I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Divita centers better or worse than non-profit center?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divita centers better or worse than non-profit center?  (Read 11181 times)
onestronglittlelady

« on: March 13, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »

The center my husband and I go to will be changing from a Nonprofit center to Divita, as they bought it out. Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad?

Also an update, someone stepped forward to be a kidney Donner for my husband. They have passed the first 2 rounds of testing, and will be going to the transplant center in April for the next round. We are praying this works out, and a kidney is found for me as well and soon.

I have been so busy with school, and job hunting I haven't been on here much. It is great to know when I need all you wonderful people you are there. Many blessings to all the strong people who gather here!
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »

We'll all keep our fingers crossed for both of you.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
greg10

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 10:40:16 AM »

Welcome to the forum.  :waving;

You did not mention where your center is located.  You can get more information here:
http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
onestronglittlelady

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 07:10:36 AM »

I didn't mention where the center is as the news of the buyout has not been made public. Only the affected staff currently are aware of the change over, and a few inquiring minds like me. They have not officially told us patients yet. I just want to know if I should look at changing centers once Divita comes to town.
greg10

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »

I didn't mention where the center is as the news of the buyout has not been made public. Only the affected staff currently are aware of the change over, and a few inquiring minds like me. They have not officially told us patients yet. I just want to know if I should look at changing centers once Divita comes to town.
Well, I doubt it is a secret.  I am guessing it is part of the recent buy out of DSI:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/02/04/dialysis-center-operator-davita-buy-dsi-renal-million/

In general, Davita will bring better corporate structure to a dialysis chain in terms of more efficient staffing and equipment management.  That may mean better buildings and equipment and smoother running of a dialysis center, but not necessarily better long term care of the patient.

Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »

Not to slam anyone, but the Davita I went to was TERRIBLE, really terrible,I nearly chose death over dialysis when going there. The soc. Worker that I had there, is now at the clinic I go to (not a davita!) And she said they are all about saving moneys and not about the patients at all.
The differences better where I go now, and the davita I went to:
Davita had 1 nurse and maybe 2 techs during a shift at a time (for about 20 people) and the place I go to now, there is 1 nurse and at least 1 tech, per 4 patients!!
I have not been infultrated at the new clinic, maybe 2 times in the 2 years ive been going here, where at the davita, i was infultrated multiple times a week.
They were running late all the time too, like HOURS, one time i waited 4 hrs in the waiting room before my treatment.
NOW that being said, I am sure not all Davitas are that bad. And there were a few people working there that were awesome people, but my experience tells me Never again with davita!
Good luck!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
BillSharp

rock 'n roll will never die

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:26:47 PM »

I go to a Davita center in Long Beach, CA (called Davita United), and I think it is very good. Lots of techs and nurses, fairly prompt, well kept-up. I hope yours will be the same.

Started passing stones at age 14 (Cystinuria)
Transplant in 1989 at age 50
Transplant failed in 2009 at age 70
Hemo and transplant list
Cadaver Transplant 7/1/2011 at age 72 (zero mismatch)
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »

You did not mention where your center is located.  You can get more information here:
I plugged in my zip and it did have my center.  On the bottom was:
Date of Last Inspection July 15, 2005    July 29, 2005    March 8, 2002    Nov. 19, 2004   
I have to wonder how good the information was. (Way better than no info)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »

I plugged in my zip and it did have my center.  On the bottom was:
Date of Last Inspection July 15, 2005    July 29, 2005    March 8, 2002    Nov. 19, 2004   
I have to wonder how good the information was. (Way better than no info)

One thing about Pro Publica data base is that while the 2010 Dialysis Facility Reports are available, the database is from the 2009 DFRs. The 2009 DFRs are reporting 2008 data. So it is saying that in 2008 the last time the facility was surveyed was 2005. Check the 2010 DFR to see if there was a survey in 2009. Personally I think units should have to post their surveys or at least make them available if you ask.

The center my husband and I go to will be changing from a Nonprofit center to Divita, as they bought it out. Can anyone tell me if this is good or bad?

I think if I was at a unit that was switching ownership I would paying attention to what the staff were doing. The operation of a unit and the experience of dialysis at that unit, depends on the people working there much more than the ownership, at least over the short to midterm. If in a year there is low turnover (10ish% for people who have been there for >6 months) then no reason to change; if the turnover spikes I'd evaluate my options.

I am guessing it is part of the recent buy out of DSI:
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2011/02/04/dialysis-center-operator-davita-buy-dsi-renal-million/

DSI was (is) for profit.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:48:48 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Hazmat35

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:36:13 AM »

I have been going to a DaVita Center in FL, for about a year.  I have to tell you, I wouldn't go anywhere else. 

The staff is fantastic!  They are all dedicated and friendly.  They are all committed to making sure that the pt.'s get the correct and proper treatment. 

We have doctors and P.A.'s walk thru the center almost every day.  My Nephrologist's P.A. is there every Monday @ 2:00 sharp to visit his patients!  He doesn't miss a beat. 

But, our center is extremely clean and pleasant!  I'm very sorry that some people don't have the same experience that I am blessed to have.  Don't get me wrong, there are some people there, who have a horrible experience, because they get sick or just can't stand being on Dialysis.  We have several cancer patients, who get sick all the time.  But, they take care of them the best they can. 

I STILL HATE DIALYSIS, though! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
greg10

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 05:17:13 AM »

I am guessing it is part of the recent buy out of DSI:

DSI was (is) for profit.
  That's right.  The original poster did say nonprofit and in another thread that the location is in Wisconsin and probably with a high transplantation rate.  Perhaps it is something like WI DIALYSIS INC with 152% transplantation rate, something you probably won't see in a Davita:

http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/facilities/522555

noahvale
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:09:34 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:37:25 AM by noahvale » Logged
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »

From my observations and research, the states with the stronger ESRD patient protection regulations and  facility surveyors who actually do their jobs, DaVita seems to tow the line.  However, DaVita takes full advantage in states with lax laws, weak surveyors and ESRD Networks with a high number of DaVita medical directors sitting on their BODs.  I would not go to a DaVita Clinic where I live.

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
jalexander451

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:02 AM »

I read study online suggesting that the large for-profit centers like DaVita have a worse mortality rate than smaller, individually-owned not-for-profit centers.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01219.x/abstract
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:37:08 AM by jalexander451 » Logged
NDXUFan

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:42 AM »

From my observations and research, the states with the stronger ESRD patient protection regulations and  facility surveyors who actually do their jobs, DaVita seems to tow the line.  However, DaVita takes full advantage in states with lax laws, weak surveyors and ESRD Networks with a high number of DaVita medical directors sitting on their BODs.  I would not go to a DaVita Clinic where I live.

I was at Davita for five years, never again.
blaumann

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 02:09:06 PM »

I attend a Davida clinic in Pennsylvania. The staff ranges from great to lousy. The doctor works for a large medical center and is great. The big problem is Davita has a new supplier for needles. They are terrible. Dull and painful. They scar patients and cause bleeding. Davita swears they are just fine. If I did not have a couple of good reasons to stay, I would have left months ago.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »

I was a transient at a DaVita clinic last week, and they did a great job.   I didn't notice the needle supplier since I brought my own, but I did notice the clinic was using Asahi filters instead of the Fresenius ones.   They did match their 1.8m^2 filter to my usual 180NR.

DaVita springs for individually wrapped sterlie gauze; Fresenius uses bulk non-sterile gauze (consistent across observations at multiple clinics)

One "cost thing" I see in the Fresenius clinics is "no 200 or 250 filter without review by the P&T committee to assure the patient cant survive with a smaller one" (but getting a 180 instead of a 160 is no big deal)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »