I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 05:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Bags or PureFlow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bags or PureFlow  (Read 4486 times)
vcarmody

« on: April 14, 2011, 03:09:18 AM »

Who better to ask then the experts?  Yesterday my husband was approached by a salesman from NxStage at his center when he went in for his monthly.  The salesman was trying to talk him into switching from bags to PureFlow.  He was telling him it saves so much space and is so much better and we can still travel (which we do almost monthly), but then he said it takes 7 hours to mix a batch and you have to do it every two days.  I'm thinking hey don't we spend enough time doing treatments. last thing we need is more things to so.  So I am asking you, the experts.  Which is the easiest?
And then he said I would have to train again on the PureFlow, To me testing water and all the stuff my husband was telling me last night seems way to involved.  Plus our water her is always brown because I am in a business district and someone always seems to open a fire hydrant.  How much harder is it to do treatments on PureFlow?   

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »

Hey V...I also was skeptical about using PureFlow when we started NxStage.  I trained on the bags and was used to them.  But after using the PureFlow now for almost a year, for us it is MUCH easier.  No heavy bags to lift and hang. Minimal trash compared to using the bags.  Much less in supplies needed.  Our clinic does the water testing though it is very easy also.  (just open and close a clamp for a quick sample).  The time needed to make the batch is a little lengthy but we have our routine...when hubby disconnects after the 2nd day of use (PureFlow saks are good for 2 treatments) we set up the new batch and just let it run. 

If we are traveling, we take the hang bags, when we are home, we use the PureFlow. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:28:36 PM »

I have also used bags and pureflow..... its true that pureflow is easier...  you can get two to three treatments out of the pureflow depending on your treatment plan.....   I like using the bags  and  use the bags all the time as I do travel and I never know when I am going to travel... ( I have a beach house and go there on the spur of the moment sometimes... most of the time...)   So  it became such a hassle to order pureflow and try to figure out how many bags I will need each month...  alot of the time I didnt have enough bags to travel torwards the end of the month....So I went to using all bags.....  so I can travel as much or as little as I want.... it not that big of a deal to hang bags.... I use 30 L  and that is 6 bags a day......  good exercise.....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
M3Riddler

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »

Bags all the way!!!!!

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »

I think there was a study regarding bags and dialysis allergies/inflammation.  My husband was very allergic to in center dialysis and has not had any issues with a pure flow.

We have a pure flow and find it very easy.  It will add more planning and time to your routine.  It takes three hours to drain and six to make a batch.  That wouldn't be such a big deal, but it will beep when the drain is complete, often in the middle of the night for us.

Our connection was simple.  The guy from dialysis hooked it into our closet that "borders" the bathroom.  If you go to the facebook page, I believe I posted the connection. 

After PD, I am enjoying the lack of packaging and trash.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
greg10

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »

We have a pure flow and find it very easy.  It will add more planning and time to your routine.  It takes three hours to drain and six to make a batch.  That wouldn't be such a big deal, but it will beep when the drain is complete, often in the middle of the night for us.
It is true that it takes a while to drain - but that is only if you ended not using the dialysate - normally the dialysate is used up with the treatment and not much would be left over for draining - you are allowed to end the drain cycle early and change the SAK.  Any small amount (1-5L) of dialysate left over can be manually drained by cutting open the SAK and pouring the dialysate down the drain or onto your garden.

The upshot with the Pureflow machine is that you don't have to lug and store a lot of bags.  The downside is that some planning is involved and if your treatment schedule is unpredictable, such as the situation Tyefly mentioned above, then making batches of dialysate doesn't make sense and you should go with pre-made dialysate.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
lawphi

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 05:33:09 PM »

Greg, you just made my night!  I always wondered why we could not just dump it.  There is a very small amount left over when it comes time to drain.

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

boy, this is kind of a toughy...  we have been using JUST pureflow now for a couple months and we're liking it very much.  Then, when we were using just bags for a week or so, i was completly sold on them..  No PAK change, SAK make, drain etc... But, when thats what your doing, its really simple and right now, hubby is wanting us to do bags for a few so we dont forget how to use them and i didnt want to switch back to the bags..lol   I though almost everyone using nxStage was mostly happy with pureflow but oddly im seeing different sides here.  On draining the PF though, you can stop it when you think yu can lift it and be done with it.  Just follow the 'protocol' for how to stop correctly (just push and hold stop and follow the rest of the dirextions on the screen) and it simplifies THAT part of it. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
vcarmody

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I would like to stay with bags but I guess my husband will have the final decision.   :thx;

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »