I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Getting CMV from my donor's Kidney... What to expect??
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Getting CMV from my donor's Kidney... What to expect??  (Read 6634 times)
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:30 PM »

My donor was CMV positive and im negative.. The docs found it in my lab-work and have me on valcyte, but also they took me off my Myfortic. Should they do that? I know Myfortic is one of my main transplant meds.. Im nervous i could have a rejection that way... I know why they're doing it though.. I know they want to be able to raise the immune system a bit so i can fight the effects from the CMV but Im really nervous...What are the symptoms? I already have a few I have very low energy right now.. If you've had this experience please tell me what you went through and if your doc eased up on your transplant meds too... Thanks..
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 03:35:21 PM »

Sorry to hear this, Neo. I've not had the experience myself, but I have heard that with this virus and the BK virus that really the only thing to be done is to lower the immunosuppresant doses.

Knowing that your donor was CMV+, I am not sure why they did not have you on Valcyte from the start. But anyway, there are people who do just fine on only one immunosuppresant - I am assuming you are also on Prograf or similar. Tacro seems to be the more important drug of the two classes of immunosuppressant that most recipients are on.

Good luck.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 05:44:58 PM »

Each person is diferent with their experience, but my first bout was painful because it effected my liver. Liver levels were high, liver was enlarged. However I did not develop CMV until the clinic stopped my Cytovene after 3 months. After getting treated and put back on Cytovene after my hospital stay and IV treatments at home. I developed CMV again after stopping the Cytovene again after 3 months. This time the effects were different. I was extrememly tired all the time, nauseated, more cold than usual. What I learned is each clinic has their own different protocol on monitoring for CMV. My clinic didn't monitor for it, but my first center I choose to have a transplant did check every month for CMV for 6 months and in center while my clinic had to send theirs out.

I was CMV- while my donor was CMV+

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 08:34:30 PM »

Jenna and her donor were both CMV negative but she still got 6 months of Valcyte. And after her rejection they had her on it for another year.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:26:04 PM »

The day before transplant I was told that I was + and my donor was -.  Then the day after transplant I was told that my donor was + and I
was -.  Grrrrr!   :banghead;   I was on Valcyte for about six week, but I also did 9 weeks of IVIG.    Good Luck, Neo!  I hope it doesn't cause you too much pain or trouble   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

Hi I got CMV infection with my first transplant.(Donor +, Me - ) First signs were a bit like flu, fever, shakes and was sick once over weekend. On Monday had bloodtest and was recalled straightaway back to hospital. Had to have central line put in for 3 months of iv drugs, which they taught me to do myself so I could get out of hospital! They dropped my other drugs down and I went into rejection, firstly acute attack, then continuing chronic rejection from which the kidney never recovered. This time with transplant no 2, Donor +, ME now +) had treatment right from start, to go on for 6 months
I believe the Myfortic drops your white cell count too low if a risk, although i am currently on low dose of it.
Depends a lot on how your immune system responds. Some people do fight it off.
Hope that helps.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
coravh

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 01:28:47 PM »

My first symptom of the CMV was a massive drop in my white count. It was almost nonexistant. I did get nauseated but that did go away. They also lowered my immunosuppression significantly. I didn't have any rejections even though I went through this for 6 months.

Cora
Neo

Dont let dialysis stop you...

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:25 AM »

Thanks guys... so far ive been too tired to do much and ive had cold symptoms and now a massive headache..  God i hope this doesnt get worse...
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 01:15:37 AM »

Neo I also got bad joint pains particularly in my shoulders don't know if it was the CMV or medication for it but they hurt.

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:21:04 PM »

Gregory is newly diagnosed with CMV, which has manifested recently for the second time in 19 years, manifesting as the Diarrhea form.  When I say "newly diagnosed", he commented this morning that he thinks he had a bout of it just after his transplant when he was really sick for awhile.

I've been googling (as you do) and scaring myself, finally thought to check what people have already said here and found this thread and several others.  Paris gave me the idea, by mentioning that others have had it.

Looks like it can flare up in nasty ways for some people, but it generally behaves itself while your system is strong.  So the following list of symptoms which I have found, are about the flare ups, while the general day to day stuff sounds like its .. well, day to day.

from http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000663.htm:

Symptoms

The symptoms of CMV infection are similar to those of mononucleosis. In fact, in a small percentage of people with mononucleosis, CMV is the cause. The symptoms of primary CMV infection are:

* Fatigue
    * General discomfort, uneasiness, or ill feeling (malaise)
    * Joint stiffness
    * Loss of appetite
    * Muscle aches or joint pain
    * Night sweats
    * Prolonged fever
    * Sore throat
    * Swelling of the lymph nodes
    * Weakness
    * Weight loss

In immunocompromised people, CMV can attack specific organs. The major symptoms of these organ-specific infections are:

Eye:

* Blindness
    * Floaters in the eye
    * Visual impairment

Lung:

* Pneumonia with impaired oxygen uptake (hypoxia)

Gastrointestinal:

* Diarrhea
    * Swallowing difficulties or pain
    * Ulcerations with bleeding

Brain:

* Coma
    * Encephalitis with behavioral changes
    * Seizures

confusing ay?  Life threatening... and ordinary.  On anther small dialysis group I am with, a fellow described a really bad bout of it involving holes in the intestines.  So its not to be f*d with.  But as he said, that was 10 years ago, its been dormant ever since.

So my take home conclusion is:  keep a good healthy weight, eat properly, rest.... and it will probably be alright. 

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:22:14 PM »

Other IHD threads I found about it, which helped me in various ways:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=22417.msg369064#msg369064

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18471.msg318079#msg318079

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18859.msg327834#msg327834

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=6086.msg90059#msg90059

see also, these:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000663.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000667.htm

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 06:55:17 PM by natnnnat » Logged

Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 07:53:15 PM »

Nat---thanks for posting all those together.  The next person who has questions about CMV will look to you for the answers.  Saying some prayers for Gregory.   :pray;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Jie

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

The worst case scenario for CMV occurrence is donor + and patient -. For such a case, Valcyte should be taken right after transplant. When a patient has one of these three Vs: CMV, BKV, and EBV, the rejection risk increases due to reduction of the immu. medicines. We just don't have much choice and have to walk a fine line between preventing rejection and fighting the V.  Before I have BKV, my target range of prograf is 8-10 with a normal dosage of myfortic. Now with it, the target range for prograf is 4-6 without any myfortic. Just have to watch the rejection symptoms carefully and do labs more often.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »

Saying some prayers for Gregory.   :pray;
Your prayers are working Paris:  things are looking up.
We were back in clinic today to see if Gregory's system is traveling okay, we're on very frequent clinic visits at present while they oversee his progress.  He was at "1000", which is some measure of CMV in the system.  I google and find that "A value of 1000 implies that, while present, the level of CMV DNA is below the linear threshold of 1000 CMV DNA copies/mL plasma but above background levels. The clinical significance of CMV levels in this range is uncertain."   http://www.uams.edu/clinlab/Procedures/UAMS%20CMV.pdf  I don't actually know if this is what the registrar meant, but they *were* saying it was "threshold".
The question was whether or not to medicate for the CMV.  I raised the issue that Gregory was still on 12.5mg prednisalone, if they lowered that to 10mg (which was his normal dose for about 18 years or so) then maybe that would calm the CMV.  Before we went in, an alarm had sounded in the ward, signifying an "arrest".  Doctors and nurses had scurried off.  So we were being seen by a nurse, a very fine lady who we love and who has been part of Gregory's team for 21 years.  She went off to see the neph next door and came back saying:  Yes, lower prednisalone to 10mg, and change him off daily Bactrim and onto weekly trimethoprim and Dapsone. 

Gregory's creatnine, usually in the range of 280, has moved as follows:
2 weeks ago:  265
last week:  217
Today:  263

Apparently the Bactrim raises creatinine, so being taken off it might lower his creatinine. 
We were delighted with 217.  Its been a long time since we heard a figure like that.  It can be done!  Maybe we can get it under 200?  [ I think 200micro mol = 2.3 mg/dL - implies a formula 1 micro mol = 0.0115 mg/dL, or alternatively, 89.95652 micro mol = 1 mg/dL ]

After the smart-arsery regarding prednisalone and CMV, I decided not to ask big questions; anyway, I already think we've worked out what CMV is and what we should do about it.  I limited my fact finding to: "so we just keep Gregory healthy, and the CMV shouldn't be a problem, is that right? So for example, get a bit more flesh on his bones?"  The registrar (the fattest man I've met for awhile) nodded, yes.  And we were out into the relative sunshine of the hospital pharmacy.

We go back Thursday for another blood test.

5 weeks Haemo 2012

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »