I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Tracy Morgan had a kidney transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracy Morgan had a kidney transplant  (Read 5214 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: December 20, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »

Well, the Hollywood buzz has it that Tracy Morgan of "30 Rock" fame had a kidney transplant on or around 10 Dec.  He was seen at a Lakers' game this past Friday, so he seems to be doing well although he will miss some taping of the show.  I've tried to find out more info because to those of us on IHD, a transplant is a big deal, but the media seems to be awfully cavalier about it, which I think is really too bad as this would be a great chance to inform people about ESRD and transplantation.

Apparently, Morgan was diagnosed with diabetes in the 1990's but sort of ignored it.  What I'd like to know is if he was ever on dialysis and he had a live donor.  The ironic thing is that another cast member recently had a transplant after spending time on dialysis.  I happened to see him on the Dr. Oz show (the only time I had ever seen Dr. Oz's afternoon show, and they were talking about kidney failure!); his kidneys failed due to hypertension.

I am just rather disappointed that this news has been treated more like celebrity gossip than a life-changing event.  I am now certain that most people do not understand much at all about kidney disease.  I'd like to know much more about Mr. Morgan's experience.  Maybe he will talk about it in the future.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »

One thought is is that he himself does not want the news out which we would have to respet his privacy on that. As much as we would like to know because they are stars, they should have some privacy regarding their health. He may come out on his own at some point to show support if this story is true.

I he has had problems, it sure hasn't slowed him down doing a bunch of stuff.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »

It made the headlines on my Comcast news board!  He will feel so much better he will have to talk.

:bow;

KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

It made the headlines on my Comcast news board!  He will feel so much better he will have to talk.

:bow;

That's where I first saw the news, too! (As I was at work, which is a Comcast competitor.... :shy; )

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/20/tracy-morgan-kidney-transplant_n_799489.html

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:31 PM »

One thought is is that he himself does not want the news out which we would have to respet his privacy on that. As much as we would like to know because they are stars, they should have some privacy regarding their health. He may come out on his own at some point to show support if this story is true.

No, I don't really care that he is a "star".  That's not why I am interested.  On our local news tonight, the broadcaster said that Morgan had an "emergency kidney transplant".  I imagine he mispoke or someone who knows nothing about kidney disease wrote that script, but how in the world do you get an "emergency kidney transplant"?   What I'd really like to know is if he was ever on the waiting list and if he somehow jumped the queue.  Call me a cynic.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:25:20 AM »

I would have taken "emergency kidney transplant" as meaning he "got the call".  I do think that someone not knowing how it all works in our world would use "emergency kidney transplant" instead of "got the call".  I could totally see one of my friends and/or family members telling people that had I received a cadaver kidney.

Also, had he got a living donor, I would have taken "emergency" to me "much needed".  I'm pretty pessimistic, but "jumping the line" didn't even come to mind.  I heard the same things about Natalie Cole.  Hearing her story proved that she didn't "jump the line".

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:40:54 AM »

I think Chris makes a good point. This is personal health information, so perhaps he is not releasing much in the way of info and therefore all the celebrity "journalists" have to use is the fact that he had a kidney transplant.

If I were famous, I would not discuss this aspect of my life with anyone. The grief he will get if anyone catches him eating something decadent or enjoying a glass of champers just doesn't bear consideration. I am not famous but have been through that garbage. Yes, kidney transplant is not well-understood, and neither is diabetes, so he's got double the nonsense to look forward to. I hope he has some truly cutting remarks at the ready for these intrusive half-wits who are going to appoint themselves his babysitter from now forward.

Chances are they pulled the news right off the AP wire, and it was probably a statement from a publicist. A transplant could be considered an emergency if he were not responding well to dialysis. I assume he had a live donor - he certainly seems to have loads of friends. My centre said to all the little patients lined up in the conference room "Look, we could do this next week if you are really motivated." (Yeah, Chris, I know - extreme exaggeration - but with a live donor, things can go really quickly if you are with the right place.) Or, if he did not advertise the build up to the transplant, then it could be misinterpreted as something that happened overnight. When I told friends I needed a kidney transplant, I'm sure they just think I had a run of bad luck, when in fact, it had been coming on for years.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »