I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 08:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  WHY on god's green Earth would a Nephrologist block NxStage transition? Lawyer?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WHY on god's green Earth would a Nephrologist block NxStage transition? Lawyer?  (Read 2867 times)
cuteangrylittlemuppet

« on: December 06, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

:stressed;  Is it possible that there is any reason for this? I have never felt so awful until I began dialysis. Over thanksgiving break after missing two sessions, the cloud lifted and I could think clearly again. I am writing for the first time in months. I was also encouraged by the the responses on this forum reassuring me that NxStage or Home-hemo is a very different experience and thusly could possibly alleviate the symptoms I am experiencing.

So I just don't get it? Why drag your heels? is there that much money to be made off of little ol' Blue Cross? (I doubt it)
I haven't had him as a Nephrologist for long, I don't like him and I don't "trust" his opinion. No personal offense, but his center sucks balls, his staff is terrible and unprofessional and he is so... well, do know what people look like on Quaaludes? Thats how he is ALL the time. So discussing my current state doesn't mean much to him, he just wants to push me to transplant and after my first traumatizing experience with a Transplant Center I will not be put in that situation again till I have one doctor (out of the million that want a piece of me) JUST one good doctor!

He has god knows how many other in-center clients to deal with and I am just a nuisance, with all my urinating and needing to be able to work and crap :sarcasm;.

No problem, like I said he's no Mr. Personality himself so why not just TRANSFER my care ASAP? I am starting to contemplate some litigious BS. Do you know any nephrologists in the Boston/Cambridge area who do home hemo who are taking new patients? Is anyone  in a similar situation? Does anyone have the name of a good lawyer or mediator? Cause I am about to explode.
 :rant;

Diagnosed IgA Nephropathy -10/09
Pre-Dialysis
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »

Hi Cuteangrylittlemuppet,

Don’t let anyone steal your joy.  You do not have to stay with that doctor, especially, if you are very unhappy.   If you go on the DaVita@Home website, you probably can type in your zip code and find a location that have NxStage and see when is a training session available.  Someone will take you and train you as long as your insurance is willing to pay.   In the meantime, see if you can change doctors and you should be able to change centers.   Don’t let anyone tell you it’s not so.   This is your life and you only have one.   

I’m currently on NxStage (two months now) and I really enjoy being in charge of my own treatments.  Yes, it’s a lot of work but it is very much worth the benefits.  You will feel 10 times better as in-center and you will have fewer problems because you’re doing it 6 times a week.   

Hope everything works out for you; keep me posted.   

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 12:02:35 PM »

Yes  you can also go to Nxstage web site and find clinics who do nxstage.....  dont stay with a doctor you dont like..... shop around...... Nxstage is alot of work..... but  its worth every hour..... I have been on for over 6 months and do everything myself....and well    I feel ALOT better than incenter.....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 07:24:25 PM »

It may just be ignorance or a refusal to try anything new.  My doc took an awfully lot of convincing to start a NxStage program at my center.  The patients wanted it, as well as the nurses and social workers.  We eventually talked him into it, and he was happy with the results, but it was an uphill battle.  I think part of that was that it means learning something new.  The scrips are written differently for the treatments on NxStage, and it's a whole new system to learn, and some docs will simply refuse to adopt a new technique if it means they might actually have to admit that they DON'T KNOW all the answers.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »