I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 10:28:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Single Kidney in Ohio
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Single Kidney in Ohio  (Read 1894 times)
jess4224

« on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:11 AM »

So I have a solitary "functioning" kidney and didn't even find out til I was 28 years old and 8 months pregnant in 2001!  Fast forward 9 years and here I am a single mom on the brink of dialysis or a transplant.  My uncle is a match so eventually I should be able to get a transplant.  I've found this site to be a tremendous help.
AguynamedKim

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:28:17 PM »

:welcomesign; jesse4224!  Glad you've found the site helpful and I hope all goes well with your kidney health, dialysis, and/or transplant.  How great that you have an uncle who's a match.  Perhaps you can look into one of the transplants that allows for bone marrow transplant as well to help you get off or lower your anti-rejection medications in the long term. 

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »

Welcome to IHD :welcomesign;  I found out I had kidney problems when I was 30 and pregnant with baby #1 (Ultrasoiund tech asked me if I had renal problems.)  I didn't realize the seriousness of my smaller than normal kidneys and went ahead and had another baby two years later.  It was a slow decline over the past 10 years for me.

You will find that IHD members are very willing to share their experiences and insights.  I joined less than a year ago and have gone from pre-dialysis to preemptive transplant in that time period.  Being "armed" with information gleaned from fellow IHD members has made my journey much easier.

Since you are still pre-dialysis, I'd push for that preemptive transplant and skip dialysis if at all possible.  Once you are less than 20% function, you need to get on the UNOS list and get the ball rolling to get all the pre-transplant testing done.  It took 14 months for me from beginning of testing to the transplant because I had two potential donors and their hometown Drs. offices did not get the results of the tests to the transplant center in a timely manner.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 12:51:13 PM by Sax-O-Trix » Logged

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

:welcomesign;

I'm not glad that you need to be here, but glad that you found us. This is a good place for information and support!

:2thumbsup;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »

Welcome to the group, jess4224.  This is a great place for information and friends.  Glad you found us!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »

Hi jess  :waving;  Sorry to hear about your trouble, but we have had somewhat similar problems on this site. I hope you can get a transplant having a live donor from your uncle soon.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »

God damnit it I thought this was a singles ad and I had met the girl of my dreams!!!  :rofl; (well I've never been to Ohio, but willing to relocate for the right girl  >:D).

Seriously though, welcome to IHD Jess!! Hopefully your uncle can donate to you sooner rather than later so you can continue the busy life of a mother unhindered by dialysis!! It's great to have you here and even greater to hear you've found IHD such a good source of support and information!

:welcomesign;

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:13:55 PM »

Welcome!   I grew up in Ohio and still have most relatives there.   Can you start the transplant evaluation process now - or have you already?  You are so very fortunate to already know you have one match.  The sooner you can do the transplant, the better.   Keep posting, we want to learn more!  Welcome to IHD!    :2thumbsup;

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »

Hi Jess and welcome!   :welcomesign;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »