I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:28:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  The charge nurse is irking my noodle
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The charge nurse is irking my noodle  (Read 9398 times)
raina

This is me and my boy.

« on: December 29, 2006, 01:36:17 AM »

I've been on dialysis for 2.5 years.  I've never skipped a treatment or cut a treatment short for any reason other than a sincere concern for my safety. 

Sometimes when I'm on dialysis I suddenly feel the symptoms of low blood pressure.  I usually wake up to it. My hair feels like its on fire.  The room is spinning.  I feel like I'm drunk all of a sudden. Why they don't have call buttons, I don't know, but I manage to get a tech's attention.  Seconds seem like hours when I'm this sick and it really CHEESES MY NOODLE when they tell me they have to get the nurses permission to give me salene or stop pulling fluids.  HELLO?  I'M DYING OF LOW BLOOD PRESSURE HERE!!!

Last week I wanted to get off the machine 20 minutes early because I felt really sick.  I couldn't stop throwing up/dry heaving, I was shaking violently, and felt really hot and miserable.  The nurse kept telling me that I was fine and blood pressure of 90/30 was not a good enough reason to cut my treatment short.

Ahem.. excuse me whilst I rant.

I DON'T NEED A REASON TO GET OFF THE MACHINE EARLY.  I DON'T NEED THE NURSES PERMISSION.  I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ARGUE WITH THAT WOMAN EVERY TIME I NEED THE FLUID REMOVAL TURNED OFF FOR A FEW MINUTES SO I CAN ADJUST TO WHAT'S ALREADY GONE.  AS A HUMAN BEING, AND ALSO LEGALLY, I HAVE A RIGHT TO REFUSE TREATMENT AT ANY TIME.

In addition, I'm tired the nurse complaining about my fluid intake.  I'm try to keep it under 3 kilos, but when its 3.2 I don't need a nagging.  "I thought you wanted to keep it under 3 kilos, for your heart.. blah.

Finally, I'm tired of the nurse butting into my personal life.  Ok, so my boyfriend drops me off and picks me up every treatment for a year.  We get in a squabble and decide to take some time off so I arrive on the bus one day.  No, I don't want to talk about it.  No, I don't need to talk to a social worker.  No, don't ask me about it again.  I told that lady I needed some space from my boyfriend and didn't want to talk about it.  She kept asking me, is he cheating on you? Hitting you? Why he gone then, don't you love him?   Did I mention 20x already that I don't want to talk about it?  Especially not while you're putting those needles in my arm!!

A week later my boyfriend is back to dropping me off and picking me up, and guess what.. he doesn't want to talk about it either!  Now that we are getting back together, are we goign to ever get married?  Gee.. we hadn't thought of that.. what a great idea!  This is all none of her buisness!  We're just now getting back together and dealing with her questions is not helping.

I'm sure she's mostly well intentioned, but I think she treats me like a child because at 27 I'm her youngest patient, the youngest on this shift by over 30 years.

I am the great Rainholio.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 03:05:51 AM »

You know your rights and you are correct. If you can learn how to work the machine and just make your own adjustments instead of waiting for a nurse.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 04:35:48 AM »

Only you know how you feel so you must take charge. just my  :twocents;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 04:49:17 AM »

Wow I feel for you! I have a nurse who treats me like a kid because I am 33 and the nurse keeps thinking I am only 23 because I look young and talk softly. Everyone else is over 50. But you are right about how you feel. I guess all dialysis units are different and I only know mine and when I say I am feeling dizzy or cramping they always shut off my UF for a few min (this past Wed they had to take me off 8 min early .. I usually don't come off early but having 4.8kg taken off I guess was too much for my heart). Only you know what is best for you and as most will say here, being a dialysis patient means fighting for your own needs. At least you found the right place to vent! Is there anyone at your unit you can talk to about them not listening to your needs? They are important and no one knows you better than yourself. Is it just that one nurse or is it a rule at that unit that they can't just give you salene or stop pulling fluids?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 06:34:23 AM »

Maybe you need to have a heart-to-heart with this nurse.  Or if that doesn't work, a chat with the center director?  You could always start yelling.  Nobody wants a scene.  "I ALREADY TOLD YOU I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE.  STOP HARASSING ME!"  or "I AM FEELING ILL, I NEED TO TAKE A BREAK, I KNOW MY RIGHTS!"

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:03:44 PM »

I think you may need to cause a scene just once.  Then they will stop and think before starting in on you.  I burst into tears one day after a really stressful day at work when a nurse was just teasing me.  HE felt bad and I felt bad, but after that they really checked with me first, then went from there depending on my mood. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »

>:( Maybe I need to go with you next time  >:( We'll get it straightened right out.  ;)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 03:15:41 PM »

I could join you all with my big stick!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 03:25:46 PM »

I could join you all with my big stick!

We will get em Kit.. :rofl;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 03:58:03 PM »

I think we need to put a poster up of our pictures with " Have you seen these dialysis patients?  Is you have, run!"
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:17:02 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 04:48:23 PM »

Hi Raina, Welcome to Ihatedialysis.com.  This is an awesome first post and a very good rant ;)  Can you please go to the introduce yourself section and tell us all a little more about YOU.  You have found the right place and your gonna fit right in ;)  Lookin' forward to hearing more from you... :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Panda_9

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 03:24:51 AM »

She sounds like an annoying cow, very nosey. I would either be looking into home dialysis, or if that isnt possible see if you can learn how to give yourself saline and turn on/off or adjust the UF accordingly. It is very very easy to do and wouldnt take them long to teach it to you.
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 07:45:49 AM »

I have the same argument everytime I show up I try to tell them my dry weight should be changed because I gained some weight from quitting smoking but they wont change it so I wind up getting serious cramps I am ready to kill someone if they won't listen to me. SHIT WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET THESE NURSES TO PAY ATTENTION

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »

Any medical treatment given or continued without the patient's expressed agreement is in law an assault, just as much punishable as a criminal act as if the person imposing the treatment on you were punching you in the nose.  Doctors, nurses, and most of all, patients, seem to have no idea that this is the law throughout the common law world.  I have even heard some patients in a hospital say they did not think they had the legal right to leave the hospital without the doctor's permission.  But of course they do: keeping any patient, no matter how sick, in the hospital against his will is the crime of unlawful arrest and punishable by a prison term!  You don't lose your rights or cease to be a human being just because you are a hospital patient!

Unfortunately, healthy people tend to view sick people with contempt, as if we were all children with none of the normal social barriers against intrusion from the outside world.  If you nurse or social worker ever bothers you about your personal life again, just turn around and ask her the same intimately personal questions about her own life.  That should remind her that you are both equally people.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 09:52:09 AM »

Unfortunately, healthy people tend to view sick people with contempt ...

How did you come up with this theory?  Is it really "us" against "them?"

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
gizmar

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 11:39:35 AM »

Gotta love the "I am G-d" charge nurse.  Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth - don't even engage with the charge nurse about your personal life.  If there is an issue with your treatment - discuss it with the doctor and ask the doctor to expressly give direction to the nurses about your agreed treatment.  If the nurse pushes too far I would have no issue with telling her that she is crossing a boundary and that you would prefer not to discuss your personal life with her.  As well, you better than anyone knows how your body reacts and you always have the final say in your own treatment.  Maybe the nurse needs to be reminded of that.

If you have no success, file a formal complaint - ask them to make it into an incident report.  If you have the option of another nurse for your care, request it.  There are a couple of nurses in my unit who I simply don't trust - I've made a point of telling the charge nurse that I would prefer they not be assigned to me.  Usually, hospitals are pretty accomodating.
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »

Unfortunately, healthy people tend to view sick people with contempt, as if we were all children with none of the normal social barriers against intrusion from the outside world. 

??? ???   I have never seen contempt.

If anything most seem to be overly compassionate to the point many do what they do because they truly thinks they know whats best for those that are sick.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

Tell that nurse to mind her own stinking business and if she doesn't put in a report to her supervisor.  You don't have to put up with that crap.  As for getting off the machine early my understanding is that dialysis is a treatment of choice.  A lot of centers have you sign a paper if you insist on being taken off early.  You're the one who is going to suffer if you don't hsave adequate dialysis not them.  If the centers are like the one hubby was at everybody is in one room very close together-no privacy at all.  Who wants everyone else hearing their problems??

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
nextnoel

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 12:26:07 PM »

Hello, Miss Manners here  (not really, but I am a genuine "Southern lady" when I need to be, and that's the same thing).

Next time the RN (in this case, "Rude Nurse") asks you a personal question, just look at her with a perfectly blank face (and glaring eyes  >:( ), and say, "I BEG your pardon!", with a hefty emphasis on "BEG".  That's Southern for "go to Hell".  If she persists, say "Now, WHY would you ask me THAT?"  If she comes up with an excuse (she's just trying to help, just interested, whatever), just reply, "Oh."  but don't answer the question.  She'll be left hanging, and with luck, she'll feel awkward enough to avoid getting into that situation again.  If she's really dense, you'll have to do this little verbal dance a couple of times until she gets it, but she WILL get it!  ;) 

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
mallory

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 02:07:49 PM »

Hello, Miss Manners here  (not really, but I am a genuine "Southern lady" when I need to be, and that's the same thing).

Next time the RN (in this case, "Rude Nurse") asks you a personal question, just look at her with a perfectly blank face (and glaring eyes  >:( ), and say, "I BEG your pardon!", with a hefty emphasis on "BEG".  That's Southern for "go to Hell".  If she persists, say "Now, WHY would you ask me THAT?"  If she comes up with an excuse (she's just trying to help, just interested, whatever), just reply, "Oh."  but don't answer the question.  She'll be left hanging, and with luck, she'll feel awkward enough to avoid getting into that situation again.  If she's really dense, you'll have to do this little verbal dance a couple of times until she gets it, but she WILL get it!  ;) 

Okay, nextnoel, I have to comment on the "Southern lady" thing.  One of my very good friends is from Alabama.  She is just a wonderful person, and she, too, is a Southern lady.  She told me the other day "You can say anything you want about a person, but at the end you need to say 'bless their heart' because that makes it sound like it wasn't insulting.  For instance, say that you look at a lady and you say 'That dress is so ugly, bless her heart'.  See? Doesn't that sound better?  We do that all the time in the South."

I thought it was pretty funny, but now I find I do it all the time.  I was at work the other day and I said "That marketing person must be an idiot, bless her heart."  And it really did feel better to me than just saying she was an idiot, even though she is! 

Do you do that, too?  I find it's very effective.

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
nextnoel

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »

Yup, I do the "bless her heart" bit on occasion, but I've been away from the South for many years, and that habit has faded a bit.  And of course, there's a wide world of inflections available in just how you say the words - I've found that a slightly limp smile with perhaps a slight tip of the head works best to impart the sarcastic aspect of that phrase.

Aren't I helpful?  (bless my heart . . . .) ::)

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:19 PM »

Excellent reply!

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 05:43:38 PM »

Gotta love them "Southern Belles"  and yes,  "Bless their hearts"  (in a good way)  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 04:29:58 PM »

Tell that nurse to mind her own stinking business and if she doesn't put in a report to her supervisor.  You don't have to put up with that crap.  As for getting off the machine early my understanding is that dialysis is a treatment of choice.  A lot of centers have you sign a paper if you insist on being taken off early. 

I had a problem a few weeks ago and the nurse took me off the machine 5 minutes early.  Okay.    A few days ago I asked to be taken off 5 minutes early because I really really had to use the bathroom.  The nurse pulled out the paperwork and I said to her you have to be kidding me.  :banghead;  It's all fine when you decode to pull me off but when I do it I have to sign the papers for 5 minutes early??  I didn't sign anything and she put the paper away. 

Donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 06:01:21 PM »

I believe you do not have to sign anything if you are less than fifteen minutes away from your time to get off of the machine.
Foot stomping and nagging seems to work!

lifenotonthelist.com

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »