I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:23:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  TB
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: TB  (Read 4396 times)
Sara
Elite Member

TB
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:37:01 PM »

As in, tuberculosis.  Is anyone familiar with it?  During the whole pre-list workup Joe had, he had a TB test on his skin and I think it showed that he had been exposed but didn't have it?  Does that sound right?  He was put on a course of medicine for a little while.  Regarding the medicine, his doctor said it was no big deal and that he himself had taken it at one point.  What does this really mean?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 05:07:25 PM »

As in, tuberculosis.  Is anyone familiar with it?  During the whole pre-list workup Joe had, he had a TB test on his skin and I think it showed that he had been exposed but didn't have it?  Does that sound right?  He was put on a course of medicine for a little while.  Regarding the medicine, his doctor said it was no big deal and that he himself had taken it at one point.  What does this really mean?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

They gave him a course of medicine to help him become immune to getting it. Usually it's 3 shots, 1 shot a month. When they tested him he was a Negative/Positve which meant that he did not have it, BUT he could get it. With the medicine they gave him, it will make him immune to getting it. He
may have to repeat the course of medicine in the future as the immunity can wear off.

I hope this helps.  :thumbup; I will be getting my course of shots next month. Although since I am no longer "in-center" my chance of getting TB has greatly decreased.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »

He was put on pills though, not shots.   ???

Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 03:53:32 PM »

Epoman, I think you mean the Hep B shots with the course of three shots.  TB is a course of treatment with pills.   I am currently on it and am seen pretty regularly by pulmonary doctor who checks the liver levels.  The treatment can give you Hep C and liver problems so they keep on eye on it.  If the urine turns a darker color or you feel funny, they say to discontinue the pills and call the doctor.  So far so good.  It is usually a six to nine month treatment to make sure any TB cellls are killed before transplant.  I am into the 3rd or 4th month of it.  No signs of any nasty side effects. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 04:26:30 PM »

Thanks for the info.  He was only on pills for a few weeks I think, so I guess this is something I'm going to have to investigate with his neph.  What exactly the pills were, why not a longer treatment, etc. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 07:34:34 PM »

Here in central Ohio in one of the suburban schools an active case of TB was
diagnosed and now they are testing other students and have found about 19 people carrying TB
but not active. 

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 01:06:08 AM »

Epoman, I think you mean the Hep B shots with the course of three shots.  TB is a course of treatment with pills.   I am currently on it and am seen pretty regularly by pulmonary doctor who checks the liver levels.  The treatment can give you Hep C and liver problems so they keep on eye on it.  If the urine turns a darker color or you feel funny, they say to discontinue the pills and call the doctor.  So far so good.  It is usually a six to nine month treatment to make sure any TB cellls are killed before transplant.  I am into the 3rd or 4th month of it.  No signs of any nasty side effects. 

:-[ Oops, you are right, I was mistaken. For some reason I confused the two. Thanks.  :thumbup;

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
mcjane

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 09:33:46 PM »

Sara,

If you've ever been exposed to tuberculosis, your immune system produces antibodies to fight the disease. The antibodies stay with you so when they do a tine or skin test for TB you will always get a positive result.
It doesn't mean you have or ever had active TB, just that at one time you were exposed to it.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 06:40:53 PM »

How are things going Sara?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »