I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 01:04:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Had a very bad session last night (again)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had a very bad session last night (again)  (Read 5743 times)
Des
Elite Member

« on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:20 AM »

3hours into the session I started feeling "funny" I was sweating like a pig and felt dizzy, tired and had a fast pulse.

I called the staff and they dropped my "head" down. Looking at the blood pressure they realised that it was VERY VERY low.

The last thing I rememebered was when someone said to take me off the machine because whatever they did wasn't working.

I woke up an hour later....... tired, cold and a bit wobley.

I hate when things like this happens!!!!!  :stressed; :banghead; :banghead;

I HATE DIALYSIS!

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Tracy

Loved the Movie!

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »

OHMYGOSH! How scary!  I've never had that happen to me (knock on wood)!  I would be really scared if that happened to me.  Did they find out why your blood pressure dropped so low?  My BP runs very low anyway and they have a hard time getting my top number to reach 100.  So, dropping lower like you did is a scary reality for me I think.  I hope you feel better.  Hang in there!   :cuddle;

9/1990 Found out I have Type 1 Diabetes
7/2008 Told I have GFR 30
2/2009 Kidney/Pancreas Transplant
5 days later, both removed due to massive rejection
Back on List
2/26/10 Fistula placed
3/11/10 Told GFR 9
5/14/10 Started in center Hemo
Waiting on another Transplant
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 09:07:29 AM »

Oh no, Des, I'm really sorry to hear this. :cuddle;  I wish there was something I could do for you.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 10:57:30 AM »

sounds like they are pulling too much water off again.......   I had those problems when I was in center..... 

I     NEVER   have those problems now......   

maybe try to not take so much water off.....  its ok to have a little......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »

Sounds like you are hitting "the wall. " They are trying to remove fluid that you don't have. Sounds like you are at your dry weight. Or if they weren't going for extra, maybe you gained body weight? Not unheard of  after Christmas season.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

Sounds lke you ate well and gained weight!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »

they're supposed to drop you back and give fluid, because they've taken too much.  In my unit they will also set the machine to not take off fluid, I think, but they tend to pause the dialysis at first, just in case they will need to take you off, and add the fluid.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »

Sounds lke you ate well and gained weight!!

No lie there...... :rofl; round an about  :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »

they're supposed to drop you back and give fluid, because they've taken too much.  In my unit they will also set the machine to not take off fluid, I think, but they tend to pause the dialysis at first, just in case they will need to take you off, and add the fluid.

They did, but I fainted anyways.  ???

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »

That sucks Des...sorry to hear that friend...

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2011, 04:02:16 AM »

Sounds like you crashed, all i can say in future as soon as you get the first signs , sweating or light headed get someone over. If they stop fluid being taken off you straight away it can prevent this but sound like you also need a little less fluid taking off now as well ...fatty  :rofl; (you know im only joking  :cuddle; )

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »

No wonder you hate it. That must have been one of the scariest times in your life. Sorry, Des.   :cuddle;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

They did, but I fainted anyways.  ???

I did that a few times in the beginning.. it's how I know what they're supposed to do..*L*  Once they got my dry weight figured out, it wasn't as common.  It still happens from time to time, though.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
mogee

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 10:16:07 PM »

The worst thing about crashing is that you feel terrible for the rest of the day.  Even when your BP is back to normal, you still feel like you were hit by a bus.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »

True!

I really feel unsafe on that &^% machine.

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Exactly why i fought them and learned as much as i could about that &^% machine, so i could have some control . I just struggle with the things i cant get up and do , believe me if i could figure a way of moving about with my machine i would but its a bit like pushing a Dalek round ..not that ive ever pushed one . Ive kicked one but thats a whole other story !!!

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 11:11:05 PM »

I have kicked one of them myself  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
kamar55

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

I've crashed many times and it's always scary. Sometimes it's due to pulling too much and sometimes to gaining "weight weight" and not fluid weight. I'm known as a "fast crash" in my center because my bp drops very low in a few minutes so the tech is on stand by when my bp gets below 100. Then I'll get a hyper-tonic or saline and they'll set the machine to just filter and not pull. I even crashed one time after just 5-10 min on machine and nobody could tell me why that happened. For me the worst about crashing is that I always bite my tongue really hard and lose tiny bits of it, bloody, etc. Yuck! :puke;

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:16 AM »

Des, it happened to me once, and I was so scared I stopped going to dialysis all together until it became a desperate measures issue.  I have absolute empathy - it is truly utterly terrifying to be at the mercy of some machine and to feel so powerless.  My heart is with you.  The only suggestion I can offer is to be hyper-vigilant for warning signs - spots in front of my eyes, coldness, light-headedness, nausea and clammy skin - well these warn me there is a very low BP coming my way.  Wish I could offer more constructive assistance.  Believe me, I to HATE DIALYSIS!
GraphicBass

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 06:53:45 PM »

Had that happen to me two weeks ago, but ended up in the ER for the next day. Treatments since then have been uneventful, but we've kept from going below my newly-discovered dry weight and am not pulling so much. Seems to work. Good luck on your treatments going forward. Don't give up; it's worth the effort to keep living!

gary
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »

I've crashed many times and it's always scary. Sometimes it's due to pulling too much and sometimes to gaining "weight weight" and not fluid weight. I'm known as a "fast crash" in my center because my bp drops very low in a few minutes so the tech is on stand by when my bp gets below 100. Then I'll get a hyper-tonic or saline and they'll set the machine to just filter and not pull. I even crashed one time after just 5-10 min on machine and nobody could tell me why that happened. For me the worst about crashing is that I always bite my tongue really hard and lose tiny bits of it, bloody, etc. Yuck! :puke;

Biting your tongue can't be nice.... The things we have to go through is just   :boxing;

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »

Des, it happened to me once, and I was so scared I stopped going to dialysis all together until it became a desperate measures issue.  I have absolute empathy - it is truly utterly terrifying to be at the mercy of some machine and to feel so powerless.  My heart is with you.  The only suggestion I can offer is to be hyper-vigilant for warning signs - spots in front of my eyes, coldness, light-headedness, nausea and clammy skin - well these warn me there is a very low BP coming my way.  Wish I could offer more constructive assistance.  Believe me, I to HATE DIALYSIS!

Believe me I watch them like a hawk now. I refuse to fall asleep, what if something like this happens while I am asleep I shudder to think about it.   

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 10:06:46 PM »

. Don't give up; it's worth the effort to keep living!

gary

Believe you me! I will never give up.!

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
mogee

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »

kamar55, If you are connecting the arterial line, then priming the circuit with your own blood before connecting the venous line, you may be triggering a hypotensive episode.  To avoid this connect both lines at the same time, thereby replacing your outgoing blood with an equal volume of saline.  Ask your dialysis team if this could be helpful for you.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »