I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:32:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Fundraiser planned for man in need of transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fundraiser planned for man in need of transplant  (Read 1239 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: December 03, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »

Fundraiser planned for man in need of transplant
By ASHLEN DOMINGUEZ
2010-12-02 16:25:42
failure-three-almost-once

LA HABRA — After suffering from diabetes for more than half of his life, Frank Maldonado is badly in need of a kidney transplant.

At 38, he worries about his health, his family, and whether they'll be able to afford the medical bills that will quickly pile up.

A kidney transplant costs roughly $250,000 and even with insurance Maldonado is left paying 20 percent of the cost. Although this procedure is vital to his life, it is one he cannot afford. The cost prompted Maldonado to look for help.

Leiann Ortega, of La Habra Heights, is a good friend of his and has stepped forward to do just that.

Working with the National Foundation for Transplants, she has organized a bake sale that will help fund the cost of Maldonado's surgery.

Ortega, whose father-in-law is on the list for a kidney transplant, is familiar with the struggles of a transplant patient. When Maldonado first confided in her about his situation, she was more than ready to help.

"The support is here, and I know the people that are here are very giving, loving people. I knew that they would help Frank," she said. Already many have stepped forward to help provide treats, as well as their services.

Maldonado once was an active father and husband who worked as a teacher's aide, but now he spends many of his days tired and weak. The Hesperia resident began to have kidney failure almost three years ago and was forced to get on dialysis in order to survive.

Soon after, his doctor put him on disability. Unable to provide for his wife and son, Maldonado says he feels helpless. His wife, Irene, works to support their family but they still struggle to make ends meet.

"I wish I could help her out," he said. "I get really down about that but there's not much I can do."

Even after the initial transplant surgery, Maldonado will need medical treatment. For the rest of his life he will be on anti-rejection medications that are needed for the transplant to work correctly. These medications can cost as much as $5,000 per month.

For now, Maldonado is focusing on getting the kidney transplant and improving his health.

"It brings me down sometimes but things are looking up with this fundraiser" said Maldonado.

The bake sale, the first fundraiser organized to help Maldonado, will take place on Sunday, Dec. 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Magnolia's Country Store. It is located at 310 E. Whittier Blvd., in La Habra. Volunteers will sell treats from a chocolate shop, three different bakeries, and homemade goods. Professional massages will also be available with donations.

If you would like to make a donation towards Frank Maldonado, visit www.transplants.org and search for his name under "patients we help."

You can also mail donations to NFT California Kidney Fund, 5350 Poplar Ave., Suite 430, Memphis, TN 38119. Please include "in honor of Frank Maldonado" in the subject line.

For more information contact Leiann Ortega at 562-449-7646 or Irene Maldonado at 760-956-3951.

Contact the writer: dominguez.ashlen@gmail.com

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »