I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Bumps...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Bumps...  (Read 19544 times)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »

Good morning friends,
 I have been noticing that folks at my unit have these huge bumps/lumps on their fistulas. It scares me...is my fistula going to look like that? My buttonholes are not really taking to the blunt needles and I still continue to use sharps...does this affect the fistula balloning out like that?
Anything you can do to stop or reduce that? How do you get rid of it once it happens?
xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Phil

What doesnt kill you, makes you stronger

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:55:56 PM »

I was worried about the same thing when I started.....and from what I understand, basically, the longer you're on HD the more likely you are to get aneurysms (bumps). This is because eventually the skin weakens around the needling areas and due to the high blood pressure, balloons out. It also dipends on the structure of your veins, so some people will get larger bumps than other people.

I have heard that the buttonhole technique can reduce the risk of aneurysms, but there is no way (that I know) to reverse them once created. I'm not sure, but if & when a fistula stops working, then I think the aneursyms 'deflate'....but not sure on this last part.

At the end of the day I'm not as worried as I was....my fistula is what keeps me alive.

1993 - Diagnosed with Alport Sindrome
April 2010 - Fistula surgery on right forearm
May 2010 - Started HD
Still waiting for the call!!!!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »

Oh ive seen some whoppers ! and thought ewww, so you are not alone on that one. Everyone i asked about them (no one minded) seemed to say the same thing and that was they had had them for many years and a lot of it was scar tissue as the fistula with use over the years toughens up ! So you might have to wait a while before you need worry about that  :2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »

I have been dialysing for less than a year, and already have a lumpish bumpish arm - but I have scrawny arms so maybe it makes it worse.  Seems its pretty much par for the course, although I certainly find it less disfiguring than the permcath was.......
Brightsky69

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:50:06 AM »

I was  always worried about that. That was one reason I wanted to do PD. One of my nurses was telling me about a patient that hated the idea of a PD catheter because she wanted still look good in a bikini. I was thinking does she know what a fistula can do to the arm?

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »

The 'bumps' were one of the main reasons Blokey didn't want a fistula.  He's been using his fistula for a couple of months now (and I've just realised we don't have all the hoo-haa we used to have when he was using the line in his chest) and came home on Wednesday to announce that his arm was starting to get 'bumpy'.  He seemed a little sad, but I said that I'd rather he had a 'bumpy' arm than not be here and that I promise not to love him any less because of it.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »

High blood speeds.....??? could that be the cause of those large bumps.....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
grannysgirl

Why Am I still here? Cause God says so!

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »

:flower; I was anti-fistula too because of the huge bumps. I did inquire as to why and was given a couple of answers from both techs and a doc. I was told " if you are cannulized at the same spot all the time that this happens". These bumps can be removed with plastic surgery! " One fellow patient told me that we can have them removed anytime we get tired of looking at them. I have hard bumps up dand own my arm so who knows what the real answer is. :Kit n Stik;

Duchess of VA
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »

Once I was happy, but I'm not forlorn,
to see my fistula partially tattered but not torn,
so over hill, over dale,
rushes my blood, under full sail,
against the mounds, I don't rail,
as it keeps this body on life's trail
If I were to add 'Burma Shave' how many would ,get it!'

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:14 PM »

Repeated use of the same spots weakens the blood vessel walls and aneurisms form.  The methods that I have heard  work are button holes and then there is what is known as the ladder approach.  The ladder is a new spot every session and spreads the load over more of the fistula.  The Down side is that frequent sticks at the same spot reduces the pain of the insertion so every time they move its going to hurt, second every time a new spot is used there is a chance of infiltration.  If I am not paying attention at the start of dialysis there is a good chance I will be stuck in my small bumps.  But if I insist they will move either up the arm or down and I am happier.  The other thing I have noticed is some patients do not like the pain and will complain if they are stuck in a new place.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:57:32 PM by Michael Murphy » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »

While not generally promoted, it is possible to learn to create/use buttonholes for selt canulation even if you are an in-center patient.
Cowdog

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 07:47:15 AM »

I'm an in-center patient and create/use buttonholes for self cannulation.

Hemo in Center since 11/2008
Self Cannulate since 2011
In Center Self Care since 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »