what your missing?? lol   Hubby actually is encouraged to have more than normal fruit (staying within his diabetic) intake as his potassium is low.  We planted a couple trees and cant wait... thing is, i know his #'s can change but we shall see.  Im sure glad you got to enjoy that delicious treat :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:48:46 AM »

peleroja, you little minky .it sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it. Some times I think, why not, does it hurt to have some thing you fancy now and a gain.
pdpatty

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

Good fo you! I am not as brave because my body holds onto evey mg of potassium it gets.

But ,oranges and orange juice don;t contain  killer amounts of potassium to begin with.

Orange juice, raw  juice from 1 orange 172mg

Orange juice, raw  1 cup 496 mg

Check out you favorite foods for potassium content  here....
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a306.pdf][url]http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a306.pdf[/url]

I wanted some radishes ,looked them up. 1 radish contains only 10 mg potassium  and from another site 1mg of phosphorus. Kinda like a free food that I really like.

No one has ever said how much potassium we can consume safely in a day but I would think less than 1,000mg ,which is 1gram. Normal is 2 grams for persons with normal kidney function.
*kana*

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »

I remember when I was pre dialysis and couldnt have a drop of OJ.  I am now on PD and was told to drink 3-4 glasses a day.  That is the best advice I have ever been given and one I obey!  Yumm!

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:15:43 AM »

I know it might sound strange on this thread but I must be one of the few dialysis users who has a potassium levels that are too low so potassium rich foods have become my friend. So I'm an orange juice addict with freshly squeezed juice every morning and I absolutely drooled over the navel orange tree in your backyard.
Here in Oz they are a premium orange with a short season, so if you want navel all year round you have to buy Californian imports.
Lucky you!
The next best friend is the banana which are sky high in price here at the moment because of a humongus cyclone in Queensland...they used to be $2.99 kg, now they are $12.99. (1 kg is a bit over 2 lbs.)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:44:33 AM »

yup and I do cheat taking extra binders if it has too much phos. On PD, im told to eat more potassium.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »

peleroja, it is amazing how you could withstand
not tasting it for so many years !

I know that sometimes a fruit can taste out of this world.

Kind regards from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
kamar55

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 09:15:04 AM »

My citrus "cheat" is the jewel of them all---the clementine. I think of it as a seedless tangerine. They're available only during the winter and I look forward to them every year. They're very small and have only a few ounces of juice, but so refreshing. I remind the dietician that my potassium levels (which run normal) may go up a bit during this time. Anyone know offhand if orange/clementine/tangerines have similar potassium levels?

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »

Clementines, raw 74g --  Potassium, K--131 mg

Tangerines, (mandarin oranges), small, raw 76g  --  Potassium, K--126 mg

Oranges, raw, navels 140g  --  Potassium, K--231 mg

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

By weight, they look about the same in potassium content.
And that amount is not too much when consumed in moderation.

By the way, instead of calling it cheating (which is a negative), I just look at it as part of managing the diet.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:20 PM »

Bruno - Bananas here in New York are $.49 (49 cents) a pound year around.  Bananas are the cheapest fruit available around here, even cheaper than the locally grown fruits and vegatables.  Go figure. 

There is nothing sweeter than a fresh squeezed glass of orange juice :2thumbsup;   None of the pasturized or concentrated crap from the grocery store comes even close...

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »