I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:24:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  My friend is being tested tomorrow
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My friend is being tested tomorrow  (Read 3398 times)
Bette

« on: January 02, 2007, 06:56:19 AM »

One of my best friends volunteered to be tested for a donor for me and her appointment is tomorrow.  I'm really nervous.  I don't want to get my hopes up.  Both my brothers went to be tested and neither was a match.  I took that very hard. 

I hope it works out.
mallory

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 09:53:38 AM »

Bette, I'll be praying for you.  I've had several people say they will get tested for me, but I'm not at a point to try for a transplant yet.  I can't even imagine how hard it would be if they get tested and don't match.  I really hope everything works out for you!   :grouphug;

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »

I hope things work out for you.
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 11:51:50 AM »

Our prayers and caring thoughts are with you at this time.  However, you still have to be thankful that you have people who are even willing to be tested.  I hope everything goes well.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »

Bette, i'll have my fingers crossed, but remember, everything happens for a reason, so if it isnt a match, dont take it so hard, maybe for some unseen reason it just wasnt the right time.  We all are with you  :grouphug;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bette

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »

Well, my friend called and she was not able to make the appointment because she had the flu. :(  She is going to try to get tested once she goes back home to London.  I am really disappointed. 

I get the feeling that she may not be too into donating.  I don't want to push because donating a kidney is a really big sacrifice.  I don't know what the next step is.
Jill D.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:47:23 PM »

When my first transplant surgery was cancelled because I had antibodies against my donor (my sister), my doctor first suggested I try to find a new donor. When the word got out, I had several people ask about the requirements for donating and indicated an interest in looking into it. What I would do is e-mail them the criteria and my transplant coordinator's phone number for further info. I would also stress that it was a big decision and something they should discuss with their immediate family. I would also ask that they NOT let me know if they decided to get tested, as I didn't want to a) have them feel any pressure from me or anyone else (especially non-related potential donors) and b) be disappointed if it didn't work out.

I did have a couple of friends tell me afterwards that they had been tested (and were not a match), which was fine to know at that point, since it was after the fact. I was so moved and honored that they would even consider doing such a thing as donate a kidney to me, and I would tell them! They would usually say that they were surprisingly disappointed that it didn't work out, which said to me that they were really serious about going through with it.  :cuddle;

As it turns out, my sister was able to donate a kidney to me through a positive crossmatch program at Mayo Clinic on December 5, 2006! I have since heard from other friends (and even acquaintences!) that they were tested as well. I can't tell you what that means to me...it brings tears to my eyes that they care so much!  :thx;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »

:grouphug; good luck!.....really!!!!!!!!
nextnoel

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:31 AM »

Well, my friend called and she was not able to make the appointment because she had the flu. :( She is going to try to get tested once she goes back home to London. I am really disappointed.

I get the feeling that she may not be too into donating. I don't want to push because donating a kidney is a really big sacrifice. I don't know what the next step is.

Sorry about your disappointment;     :(   I hope better results will come for you soon.  Meantime, just keep putting one foot in front of the other, take nice deep breaths, and stay in touch!

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »