I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 09:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Photo Advice Needed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Photo Advice Needed  (Read 2352 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« on: April 14, 2011, 08:06:01 AM »

My surgeon has asked me for photos of the family to use in an upcoming presentation he's giving for transplant doctors about the trial. We really don't have any. We do have a camera with a timer and a tripod, so we could take a boring photo on the couch or something.

Tomorrow there is a monthly event at our local art museum where professional photogs will take some artistic snaps of you, and it's free. We were going to dress up nicely and queue up for it, as it's a popular part of the evening. We have blank placards that someone gave us on our first trip to Madison. I was thinking of having the kids hold signs that said "Thank You Northwestern" or even thanks to the doctor, but I am thinking that may embarrass him or make him look like some shameless self-promoter. Also, there are really two doctors that are conducting this trial, from separate hospitals, though I only really spent a lot of time with one. Should we just do straight shots? Gwyn was also thinking that rather than dressing up, we could put organ donation T-shirts on him and the kids, though I doubt they'd be able to read them, so I am leaning toward just dressing them nicely. They have so many flash clothes that they end up wearing only once or twice. I don't have an organ donation T-shirt and I want to wear my black opera coat or similar.

I am also going to send him a couple photos from this thread, of me on the machine: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=19662.0

Any thoughts on the signs or outfits?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »

Yes, definitely send some from the thread and then you HAVE TO post some of the new pics!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

I always like the family pictures where everyone is color coordinated.  They also say solid colors are best for portraits.  I would have one hold a card that just says thank you for my new life or something like that.  Good luck and please post a copy.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:13 AM »

I think dressing nicely would do the trick! From the viewpoint of the trial doctors, they probably want to see a family that is reaping the benefits of going through the trial(s).  :rofl;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 08:50:17 PM »

I do have one of me and you at Northwestern Cariad I can print and send to you either email or by print that was before the transplant if I remember right.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »

Thanks, everyone. We will just go with nice outfits - matching may be beyond us, but we'll see. The boys have cute bow ties that they love wearing. I am picking up my J Peterman top from the cleaners today - difficult to describe, sort of like a poncho but made of burnt velvet, gold and a sheer nylon. I know I'm making it sound like a gaudy mess, but I love it and it's more understated than it sounds. Looks like it would be see-through, but is not. I have other options if I'm just not feeling it this evening.

My hair is the issue now. I have one hell of a time straightening it. I straightened it last night, but it still sticks up and looks like a crazy punk wig - Joan Jett or similar. Still need to shower and my hair reverts to curls in the slightest humidity. I probably will be working on it for an hour or so. I hope I can get it under control. Gwyn loves the curls, or so he says, but I just don't recognise myself with them. I've always had curly hair, but not a perfect afro. Perhaps I'll send him amateur photos of me with the curls and he can pick.

I'll see if I ever get the nerve up to post the photo. It will depend upon how the evening goes.

Thanks so much for the offer, Chris, but as Gwyn took that photo, we have it on the computer (somewhere!). That was a great day, we should do it again if we ever find that elusive time period when we are both feeling well.

I'll update after tonight.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »

Ah, bollocks to it.

I have decided to go for the full drama. I don't feel like fighting my hair today, so that may just have to include piles of rich red curls. Sleeveless velvet dress with a greyish green cast, flowers subtly burnt into it for a bit of design. Black feather-trimmed cape. New black patent pumps. And full length satin gloves? Perhaps....

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »

Sorry I forgot Gwyn took that photo. I wasn't sure if that was from my camera if I brought one.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012