I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 08:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello from Chicago
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello from Chicago  (Read 1816 times)
Mymomisawarrior

« on: April 02, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »

Hello!
Just joined the site after googling dialysis forums. My mother has been on and off dialysis for about 20 years. I've been around dialysis my entire life.
Thanks!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

Stick around and get to know us!  :2thumbsup;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:23:42 PM »

:welcomesign;   Glad you found this place, this is a great place.   Lots of friendly epople here who will very happy to listen to anything you have to say, or answer a question, or just be here so you can vent.  Please come back and get to know us we'd like to know you.

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 07:30:42 PM »

Hello from the Land Of Lincoln too.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 07:36:17 PM »

:welcomesign;
I too am from illinois

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:17:35 PM »

I live in Chicagoland, too...western suburbs.  It's cold here!

Welcome to IHD!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Mymomisawarrior

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:20:12 AM »

Thank you all very much. I am actually here because I am going through a tough time. Like I mentioned earlier my mom has been on and off dialysis for the past 20 years. Almost immediately after I was born my mother began having kidney failure. A few years later her kidneys stopped functioning and she was forced to start dialysis. Initially the doctors attempted to give her HD but her body simply did not take it well and her doctors decided to give her PD. She was on PD until she received her first transplant. A few years after her first transplant her body rejected her kidneys again, and she began to start her 2nd round of PD. She was on PD for a few more years and finally she received her second transplant but again after a few years her kidneys were rejected. She began her 3rd round of PD shorty after. In the almost 20 years she has been on PD she never had serious complications directly related to the dialysis. However, earlier this month my mom began seeing a lot of Fibrin in her collection bag and she began receiving antibiotics to cure any possible infections (peritonitis). At the same time my mother began to have less and less bowel movements. After her condition worsening, no bowel movements, weakness, and fever, she was admitted into the hospital where her longtime nephrologist discover she was had encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis (eps). Her nephrologist never directly told us of her exact condition but another doctor caring for my mom informed my sister of her condition. To be quite honest I searched eps and I am terrified. She is receiving an oral steroid to try to control the inflamation in her abdomen. She has so much fibrin in her abdomen that it was nearly impossible to continue PD and thus a HD catheter was placed (the fibrin was also the cause of her constipation). Two days ago she received her first HD treatment. She had not eaten much during the week and was put on clear liquid diets multiple times during the week. She was very weak to begin with. About one hour into the treatment her condition worsened and she passed out and she looked unconscious and like she might be gone. Fortunately the nurses configured the machine to stop the treatment and gave her some oxygen and she came back. We thought we had lost her and she even commented that she thought she was leaving us. Her treatment was stopped and she did not continue with it. Yesterday her nephrologist decided that it would be best to remove the PD catheter and she got a small surgery with local anesthesia to remove it. She is now in a semi stable state with no option of PD anymore and also EPS. I am concerned as to how she will react to the HD in the future and if these kinds of complications are common and if they are just a part of the HD treatment since she just got on it. My mother is 61. She suffered a stroke about 13 years ago that left her disabled and limited her mobility dramatically. Her physical strenght is not in ideal shape. What about her EPS. Are there any specific treatments that should be done. I am in College and I am not there at my moms bedside 24/7 and I have terrible fears of what can happen. EPS is a serious condition that should not be taken lightly. The fact the HD was so terrible on her also scares me. I hope someone can talk to me and make me feel better so I can make my mother feel safer and also the rest of my family. Thank you for Reading :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 12:24:35 AM by Mymomisawarrior » Logged
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 06:48:31 AM »

Welcome to the group.  I think it's cool when a family member joins.  Lots of good information and friends here.  Glad you joined!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »

Hello MMIAW, and welcome to IHD.  You are a sweet daughter.  I'm so thankful she had dialysis all these years (and transplants) to watch you grow up.  What a blessing.  She will adjust to HD.  She'll just have to.  It will take time.  After years and years of dialysis we all start to run out of options.  I'm sure your Mom has had years to think of all of this.  So don't be worried about her.  She will be worrying about you.  Stay strong.

Welcome to IHD.  I hope someone here can answer your questions.

Come back soon....

Rerun, Moderator       :waving;

AguynamedKim

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 06:02:28 PM »

:welcomesign; Mymomisawarrior.  I'm sorry your mother is going through such a rough spot right now.  I hope she responds to some low and slow Hemodialysis, possibly longer to help her.  You're so good for taking such good care of her.  I'm thinking of you and wishing you well.

Mymothersdaughter

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »

Hi mymomisawarrior,
I too have a mom who has been on dialysis for most of my life. So I know how hard this can be. My mom is now 65, 30 years and 3 failed transplants later. After 5 decent years of PD at home, she had to go back on Hemo after an infection that kept her in hospital for 5 weeks. I will be hoping and praying that your mom will adjust to the hemo. Miracles can happen - my mom is one :cuddle;  She has been able to adjust to hemo, sometimes has to eat salty food while on dialysis to keep her blood pressure up (oh the irony).
buffalogal855

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:53 AM »

Hope things go well for you.  Being a mom myself I'm sure your mother wants you to take good care of yourself!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »