I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:24:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  DaVita Inc. announced Feb. 4 to acquire DSI Renal Inc for $690 million
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DaVita Inc. announced Feb. 4 to acquire DSI Renal Inc for $690 million  (Read 3838 times)
greg10

« on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »

Some of you in this forum are affected, as shown in this thread by Tyefly: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=21873.0;topicseen

DENVER—DaVita Inc. announced Feb. 4 that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire DSI Renal Inc. for approximately $690 million, subject to adjustments.

DaVita said it expects to close the transaction in the second or third quarter of this year.

Completion of the transaction is subject to customary closing conditions including Hart-Scott-Rodino antitrust clearance, according to the dialysis provider. In addition, DaVita said it anticipates that the company will have to divest some centers as a condition of the transaction.

DSI currently operates 106 dialysis centers serving approximately 8,000 patients. DSI's current annualized revenue is approximately $360 million.

"We look forward to joining the dedicated teammates and physicians associated with DSI in continuing to provide quality care to ESRD patients,” said Kent Thiry, Chairman and CEO of DaVita stated. “This acquisition introduces us to several new geographies and makes us a more effective competitor in selected areas. Through this acquisition we will be able to bring the broader line of DaVita chronic kidney disease services to DSI patients. These services will be beneficial for patients, physicians, payors, and taxpayers in providing more effective care and helping to reduce costs to the health care system."

Leif Murphy, president and CEO of DSI said, "DaVita has always shared DSI's commitment to improving the quality of life of our patients and to providing high quality care. We believe that combining with DaVita in today's complex healthcare environment will help us take our operations to the next level and greatly benefit our patients and staff."

http://www.renalbusiness.com/news/2011/02/davita-to-acquire-dsi-renal-for-690m.aspx

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »

So that means DaVita was willing to pay $86,250 a patient, which is above the price they paid for the 2004 acquision of Gambro ($3.1 billion for 43,200 patients (about $71,750 per patient)). However it is well below what FMC paid for RCG in 2005 ($4.1 billion for 36,000 patients (about $128,000 per patient)).

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:34 PM »

Soo eventually dialysis centers will be  a monoply run company.The articles statements from the CEO's sounds more like they are lying through their teeth about how they care for patients from reading the threads on here.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »

Yes  I will be very affected......  I have worked hard with my clinic giving them all sorts of information on how extended Dialysis is better...  and my Doctor too  has work hard for this....  writing directly to the Chief Medical officer....   may phone calls and time was put into this.....  I might be able to do extended until Davita takes over  but I am sure I will not be able to continue.... as Davita does not support anytime of nocturnal....   I am hoping they will buy the extended model.... and let me continue....   There is sometime evil that I a person has to fight ( so to speak ) to get better dialysis even when everyone knows that its better.... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
greg10

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »

.. it is well below what FMC paid for RCG in 2005 ($4.1 billion for 36,000 patients (about $128,000 per patient)).
Leif Murphy, president and CEO of DSI said, "DaVita has always shared DSI's commitment to improving the quality of life of our patients and to providing high quality care. We believe that combining with DaVita in today's complex healthcare environment will help us take our operations to the next level and greatly benefit our patients and staff."

http://www.renalbusiness.com/news/2011/02/davita-to-acquire-dsi-renal-for-690m.aspx
Leif Murphy, CEO of DSI was an executive vice president with RCG back in 2004-2005 when RCG (Renal Care Group) sold out to FMC.  This guy is just doing his thing, flipping dialysis clinics, except now he is getting paid a little more.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »