I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 09:31:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Yes, I am a crazy pothead. Insert kidney here.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yes, I am a crazy pothead. Insert kidney here.  (Read 12636 times)
raina

This is me and my boy.

« on: December 30, 2006, 06:29:10 PM »

I'm... different.  Raised untraditionally in a mix between various relatives, foster homes, and the streets I've forged my own set of values from alot of different influences. I was the first in my family to graduate high school and pulled myself off the streets at 18 to start a sucessful buisness before I got sick.  Its still runnin' now.. I'm just not managing it anymore.

Before I got sick I smoked pot maybe once a week.  Now, out of concern for my lungs, I eat or vaporize.  I got a permit from my local state because after getting sick I lost over 100 pounds to nausea and lack of appetite.  About three times a week I get so sick I can't keep food down without it.  Despite me seeing 2 gastro-???-enologists and trying every nausea pill they have they still see my use of medical marijuana as "recreational" and are insinuating I may not be able to get a transplant because of it.

The transplant team is talking about scheduling me for a psychological exam.  Yes, sports fans, I am insane.  I'm dancing to a drummer that most can't hear.  I am, however, happy and not a danger to myself or anyone else. I don't want to talk to a psychologist or take prozak.

It really gets to me the way they seem to want me to prove that I am worthy of a kidney.  I can understand the medical testing to make sure my other organs are in good shape but the rest is none of their buisness.  Even if I were using pot recreationally, why would it matter? 

The last thing thats ticking me off here, which is really not an issue for me, is they are asking financial questions.  Would I be able to come up with $1200 a month for antirejection meds even if I lost my insurence?  For me that would be doable thanks to my buisness but I wonder how many were rejected because they said no?

I am the great Rainholio.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 06:41:47 PM »

Damn girlfriend, i can soooo relate to your story (somewhat) :P   I really enjoy reading your posts.  We should get together and chat sometime,  I am sure we have alot in common ;) ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »

Oh lordy - I have no idea how I would come up with $1200 without insurance.  I've got Medicare, and the only way I would lose my insurance is if my hubby lost his job and couldn't work at all - so I suppose I'd qualify for Medicaid then, wouldn't I?

Hey, my first transplant appointment is in February.  I don't suppose you would list some of the other questions they asked you?  I'm really curious about what I'm in for during this 5 hour long "appointment".

You realize, of course, that if you quit the pot, you'll lose so much weight that they will drop you off the list for being malnourished, right?   :banghead;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:04:30 PM »

:welcomesign;
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:11:39 PM »

You realize, of course, that if you quit the pot, you'll lose so much weight that they will drop you off the list for being malnourished, right?   :banghead;

Or, she can gain alot of weight and still be off the list for being overweight,  geeze, almost a no win situation

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 09:21:42 PM »

Shoot me, just shoot me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
scyankee

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 11:18:29 PM »

If you haven't been prescreened this is what I had when I went to the transplant center:
  Fill out papers
  See one doctor, social worker, a nephrologist, psychiatrists, have an IV inserted. The fun part was the
stress test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the psychiatrists say as little as you need to but make them think
that you REALLY are interested in the transplant.
  Good luck!
  SCYankee
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 01:03:26 AM »

Hope things go your way. Paper work uuuuugggghhh..
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:09 AM »

All these appointments and evaluations are a "normal" part of getting listed.  Meeting with a psychologist, social worker, financial co-ordinator, etc. The best advice I got was that they really are there to help me. If a problem comes up, they will help "fix" it --like get all the financial information in order for you, if stress test is a problem, they do more tests to make sure your heart is ok.  I was scared when I first met with them. I thought I would fail their tests!  I have a great team and they all made me feel comfortable.  I am also a private person, and didn't really want to share my life with these strangers. But, as I use to tell my children when they hated a certain teacher, you just have to play their game. They make the rules  -  I want to live --I will follow their rules, even if I think they are stupid!  Keep coming her to vent. Everyone is always willing to help.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
shay_pcb

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 03:27:36 PM »

I also had a small problem with the pot. I don't do it anymore, but they were worried that I would start back after having a transplant. They said that smoking pot could make you lose the new kidney, which is why they won't give a potsmoker a kidney transplant. Just thought I'd fill you in on what I was told. :D
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 01:31:20 PM »

I also had a small problem with the pot. I don't do it anymore, but they were worried that I would start back after having a transplant. They said that smoking pot could make you lose the new kidney, which is why they won't give a potsmoker a kidney transplant. Just thought I'd fill you in on what I was told. :D

Why does pot use make the transplant fail?  Do they know that for a fact or is it just some anti-pot thing?  What exact effects will it have on the transplanted kidney? Will it interfere with anti rejection meds?  I'm going to search on medline for any info I can find
Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19:45 PM »

I think they just find ANY reason not to list people.  I guess there are SO many people waiting that if you smoke pot, or tobacco, or eat too much or want to have a baby with your mother's boyfriend they will find fault and not list you. 

Just tell them as little as possible.  And smile (if you have good teeth)

kelliOR

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 04:17:51 PM »

There is a group of molds called aspergillis which is found in decaying vegetation (including marijuana). They generate into a fungus that can cause IPA (invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis).  There are documented cases of this lethal infection found in transplant patients that are immunosuppessed.  The fungus is transmitted in the smoke of marijuana and settles in the lungs.  IPA is potentially lethal, although there have been some successes with aggressive antifungal therapy. This info has aggressively halted my urge to burn one.

I believe this is why the transplant work-up teams want to know your habits.

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 04:33:12 PM »

that is the best explanation for not smoking I have heard of yet,thankyou for that information.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »

There is a group of molds called aspergillis which is found in decaying vegetation (including marijuana). They generate into a fungus that can cause IPA (invasive pulmonary Aspergillosis).  There are documented cases of this lethal infection found in transplant patients that are immunosuppessed.  The fungus is transmitted in the smoke of marijuana and settles in the lungs.  IPA is potentially lethal, although there have been some successes with aggressive antifungal therapy. This info has aggressively halted my urge to burn one.

I believe this is why the transplant work-up teams want to know your habits.

Thanks for the information.  I tried pot once when I was 18 and nothing happened.  I didn't get buzzed or high, nothing at all.  I have a relative who smoked a lot of pot and was in a daze half the time and I never wanted to be like him. 
HE was my Anti-Drug.   :rofl;

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
karen547

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »

i smoked some pot a few years ago bu I cannot do it anymore because they threaten you saying u wont get a kidney if you do, plus I have asthma so ya i cant smoke a lot
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 03:03:23 PM »

because they threaten you saying u wont get a kidney if you do,

Good. I don't think anyone who uses recreational drugs should get a transplant.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
karen547

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 05:41:54 AM »

I agree Angela, yes I made a decision to try it, but I want this transplant so I wont do anything that stupid to ruin it.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 07:17:52 AM »

:grouphug;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 06:17:43 PM »

If they are going to turn away pot users, perhaps they should also turn away users of alcohol aned nicotine? As a social and recreational drinker myself, this would put me off the list!  :(

I'm not necessarily a supporter of pot - I'm not particularly against it either. More than 10 years ago I was a pot smoker, quite a regular one at that. But I do not have any issue with people who use it recreationally - I am not denying that it can be a problem for some users, but so can alcohol. And nicotine is by far more addictive, imo.
vandie

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 06:36:43 PM »

If they are going to turn away pot users, perhaps they should also turn away users of alcohol aned nicotine? As a social and recreational drinker myself, this would put me off the list!  :(

I'm not necessarily a supporter of pot - I'm not particularly against it either. More than 10 years ago I was a pot smoker, quite a regular one at that. But I do not have any issue with people who use it recreationally - I am not denying that it can be a problem for some users, but so can alcohol. And nicotine is by far more addictive, imo.

Marijuana s illegal.  Alcohol and nicotine are legal.  The rule makes perfect sense to me.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 07:08:15 PM »

I knew some veterans that would partake in smoking pot before going in for treatment. They claim it takes the edge off the needle stick. They also told me it helps them relax during treatment.
Insert "Dark Side Of the Moon" here. I haven't tried this myself, but from my observation, it seems to work.

Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 07:18:45 PM »

Marijuana s illegal.  Alcohol and nicotine are legal.  The rule makes perfect sense to me.

But surely alcohol and nicotine have as much, if not more, ability to affect the potential success of the transplant? I figure the rule should be based on this, first and foremost.
kelliOR

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2007, 07:22:57 PM »

I'll post this again....   Pre transplant, I don't believe weed has too many risk factors,  but post transplant......................

I believe this is why the transplant work-up teams want to know your habits

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
Falkenbach
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 07:39:12 PM »

Yes, I did read that Kelli, and I do consider it a valid argument. I also think similar evidence could no doubt be found in relation to other drugs, including legal ones.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »