I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 07:58:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  convulsions and shaking which is uncontrollable HELP!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: convulsions and shaking which is uncontrollable HELP!  (Read 4477 times)
LovingHelper

« on: January 01, 2011, 11:41:03 AM »

My friend has been experiencing shaking & convulsions after having dialysis.

This activity happens after he is home and in bed (usually), and of course it worries him a lot.

His doctors do not have a spcific reason because his lytes are pretty good.

Has anyone experienced this type of shaking after treatment?

Any possible anwsers or remedy?

Much thanks to all~
greg10

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 12:51:57 PM »

My friend has been experiencing shaking & convulsions after having dialysis.
This activity happens after he is home and in bed (usually), and of course it worries him a lot.
His doctors do not have a spcific reason because his lytes are pretty good.
Has anyone experienced this type of shaking after treatment?
Any possible anwsers or remedy?
Much thanks to all~
Most of us are not physicians on this forum, so we can't really offer any diagnosis that is any better than your nephrologist, but I am surprised his doctor is not offering anything specific.

The symptoms of shaking and convulsion after dialysis is consistent with DDS (dialysis disequilibrium syndrome) that is associated with new dialysis patients.  Is the patient new to hemodialysis?

"DDS refers to acute symptoms developing during or immediately after hemodialysis. Early findings include headache, nausea, disorientation, restlessness, blurred vision, and asterixis. More severely affected patients progress to confusion, seizures, coma, and even death."

The solution to DDS is:
"The initial dialyses should be gentle, but repeated frequently. The aim is a gradual reduction in BUN, which will be protective but may not prevent mild symptoms such as headache and malaise. Slow urea removal can be achieved by one of the following methods: With hemodialysis, therapy can be initiated with two hours of dialysis at a relatively low blood flow rate of 150 to 250 mL/min with a small surface area dialyzer. This regimen, which is repeated daily for three or four days, is different from the standard every other day four-hour regimen at high flow rates. If the patient shows no signs of DDS, the blood flow rate can be increased by 50 mL/min per treatment (up to 300 to 400 mL/min) and the duration of dialysis can be increased in 30 minute increments (up to four or more hours, as necessary for adequate solute removal). "

http://www.kidneydoctor.com/equilib.htm

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »