I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:22:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialyzor
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialyzor  (Read 13666 times)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« on: January 09, 2007, 08:27:46 AM »

PS: Could you start a thread about why you call yourself a dialyzor?  I mean you're not a large piece of Polysulfone!     ;)

If the artificial kidney is the DialyzEr, then what does that make me? The dialyzee? To passive to my ear. I need a teem to refer to myself and other people who need dialysis and I do not think the term patient does our situation justice. I think patient describes a business relationship as does other suggested terms - customer, consumer, etc..  So I was thinking along the line of diabetic.

Dialyzor, as a new word, allows us to define what it means. I suggest: A Dialyzor is one who must accommodate a diminished renal function through dialysis and dialysis compatible living choices including diet, medications and exercise.

I think language is important. When I am in the doctor's office, the dialysis unit or hospital then I think the term "patient" is appropriate. However, the vast majority of the time I am not in a medical place of business. The term ‘patient’  only really fits people with acute diseases. Outpatient dialysis is for a chronic disease. The term ‘patient’ fails to acknowledge the 90% of the time that the dialyzor is solely responsible for his or her care. The term Dialyzor applies 24/7.  It applies when we are on dialysis but it also applies during the 70 to 90 % of the time when we are living our lives off the machine.

A dialyzor is proactive. A patient is reactive. A dialyzor does. A patient is done to. I'll know I've made progress when IHD spell check lets dialyzor through.

And besides have you ever actually looked inside yourself? Sure "they" tell use its all lion food but I hear there is some Polysulfone ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 08:30:02 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »

???
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 09:49:45 AM »

I've seen you mention this before and until someone can come up with something better, dialyzor does it for me. :2thumbsup;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:47:57 AM »

I dont know.

As it is now most people I inform that I am on dialysis, a blank look comes over their face, so it would be just another thing that would need explained.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »

Reminds me of the "Terminator" !  I like it.

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 06:43:16 PM »

Dialyzor?? No Thank You,  i am happy with just being the patient,  that sounds like something futuristic and phony  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 07:12:42 PM »

Dialyzor?? No Thank You,  i am happy with just being the patient,  that sounds like something futuristic and phony  :-\

Wait till you hear what he calls people who can urinate.....URINATORS  ;D no serious.  :o

Personally, I have no problem being called a patient, and I remember when Bill Peckham started the whole "Dialyzor" issue and honestly I can see his point. He makes valid points of why he prefers to be called a dialyzor over a patient. However the most important thing to me is that I am referred to and treated like a human being and not some "Sick Helpless" individual. I am a patient just like he is and by hating the word "patient" so much it makes it almost a "dirty" word in my book.

I have no problem being called a "patient", just call me it while looking at me in the FACE and acknowledging my existence, instead of just another "thing" that allows you to afford your New BMW or Mercedes car payment.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 07:34:24 PM »

I have no problem being called a "patient", just call me it while looking at me in the FACE and acknowledging my existence, instead of just another "thing" that allows you to afford your New BMW or Mercedes car payment.

- Epoman

AMEN  BROTHER
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:17 PM »

by hating the word "patient" so much it makes it almost a "dirty" word in my book.
Like hating dialysis? >:D

As long as you think about it, and are proactively OK with it then I say that differences are what make the world go around. You say patient I say dialyzor. My issue is that I was assigned the label of patient and then once you accept the label the next step is to get you to accept the role - passive and compliant.

Compliant is another word I would not normally use.  I would suggest to someone having trouble with dialysis that the trick is learning to accommodate dialysis. I accommodate dialysis by making good decisions about diet and exercise and I accommodate dialysis by staying committed to my treatment regime.

However, I think the root issue is something we can agree upon as a group.  There is far too much learned dependence going on among our fellow dialyzors. I know language doesn't in itself change the situation but I think Orwell's point is correct. Language to an extent does control thinking so we should choose our words and our thoughts with our goals in mind. 

Billp: I think this is the best post I've ever done. And you know what? I deserve it! [ turns to his mirror ] Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and, doggonit, people like me!   

(Does anyone remember Stuart Smiley? I hope? Anyone?)

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
mcjane

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 08:39:51 PM »

And I thought it was Stuart Smalley....SNL....DUH
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »

Well, Stu, . . .ummm, Bill, whatever helps get you thru the day!  ;)

I think I could go along with being called a dialyzor.  I've been getting treated as a patient a bit too much lately, so a change of terms wouldn't hurt right about now.  If only there was some guarantee that a change of attitude would go along with it.   At the rate I've been butting heads at the center lately, if they are calling me anything other than "patient" it isn't something they can say to my face!

The urinators just cracks me up - but I'm in both categories, so where does that leave me?   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:10:38 PM »

Bitch, that was what I was called on Monday of this week. I know I was when I told them what they were going to do with my treatment! I am going back to carrying my big stick!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »

The urinators just cracks me up - but I'm in both categories, so where does that leave me?   ;D

A Dianator. :rofl;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:44 PM »

Sounds like a giant dinosaur got loose!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »

:clap;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 09:26:10 PM »

A Dianator. :rofl;

As Hemingway would say, That is funny.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 10:05:01 PM »

...My issue is that I was assigned the label of patient and then once you accept the label the next step is to get you to accept the role - passive and compliant. ...

That's one reason I LOVE this site.  Most of the people here are NOT passive.  Many may be when they arrive here but most of them learn to be assertive, speak up, and take control of their care.  It's amazing, the transformation which takes place when a "patient" or caregiver becomes educated and informed.

I remember, many years ago, checking into the hospital for minor surgery which required me to be admitted in the afternoon before surgery the next day.  The nurses were not at all pleased that I chose to stay dressed, pull the bedside table over to the big chair, spread out paperwork, my briefcase, etc. and get some work done before dinner.  Between checking in and bedtime I had three people tell me I needed to get undressed and get in the bed.  They were not pleased when I told them "No, later, after dinner and a shower." and I did not until after some work, phone calls,  dinner, some TV, and a shower.  It's not that I was leaving the room or wandering all over the hospital.  I was there every time they came with meds or for vitals; I just wasn't behaving and looking like a "patient".  :lol;

IOW, you're right.  Most health care professionals expect you be passive and compliant, and to act like a "good patient".

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 11:00:57 PM »

Bill, You should get a T-Shirt made with the "Dialyzor" on it.  Go to www.mykidneygear.com for more details.

Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 11:41:12 PM »

They can call me anything, but late to get on the machine  ;D

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 06:20:41 AM »

Dialyzor? Bill what are you, some kind of rabble-rouser?  You're rocking the boat man ... I'm starting to fall off!

Regards,
The Renalist.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »

Dialyzor? Bill what are you, some kind of rabble-rouser?  You're rocking the boat man ... I'm starting to fall off!

Brody: You're gonna need a bigger boat.

The Renalist.

I like that, a renalist. We need more renalists.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 04:17:10 PM »

Regards,
The Renalist.

:2thumbsup; I swear, I love you man.  :beer1;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 08:10:03 PM »

I am Dialysis Woman, need I say more!

I like the name The Renalist.

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 03:49:39 AM »

I am Dialysis Woman, need I say more!

Ya I like that too! Sounds cool!  :2thumbsup;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
nextnoel

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 12:52:05 PM »

Me, too - it's so close to "Realist", which is what most of us are!

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »