I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 07:36:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello From a Dialysis Employee
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello From a Dialysis Employee  (Read 2802 times)
jules1962

« on: April 27, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »

Okay, don't get out the bats and run me off just yet.  :Kit n Stik;  I have been lurking for a while.

I have been working in an independent Dialysis center for a year. I am not a nurse, or medical assistant or social worker or a dietitian.

My "title" is Financial Coordinator, and what I do is assist the SW and RD with prescription assistance programs, prescription grant programs and grants through the AKF. I am the AKF HIPP liaison for our clinic as well.

I had never worked in a medical related field prior to this so everything has been quite the learning experience.

I work with almost 100 patients in two locations plus our PD patients.

I enjoy reading the view from your side, I have encouraged my patients to check out IHD too. I have also told both of our physicians about the site.

I love being able to enlighten our patients about programs available to assist them when some of them had no clue any such assistance existed.

Anyway, I am here, and I like you guys!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 01:53:55 PM »

:welcomesign;

It is great that you are here and even better that you are telling others about this site!  :2thumbsup;

Stick around!  :waving;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »

I'm glad you're here, I'm glad you like us!    :welcomesign;
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

Hi Jules, and welcome to IHD.  I'm glad you pass our sight around.  The more people that read this site, the more educated they become.
It is also a great site to realize you are not alone. 

So, tell me, do your doctors make rounds at the center with the patients right next to each other? 

Glad you are here.

Rerun, Moderator    :welcomesign;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »

Welcome to our community!
 :beer1;

This year I'm receiving Renvela from Renassist and have just been approved by HealthWell for Sensipar reimbursement.
Last year it was AKF Part D.

Thanks to these programs, I can take my most important medications.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
greg10

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 03:53:34 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Jules.

I am glad to hear about your good work.  However, the drugs are still too expensive and not much has changed from 2006 where this thread talked about the high cost of Sensipar (Cinacalcet) for example, a copay of $600 a month:
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1246.0

There was a response from one of the posters in that thread that the high cost of drugs is justified by the research they have done.  But I beg to differ in that in many cases, and cinacalcet in particular, the original research was sponsored by the National Science Foundation, then patented by the individual scientists who then formed a company which in turn was bought out by a larger company (Amgen) and finally marketed at a very high price for what could be manufactured at few pennies per dose.  These are the typical stories in the pharmaceutical industry.  Do you have a point of view on this and how do we solve the problem of high cost of drugs?

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »

G'day, Jules, and  :welcomesign;  :ausflag;

Galvo
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »

Welcome to the group.  I think it's great that you are spreading the word about IHD.  The more, the merrier. 
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 01:52:50 PM »

Welcome to the site and thanks for telling others about us.  This group has helped me through good and bad times and understands more than any doctor of relative what I feel.   We learn so much from each other.  Looking forward to reading more of your posts.  Welcome to IHD.   :2thumbsup; 

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »