I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 02:23:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  High weight gains (fluid)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High weight gains (fluid)  (Read 6897 times)
Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« on: December 13, 2005, 03:24:20 PM »

Dear fellow renal readers,

On Monday treatment was not only scary but very ruff. On Sunday I went a little over board on the fluid. When Monday treatment came by I was 7.7 kilo's over and my skin turned purple. (drinking rum and coke).
  I did my treatment the usuall four hours at the end of my treatment my blood pressure dropped 70/40 and was like this for the next two hours. I left the unit with two kilo's still on me.
   During my treatment I was gonzod three times I was gone the nurse's put the oxigen on me and also had the defibulator next to my chair. I thought I was going to die twice. I also went threw the full body cramps with I can still feel today. Ever since my last treatment I have been making sure to say that special prayer........Until next time.......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

What's life with out a little magic?
babi68

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:59:55 PM »

What do your nurses say about you putting on so much fluid? You have shocked me with that amount :o The most I have ever put on is about 4.5. I had a terrible time taking it off. Last week I was going for a new base weight and was going flat as 3.5 was too much for me too handle. I'm not surprised you have trouble. You need to be careful with your fluid. I read your web page and you know what happens when you have too much on. It is bad for your heart. I have an enlarged heart and leaky valves and was nearly taken off the transplant list as they didn't think I could handle the surgery, but thank goodness they kept me on. I will say a prayer for you tonight, and young Jamie watch your fluid. I know it is hard. I dream about drinking all the time, but my nurse was quite blunt with me the other day and told me what happens long term to your heart. Please look after yourself. Liz :)
Jamie

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 07:11:27 PM »

babi68,
  Thank you very much for the prayer I believe in prayer big time seems like thats what I have been doing this little bit.
  I'm trying to get the weight gains under control it is also beating my body all to death as well as I'm starting to feel so horable.
  I have been doing dialysis for about 14 years and have been dealing with renal failure all my life the nurse's as well as the doctor's know that I know what is going on here I have been there much longer than most of them I don't have a P.H.D. but when it comes to renal failure and transplant I do know quite a bit.
   I must start following my diet and as "LIFEONHOLD" put's it get out of the self pitty and poor me's and start kicking some ass. It is way to easy to give up give in and throw in the towel and thats not me.......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

babi68

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 03:09:41 AM »

I pray all the time. Glad to hear youre not going to give in. I have only been in renal failure for 2.5years, so I can only imagine what it is like for you guys who have been dealing with it all for longer.  Hope you feel better soon. Liz :D
LifeOnHold

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 06:07:28 AM »

[ I must start following my diet and as "LIFEONHOLD" put's it get out of the self pitty and poor me's and start kicking some ass. It is way to easy to give up give in and throw in the towel and thats not me.......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

Holy smokes... I'm a good influence on someone?!    ;D

Fluid restriction is a royal pain, but unfortunately there's no way around it when you don't make urine anymore.  They tell you 'avoid salty foods' but neglect to tell you that sweet foods can also make you thirsty-- and nephrologists are notorious for prescribing pills that must be taken 'with a full glass of water'!  I was on three of those damned things at the same time, and I brought in the pharmacy slips and said to my doctor, "Why are you bitching about my fluid gains?  Look at what you've got me taking!"  She said, "Oh, you don't really need a full glass of water with each pill!"  So I said, "OK, why didn't you tell me that when you wrote the scrip?  And if I thought I needed to drink a full glass of water, I'll bet all your other patients did, too!"   Getting yelled at for being thirsty is, I think, the worst thing about being on dialysis... it's not like you can just 'will' yourself not to be thirsty, especially when the 'healthy' people around you are sucking down huge beverages everywhere you look.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Jamie

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 07:09:01 PM »

Drinking and high weight gains is a big problem for me right now. Score is me 0 and fluid gain 10. Hands down........Jamie-G

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:01:53 PM »

I am sooo thirsty!  I try and convince myself that I have plenty of water in my system, and look at my ankles or what use to be ankles.  I don't think kidney patients can get dehydrated.......  This really sucks..  ewu bad term.   ??? :P  I look forward to taking pills because I get a sip of water.  I hate being cold, but I'm eating their stupid ice chips.

Jamie

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 01:00:26 AM »

I just love eating ice chips. Is kind of funny everyone around the world on dialysis no matter what the age I have noticed they love them ice chips myself included "WEIRD"......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

LifeOnHold

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 11:40:36 AM »

My present unit doesn't have an ice machine, we just get water, coffee or tea.  They claimed there was a 'risk of contamination' with ice machines-- I personally think it was 'a risk of having to spend some money.'

Anyway, at my former unit, they had an ice machine and we used to get little snow-cones in styrofoam cups.  Some patients brought Kool-Aid powder to add to the ice so they could have real snow-cones.

One night, I chomped into my ice and it tasted really bad-- other people were complaining about it also.  Come to find out-- a nurse had stuck her BARE HANDS into the ice bucket while she scooped out the ice, and what we were tasting was her HAND LOTION!  GROSS!  Another nurse went around grabbing all of our ice cups and throwing them away-- and no, we didn't get clean replacements, either!   At that time I didn't know you could report such things to the network-- I didn't have a computer at the time, and had no way of finding out the network address without asking someone who worked at that unit.

Interesting that a lot of units have ice-machines and patients get hooked on eating ice-- that's actually a form of pica.  Not to mention the fact that a lot of patients can't understand that ice chips count as fluid, evn though they are solid when you eat them.  We've had a few patients in my unit get into fluid overload because they eat so much ice at home.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Jamie

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 05:28:57 PM »

"OEWUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" hand cream thats just not right? I can't even think about that. How gross "EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" I don't even want to think about it.

P.S. "EUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"  :o

www.jamiegmagic.com

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 05:58:47 PM »

My unit's ice machine looks like it could use a good cleaning, but the way I look at it.... they want us alive for the Medicare Check.  The ice may not be that clean, but it won't kill us.   ;)

Jamie

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 11:38:34 AM »

In a way they do need us so they can collect there pay check so in some sence they work for us. In my unit here in Windsor you are just a number and if you die they would probably already have some one on your chair at your time. I guess this is just the way it is. How about those Detroit Red Wings.............Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

meadowlandsnj

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 04:37:18 PM »

I just love eating ice chips. Is kind of funny everyone around the world on dialysis no matter what the age I have noticed they love them ice chips myself included "WEIRD"......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com

We have the tiny little square type ice chips in my center downstairs where I dialyze--upstairs they have the round tubular chips.  I like the square chips better and I am also a big ice "drinker". There's a Dunkin' Donuts near my house that makes the flat ice chips with the hole in the middle, I like those also.  I crave ice.  During treatment I usually have a 8 ounce cup of them which supposedly equates to 4 ounces of water.  Sometimes I'll have another half cup full.  I usually gain about 3 kilos or less between treatments. 
I just can't believe I am comparing which kind of ice chips I like better..............I better find something to do!

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Jamie

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 05:59:42 PM »

I also love snow cones and slushie's from 7-11. And I can eat them year round.......Jamie-G

tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 06:18:13 PM »

it has come to the stage where i dont drink anything and have become obsessed with ice!

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
Jamie

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 01:26:45 PM »

My high fluid weight gains are still very bad between 7 to 8 kilo's of fluid per treatment my body is starting to feel the out come of it. One is full body cramps passing out 3 to 4 time during treatment with a blood pressure as low as 63/42.
   I believe it is only time untill I go to my happy place......Jamie-G

www.jamiegmagic.com  >:D

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »