I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 11:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Low immunity tips
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low immunity tips  (Read 9723 times)
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »

Apart from the usual food safety and such, is there any other tips you have for keeping your new kidney safe?

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:56:51 PM »

My suggestions (from a mom's perspective):
Keep hydrated, especially if you're sick with a cold or flu, and keep an eye out for a fever. Avoid sick people, especially in flu season. Use hand sanitizer. Take meds routinely and get labs done on schedule. Learn what the lab values mean. Occasionally check your weight and blood pressure, keep a log. Live your life!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »

Pretty much what Karol said.

I keep the hand sanitiser at home (in main rooms, bedroom, bathroom) and at work (at my desk) and use it on a regular basis - specially before I go near food (and after). If I do washing up and stuff, I also have an extra wash. Yes, if I even feel a tinge of something I get stuck into hot tea (or water if it is hot) - I've found if I don't drink enough it can drive the creatanine up and is obviously not good for the bean. I try to have 2.5L daily, and more if it is hot (it is summer here now).

Avoid people caughing or who seem sick obviously - in the most polite way - and be aware when out in terms of food. Like I won't eat from a place that has their food under a warmer - could have been there for hours! So, I will go for stuff I know has been freshly prepared (like an asian stir fry, pad thai noodles, a soup or something).

One tip the dietician told me that I never though of was avoid soft serve ice cream from places like McDonalds or other fast food places. Not an issue per se with the mixture of the ice cream (apart from making you fat :) ) but she claimed that if they don't clean the nozzles and tubes properly because it's dairy going through bacteria can live and grow in there and it could get dangerous.

I won't go to somewhere like subway because of all the ingredients just sitting there at the bench. I'm sure 95% of the time it would be fine, but I don't want to get the one where some lettuce or cheese or something is a little dodgy. Also avoid deli meats like salami, ham etc for a similar reason.

i think a lot of it is common sense. I mean I don't go out in a plastic suit or mask or anything, and I'm not washing my bed sheets every day and scrubbing the walls madly, but I do try and keep things clean at home and am way more conscious of washing my hands on a very regular basis than I ever used to be. Go to toilet - WASH (long time!), cuddle kitty (WASH), go out and touch external doors and stuff, WASH. Going to take meds, or eat food? use the antibacterial on hands - just in case.

Really the biggesst risks are what you put into your body(ie: food) and when you touch something then unconsciously touch your nose or eyes - all common entry points for bacteria so I try to be conscious of that stuff.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:35 AM »

If you have handi wipes there, I'd use them on the phones at work, along with the keyboard if he uses one.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 03:46:24 AM »

Take a garlic capsule everyday for natural immunity...naturally antiseptic/antibacterial/anti-inflammation and doesn't interact with post transplant meds.

I'm interested in knowing if diet helps. My doc told me a vegetarian diet helps lower creatinine so I've been following a mainly vegetarian one with loads of superfoods like broccoli, watercress, beetroot, pineapple etc plus bottled water since I've been told there can be traces of arsenic in tap water that is very toxic to the kidneys.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:08:21 AM by Sugarlump » Logged

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »

I have a box of proper masks (they need to be good ones) on hand and I try to carry one with me when I'm in crowded places, like the subway or the hospital lab.  Not that I wear it, but I have it in case I feel too close contact or is someone is sneezing etc and I can't get away.

I also try to eat lots of healthy veggies and fruit and most importantly low salt...to avoid high blood pressure.  And stay away from dodgy food places as others have said.

Of course the most obvious thing is strict adherence to the drug taking and go to the doctor immediately in case of fever (above 37.5 is the rule here).

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:40:21 AM »

I'm going to add a slightly different prospective.  When I got my transplant in '73 we had none of the stuff commonly talked about today.  There were no hand sanitizers, wipes, or cleaners that promised to kill 99.99% of germs.  We were told to be careful for a few months but that was it.  I've never rally taken any real precautions.  Heck in college I've lived in a fraternity house and no it was not that far off from what was seen in the movie Animal House.  I did and still do rarely get sick I've gotten the flu twice in my life (pre flu shots) and a cold maybe once a year if that.  If I look back at my employment record I'd guess I average 2 - 4 sick days a year (usually gout realted).

Having said (written) all that I'd like to make two points. First, yes I'd practice all the good hygiene point mentioned above being more careful is still better than not.

Second, one of the points I often see missing in these discussions is the importance (at least important to me) of a strong body.  From the moment I could I was out playing with my friends.  Since I could not play contact sports in High School I ran track and cross country.  Though I did not computer in college I still did run on a regular basis.  I've always exercised and stayed in shape and am never afraid to push my body to and beyond it's physical limitations.  Though I can't really run anymore I cycle (2,000 to 3,000 miles/yr) and do restive weight training (2X/week).

I can't promise that if you keep in top shape you transplant will last as long as mine but I can say you will feel so much better about your health and self.

Bill
Brightsky69

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:20:35 AM »

All good advice.
No Subway?? I love Subway. I do try to stay away from fast food places. But..if I don't cook dinner then my BF is eager to get Wendy's or McDonalds. UGH!
Also at work I keep masks in my drawer. Just in case someone has a cold and needs to come around me.
I like the exercise advice also. But I find it hard to get motivated. I still have anemia and get winded quick.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »

Excellent points Bill!  You are so right about the exercise and keeping in shape... even with my compromised system I go to the gym almost every morning BUT am very careful to wash my hands really well before I leave and I wear workout gloves to cut down on direct handling of weights and handles.
After my transplant in '86 I was careful for a bit but never obsessed.  Common sense makes a lot of sense.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »

Chris - good point about the wipes - I forgot that one, but I didn't forget for real - on my first day in I bought a big container of wipes and wiped down my whole work area, keyboard, phone, desk etc. I still do from time to time, though I usually just go with the antibacterial on my hands.

Exercise - yes very important. I try to walk at least 2km's every work morning and longer on the weekends. I'm not a gym junkie, but I do believe walking is a great way to exercise the cardio system, legs etc and think it's important to keep up a routine (I just have to add sunscreen etc before I go out of course!).

Again common sense is the key. If it seems like it might be a bit of a worry it's safer to stay away or make other plans or whatever. Chances are you'd be OK, but it's way better in my book to be safe(r) than sorry.

note I write "safer" there because as we all know you can take ALL the precautions in the world and still something can happen that you may have no control over. I think it's best to keep things in mind, but also in perspective and don't go anal about every last little thing - chances are if you did catch something it wouldn't be because you forgot to wipe down your phone or ate at subway, but something else you couldn't avoid, like some jerk coughing right in your face, or an interaction with a med that wasn't expected, or just blind chance of something in the transplant itself.

My theory is if I don't do anything totally foolhardy inviting problems, that I have a better chance than most of avoiding silly mistakes/problems that could crop up.

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »

I also use a mask when cleaning the vaccum cleaner, either bag or canister.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 07:04:14 PM »

I miss Subways so much, but the food sitting there isn't the best choice to make.  And fast foods (unless freshly made) and salad bars and buffets were ones I was told to avoid.  Soft drink soda fountains and ice tea containers -- they aren't cleaned often or well.  I take my own bottle of water when I eat out.  Just my own llittle routine!  I think we all find what works the best for us.   

Also, hand rails, escalators, door handles, anything the entire public runs their hands over, makes me cringe.  If I have long sleeves on, I pull it down over my hand or I pull a tissue out.  I may be hyper, but I waited a long time and there may never be a second chance.  So finding your own comfort level is what the first year seems to be about.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »

So right. I only go to fast food that is freshly made and I can see them doing it.. Like the upscale burger places that cook it fresh in front of you (as opposed to zapping something in a microwave). Sometimes I walk past subway, or this local place that makes these awesome chicken schniztel rolls, and I almost relent, but then i figure.. no... you're just tempting fate. Like you say this is our gift, we need to make sacrifices to keep it, or do our best to keep it. I know the chances are probably low (specially the further into transplant when the imune supressants are lowered so you have SOME resistance left) but it's just not worth it, and a small price to pay for that peace of mind that you're actively doing stuff to help your kidney, rather than doing something you know there's a chance could harm it.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »

Since more and more places are putting touch free devices in their restrooms, there are no more paper towels to use to open the door. I carry a couple napkins from restaurants in my coat to use to open the door and quickly toss away. Odd that they have a trash can by the door, but no paper towel dispenser tho.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

My dietician advised me to avoid salad bars due to potential contamination from other patrons.   She advised me to not drink well water, but city tap water should be O.K.

As far as keeping the kidney safe, given where it's located, I try not to bruise or injure myself in that part of my body.  Unlike the kidneys you were born with, the transplanted kidney is much closer to the surface skin and hence more vulnerable to a sudden blow.

Taking a multivitamin that contains vitamin D will help keep your immune system in good shape.

Finally, when doing housework or working on my car, I wear thick work gloves.  Even when I was young and healthy, I sometimes got a nasty infection when I cut myself on a dirty piece of metal while working.  I now try to wear work gloves to prevent cutting myself accidentally.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »

With the car work I did, I couldn't wear gloves, it would hamper the progress because I did bodywork, plus at the time gloves were unheard of in the shop either in the mechanics bay or the body shop. I'm probably old fashioned and wouldn't wear them if I went back to working on cars. Even working on my own vehicle I don't wear gloves because I like to feel for things better than with a glove, but after getting dirty and needing to go somewhere or eat, I wish I did.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

-Lady Noir-

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »

What happens if you get a cold? Extra blood tests? Hospital stay?

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 03:12:11 PM »

For a cold, no.  Flu, most likely yes.  I've had a couple of colds since my transplant - all sneezing, runny nose sorts of things.  I upped my fluid intake, guzzled chicken soup and checked my temp frequently.  It doesn't really go up with a regular cold much, maybe a degree or two from my usual 96. (Yes, I do have ice in my veins.)  If it had gotten high, I would have ran to my doc ASAP.  All of my colds went away in the usual 7 or days.  If any of the symptoms had gotten worse instead of better, I'd have gone to the doc as well.

The hardest thing to learn, and one of the most important is STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 04:55:25 PM »

The most important thing is to avoid diarrhea and vomiting. If those happen you really need to get to the hospital so you can get your anti-rejection meds intraveneously. Otherwise you could lose the kidney.

That is why they want you to be on top of catching things. Colds, like Jbeany said, are not such a problem. Getting dehydrated or losing too many fluids, can be a BIG problem.  :bow;

Take care of that kidney!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »

Yep!
I know that all to well. The thing is to know when to call your doctor to give them as much detail as possible.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:21:14 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

-Lady Noir-

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 05:50:50 PM »

Cheers guys! Mike has a cold!  ::)

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 07:29:13 PM »

I was told if temp gets over 37.5 to contact the registrar. Otherwise treat it as a cold unless the symptoms were serious and you were concerned. I've had a few semi-colds and mostly it's been OK. Like others - up the fluids, have soup etc and I've done mostly OK. Of course it's summer here - a bit worried about winter, but well just face it when we come to it.

chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »

[quote author=RightSide link=topic=21943.msg361882#msg361882 date=129

Taking a multivitamin that contains vitamin D will help keep your immune system in good shape

I was told NOT to take any vitamins....just curious why not?

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

[quote author=RightSide link=topic=21943.msg361882#msg361882 date=129

Taking a multivitamin that contains vitamin D will help keep your immune system in good shape

I was told NOT to take any vitamins....just curious why not?
That's odd to me. Your the first I know off told not to take vitamins. I have been on them from dialysis and since transplant, plus on seperate Vitamin D, Calcium plus Vit D, Magnesium, Iron. Of course we are all different, but may want to keep tabs about it with your team because the effects the meds can have on your bones.[/quote][/quote]

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »

The hospital renal pharmacist told me we shouldn't take vitamins without checking with doc/pharmacist first because some interact with the other drugs and can block or increase absorption rates, particularly prograf/advagraf/cellcept; especially Vitamin C !!!

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »