I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 19, 2024, 01:33:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  hey caregivers!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: hey caregivers!  (Read 8502 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

Just wanted to let all givers know today in case you were feeling down in the dumps or a little unappreciated, that you are important far beyond you know!  At the least, take time to sit for a hot tea, a sandwhich lunch, or just for a break and a deep breath. When things seem too crazy..laugh! Crack yourself up! It's Ok because no one is looking. Well, even if they are who cares right? **HUGS** to you all from me. We need to stick together! (I'm not sure if that's how they call it- 'sandwhich lunch", but I was trying to sound British! lol)

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:53:32 AM »

I second texas! :2thumbsup;

I have people who live with me and love me, but no caregivers - no one who goes with me to appointments or knows anything about what meds I take or dietary restrictions or how to set up my machine....  blah blah blah - not meaning to make this my pity party, just want to applaude you caregivers out there!  You matter!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »

Sandwich lunch?!!

Golly gosh Miss Style, that tickled my funny bone!  Bless you!  (It's just 'lunch' my love!)

And now I'm curious ... when you said 'hot tea' did you mean a cup of tea (and is it true that American folk leave the teabag in the cup and forget to add milk?) or did you mean a hot meal at tea-time?

;D

*huggles* right back at ya!  :-*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »

Poppy, you said "Golly" and that just reminded me of a time about 5 years ago that I was at a local restruant and there wasl all this "hub-bub" going on. I wasn't sure what it was at first until I looked over and saw "Good Golly Miss Molly" himself sitting next to me! He was eating chicken and dumplings lol. Just about everyone in the place came up to him and his table of "people". I didn't bother him and when he was leaving he came over and talked to us on his way out.He even touched my shoulder..haaa.. I found out later that he & Chuck Berry were playing at a veune not to far from us and he was staying in the hotel across the street from the restruant. Heck, a guy's gotta eat right? lol. He was very spiffy looking but not too over the top. Dressed just enough to get your attention which I'm sure he just loves lol.

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »

awww Wish.. you need someone to pamper you too sometimes. Maybe everyone thinks your self sufficent and you don't need any help. Maybe they don't realize the reality of renal disease. Anyway, you take time to take to do something special for yourself also. You deserve it!  Pop: We usually brew the bag in the hot water cup for a couple minutes. Some leave in but I think most take it out. Some like milk, some like lemon. I'm a lemon kinda girl. We also have all kinds of flavored teas that are popular. Everything from Peppermint to Dragon Fruit and Melon. You name it. I was sick last week and drank lots of regular tea with honey to soothe my throat. I don't know if the honey actually works but if I think it did, well then it did lol.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »

I'm not a caregiver but I want some of this hugging action... can I claim I am a caregiver for my cat?  :rofl;

:shy;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

Yes you can! You can claim caregiver to your granny too lol. You gets tons of hugs Richard from here you know. Everyday, for all the kindness & information you give daily. And for your great sense of humor too. So today just for you is a hug AND a kiss. On the cheek of course lol. *wink

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »

ooooh!

:shy; :shy; :shy; :shy;

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 04:43:54 PM »

Criiiiikey.

;)

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:31:58 PM »

RM, you know it is the cat who takes care of you! It does't matter though, a man who so loves his cat is deserving of lots of hugs!
 :grouphug;

"Hot tea" is actually a southernism. I am a tea drinker originally from the northeastern US. When I first moved south I asked for tea at a restaurant. I got iced tea. Up north it is tea or iced tea. Here in the south it is hot tea or tea. I drink my tea (hot) with lots of milk in it and I never remove the teabag. Cheers!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »

Well, as a caregiver, I can certainly qualify for some of the hugs going on in this thread...so, I'll send one out to all of you  :grouphug; and I'll claim one for me.  Today was a little tough (neph appt for hubby...potassium very low, phosphorus really high and he came home to eat chocolate and mixed nuts) and platelets have fallen again.   So, the hugs are helpful! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 04:36:54 AM »

Hey looney, why do our men do that? Ya know, dumb things? "Labs all messed up so I think I'm gonna mess 'em up even more. Chocolate...yummy " lol  Some, no most, time I cringe when I watch him eat like that like there's not a care in the world. The whole "too school for school" attitude. Isn't that unusual for the K to be on the LOW end as a D patient? What's going on with the platelets? Do they give him something during D for that? I can surely see you need some hugs!

looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45:56 AM »

TS, I wish I knew the answer to that....not that I could change it or anything, it just would be nice to understand the thinking behind it.  Not sure why his potassium is low other than he must be taking more off with the NxStage than he is taking in.  I recommended he drink some V-8 daily for a while to boost it back up.  As far as the platelets, the doc has ordered a test to see if the heparin used during his treatment has caused him to make antibodies to it and if that is not the problem, then he will send us to a hemologist to try to find out what is causing his body to not make adequate amounts of platelets.  I can tell you that he is bleeding profusely and his skin is breaking down to the point that he will have several spots a day that bleed for hours. 

Thanks for the hugs...I really like them!   :grouphug;

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 09:29:20 AM »

Lonney, is everything ok with his liver?

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »

looneytunes, I need a lot of hugs to day, I feel so stressed.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »

*hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs* *hugs*. Hope you can feel them!

-Lady Noir-

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 02:26:52 PM »

Hey looney, why do our men do that? Ya know, dumb things? "Labs all messed up so I think I'm gonna mess 'em up even more. Chocolate...yummy "

:rofl;
Mike used to do the exact same thing. I think it's just a case of, it's not fair, i wanna do exactly what i want. Which is probably what i'd do too..  :2thumbsup;
Sanity. I vote for it.

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »

Yeah Lady, I "might" too but the fact that your diet will play an important role in how you feel makes a difference. At least to me. I would like to fell good. Then, the lamighty fact that if you DON'T do what you're supposed to you can die. Me, I like living but I don't know how i would be mentally with dialysis if I were on it.

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »

Me too me too   :grouphug;  :grouphug;   :grouphug;   Being off on a mini vacation for my 60th  :o i missed this but surely want in on it still ... Sounds like others are needing those hugs more than me right now so i wish to send them out to all of our lovely 'givers' and wish all the best.  I think this was a lovely thing to do ts, and im so glad for all the shared hugs......... TO ALL!!   :clap;   BLESS US ALL  :grouphug; And bring some special peace and rest. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:04 PM »

TX...don't know yet on the liver issue....guess they'll check that out while they are investigating the low platelet issue. 

BB...Huge Cyberhugs coming across the big pond to you.  I know things are stressful for you and I am SO hoping they get better quickly for you.  Have a hug from me and a glass of vino and try to close your eyes and envision our beach and fields to hike on. 

Boswife...Happy Birthday!   :birthday;  And of course, hugs are for you too!   :grouphug;   :grouphug;   :grouphug;

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 04:46:26 PM »

Think this should spin off into the hug and cuddle thread !!  :rofl;

re the eating bad stuff despite labs... yeah it doesn't make sense to me BUT then again sometimes it would take a hell of a lot of willpower on my part to say "NO! I shouldn't have that yummy thing I crave because it is bad for me!" - most of the time my willpower would win out, but sometimes I'd cave. However if I did treat myself I'd be extra careful to try and balance it out during the day, so if I had something high-K, I'd make sure to go low the next meal, and hopefully balance out that way.

I guess the answer lies in that some personality types are the sort to want to rebel against orders just because... even when the obvious and clear thing to do is not.... I mean look at your average teenager!!

del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »

:cuddle; :grouphug; to all the caregivers!!!  Guess I am one too, but I consider myself more of a partner.  Hubby does a wonderful job of looking after himself!!!  I feel so bad for carers when I read about the way the person they are caring for are not helping to care for themselves. 

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
-Lady Noir-

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »

The feeling good part, i dunno about. Does your hubby ever feel good? Mike never felt good before he started dialysis, or while on it either.  :waiting;

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 09:47:38 PM »

No Mike doesn't ever feel good in my opinon. This morning at 5:30 am I awoke to the sound of barfing in the little bathroom next to us. To him it's just "normal"  and actually, that's how our life has become. Does your husband sleep at night? Mine doesn't. Up all night in the living room, tv on  like it's day etc.. I'm like WTHeck... He's a little better since he started 3x a week. (was told too for a year only doing 2) but then something else comes up. Now he feel out of bed into the end table. He has a humgo 10x10 purple bruise on his side/ back so we've been in all week. Just another case of "something else". It gets tiring. He started dialysis when he was 55? ish (just tiuned 60) but he seems like he's in his 80's. Looks wise too. It's so draining watching someone who is always kinda dragging.I rememeber when he was supposed to do 3x a week and wouldn't he'd vomit all the time all over al the time. We couldn't even be in the car without him pulling over. I kept saying "you're not getting enough dialysis. You need 3x a week." I think it went through his ears. I know people who do well. They eatright and take care od themselves. they are still physcially active (though have made adjustments). Mike is now a "couch potatoe" lol. My life, I get used to toit then from time to time I get very sad and hurt because reality hits me and I know it's not normal. But's it's OUR normal. I'm ok with a different normal but at times this is too much. I'm assuming yo have your "stuff" goin on too. Richard ML: yeah, but you can have a little chocolate or a giant 3 lb. block of it. Choice is up to you. that's the difference. hey, I got out again! That karoke thing lol. It's right across the street so how can I miss out. Del you are fortunate hubby looks after hiself. My husband probably like others may not take care of themselves but mine DOES thank me and tells me he's appreciates me. Hold on Richard, yours are comg!Q

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »