I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 10:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Hello I am new here...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello I am new here...  (Read 2290 times)
loisy8989

« on: March 03, 2011, 05:09:16 AM »

Hello Everyone on here!!

I am from the UK and my 19 year old sister has been diagnosed with Kidney failure in Nov 2010. She is currently on peritoneal dialysis at home.

She doesn't really like it but know it is what is keeping her alive. She is waiting for a transplant.

I am creating a documentary about kidney disease and it's factors for my university project. I am hoping if any of you could help me by filling out a questionnaire?

I am not just here to ask for that but to gain information about the treatment and let me sister know more- as I don't think she has researched her illness at all. 

Please feel free to chat to me and I hope to make some cyber friends on here.

Thanks

Loisy8989 x

*Sister, 19 Diagnosed with CKD Nov 2010*
*Complete shock*
*Peritoneal Dialysis 2 weeks later*
*Waiting for transplant*
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:20 AM »

Welcome to the group.  What a nice thing to do for your sister.  I'll be happy to fill out your questionnaire.  Glad you found us!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:13:14 AM »

Loisy and sis.... welcome to IHD.  19 is way too young for this damn situation that she is in.  But, I hope she gets her transplant soon.  Not that it will cure her situation, but it will be more favorable to her.  I'm sure people on here would be willing to fill out your questionnaire.

Rerun, Moderator             :welcomesign;

chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »

:welcomesign; loisy! Good on you for getting info for your sister. I'll happily do a questionaire.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

Welcome Loisy. It's lousy your sister has to deal with this stuff at the tender age of 19 when she should be out partying, doing university/working, enjoying life etc.... but there you have it... sometimes life throws you lemons and you have to make lemonade.

It's wonderful you are trying to find out as much as possible for her, but I would REALLY encourage her to find out as much as she can herself. Understanding is a form of power, or at least a road to better control of one's situation - from everything to realising why it is so important to take specific meds and why they're perscribed, to the actual process of dialysis and, down the track, transplanation and all that entails.

I understand she probably really just doesn't want to know about it all but unfortunately it's a fact of life that this is too important to ignore.

i wish both of you luck with this journey.

:welcomesign;

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
DomJDavis1985

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:51 PM »

Hello and WELCOME! i am a newbie too...but everyone on this site is awesome!

I am sorry ur sis has to deal with this at 19..i am 25 and was just diagnosed with it and i remember feeling sorry for myself that i had to deal with this at such a young age...but everyday i meet people who are younger than me and i feel even worse for them..i mean at least i got to celebrate my teenage years and at least the first few years of my 20s without worrying about this...i feel so bad for those that don't get to at least enjoy those years....

and by the way, i would love to fill out your survey :bandance;
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »

:welcomesign; Loisy!

I'll happily fill out your questionnaire (I'm in the UK too, but it's my Blokey who's on haemoD).  Sorry your sister is having to go through this, but it's fabulous that she has a sister as supportive as you!

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
loisy8989

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »

:thx;

Thank you to everyone who has written back to me and thanks to the people willing to do my questionnaire. I will get back to you with it !   :)

It is nice to be able to come on here and understand what you as patients and the family actually feel- it makes me feel like I am not the only person feeling things due to this illness.

I have received some dvd's and leaflets from Kidney Research UK today that I asked for for my project and the one I have already watched is really good and so informative- really helped me understand more.. didn't think I could learn much more after reading so much already- it seems to be my new reading ventrue- which isn't bad I guess!!

Anyway here I am waffling on.. hope everyone is OK today..

Lois x

*Sister, 19 Diagnosed with CKD Nov 2010*
*Complete shock*
*Peritoneal Dialysis 2 weeks later*
*Waiting for transplant*
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:40:47 PM »

erm I didn't see any waffling....

but if you have any waffles... I'd love some thanks!!! :)  >:D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
sammiejo23

Quand la vie devient dure, deviens plus dure.

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:24 PM »

Hi loisy!  :welcomesign; I'm also 19 and recently new to kidney disease and dialysis! If you or your sister ever want to talk, please feel more than welcome to shoot me a message, an email, whatever. It's not an easy situation to be in...but it certainly helps to talk to others. I think you'll find this site incredibly helpful, I know I have. There are good people on here who know their stuff and can help you feel loads better. I'd also be happy to do your survey. :) Take care!

01/05/2011-Full Right Nephrectomy (Malignant Tumors)
01/24/2011-Permacath Placed; Dialysis Started
01/28/2011-Fistula Placed
Current: In-Center Hemodialysis/3x a week
PreciousJeni

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »

Im sorry shes so young. i feel bad that im complaining about having to start. i havent started yet cuz im scared. i keep putting it off. so if you want to talk im here.

Jennifer L Galloway on facebook
PreciousJeni on twitter
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »