I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Cinacalcet/Sensipar
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cinacalcet/Sensipar  (Read 4217 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« on: January 11, 2011, 01:49:44 PM »

Could someone please tell me what the usual is when on this, for checking your bloods (calcium levels & PTH) I understand they can change rapidly. So far ive been told bloods are weekly/monthly or 3 monthly !!!! We have monthly bloods as routine but PTH is only checked every 3 months.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
murf

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »

My GP (who I think is quite wonderful) has insisted on monthly PTH blood test above and beyond the normal three monthly test.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »

:2thumbsup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »

I used to get PTH monthly yet when I talked about it with my neph (who is also the prof of medicine) he said that doing PTH too often can lead to jumping the gun on what the trend is - so who really knows. I did it monthly anyway because I liked to see any trend forming. Sensipar tends to lower Calcium levels, so you do need to keep an eye on that. It also, helpfully, lowers cholesterol!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »

When hubby first started sensipar he had to have PTH checked every couple of weeks.  Now it is monthly.  He started sensipar about 5 or 6 months ago. His PTH was over 1300 at the time and last month it was 696!!!  Had it tested again yesterday but won't get the results until next week. He has not had any side effects from it at all. He takes it with his meals.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »

Do all dialysis patients have high PTH levels?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 07:18:04 AM »

Here the tests were monthly while adjusting the initial dosage of sensipar and calcijex  once the desired range was achieved the tests went to every 3 months.

However since medicare bundling came down, we are still on sensipar but have been switched to oral vit d now and tests are the beginning of the quarter with no tests to see if its effective or not until the next quarterly test.  Also PTH was to be under 300 because of medical evidence, now medicare says it only has to be under 600.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 07:38:04 AM »

I used to get PTH monthly yet when I talked about it with my neph (who is also the prof of medicine) he said that doing PTH too often can lead to jumping the gun on what the trend is - so who really knows.
I always wondered why doctors don't capitalize on all the mathematical techniques that investors use to follow trends in stock prices and economic changes.  Doctors seem to have reinvented the wheel--and the algorithms that doctors use are far less sophisticated than the ones that investors use.

Here's a simple thing I did right off the bat:

I put the monthly PTH values into an Excel spreadsheet and computed an exponential moving average.  Then I charted the PTH and moving average on ths same axes.  Every time the PTH trend line broke above or below the moving average line by more than 10%, it sure looked to me like time to adjust the dosages of my meds.  This simple technique did a better job of anticipating when to adjust the dosages than the dumb algorithm the doctors use, which is too prone to wild swings in PTH and med dosages.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »

Rightside ....ok now let us have it in plain english   :rofl;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »

My center first did PTH levels quarterly, now it's monthly.
We'll see if that changes as the CMS bundle comes more into play.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 03:03:06 PM »

Had to insist they check my PTH today as this is getting ridiculous also they are going to let me run out of Cinacalcet despite my giving them 2 weeks notice to order it for me . I dont know what difference it will make but i will be several days without it now , that cant be right.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 11:28:15 AM »

Al's PTH has risen in the last 3 months. I ask nurse to do a PTH blood test last week when she did the monthly bloods. I was told that they only do it every 6 months, so got another 3 months to wait. Hello are they bothered.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »

Al's PTH has risen in the last 3 months. I ask nurse to do a PTH blood test last week when she did the monthly bloods. I was told that they only do it every 6 months, so got another 3 months to wait. Hello are they bothered.

I would get the neph to order one. If they're too stupid to noitice an upward trend in PTH values and understand that this is potentially damaging I wouldn't accept that. It's your body and in six months your PTH could be off the scale and causing real bone damage!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »