I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 01:25:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can we talk about "coughing"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can we talk about "coughing"  (Read 5989 times)
billybags
Elite Member

« on: November 21, 2010, 03:40:08 AM »

For the last year my hubby who is on APD has had this horrible dry cough. Doc has sounded the chest, normal stuff, been for two x-rays, nothing. It is getting worse so I trawled his medicines last night and the only one I came up with is his statin one. That has all the symptoms, persistent cough legs and muscles feeling achey and tired. He has tried going with out the statin for a month (with the nephs approval ) I could not believe how his cholesterol went up with not taking it.He is back on it. I still believe this pill is causing his coughs and aches. Any ideas.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »

Yup statins sure do make you cough ..ahem cough , cough ! Luckily i havent been on mine for years , my cholesterol is great  :angel;. Also some bp tablets can make you cough ...or like me it could turn out to be COPD ? The test for that is easy if you wanted to find out.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 09:58:23 AM »

The doctor may suggest an alternative statin that may not cause the coughing. My husband had to switch to a different one for the same reason.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:00:57 AM »

Hubby taken off lisinopril for 'cough' but for you or yours, it could be something else of course.  Hubby seems to be coughing again these days with no apparant fluid on lungs (did tests) so not sure..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 06:20:56 AM »

Its definitely a pain in the bum, hubby saw his local GP to-day and she said he was on the best statin and it would not be them, but it could be caused by reflux and OK he has started suffering with indigestion a bit lately ( it is not my food) so now we have  another pill to take called Lansoprazole. He is still coughing.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:47:05 AM »

Ive been on Omeprazole for years (its better than lansaprazole!) yes it does help with reflux ..has he got any reflux?  but its mostly to protect from ulcers. I will still put money on it that its the statin ..sod what that doc says. .....I wasnt going to mention your cooking , i was gonna say are you chain smoking in his face    :rofl;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:44:14 AM »

What is statin? Is that a UK drug? I personally have never heard of it.

Thanks Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 11:48:31 AM »

Statins are a class of drugs used to treat high cholesterol.  Transplant meds have the frequent side effect of raising cholesterol levels, unrelated to diet or genetics.  Statins can also cause issues with the liver and the muscles (cramping, weakness and pain) so regular blood work to monitor these liver enzymes are very important.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
calypso

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »

The only thing I can suggest is Coenzyme Q10 supplements. It prevents the muscle aches and pains from high dose statin use. I don't know if it will help with the cough, but it's worth a try! Also marketed to help your heart's health.

You can find it just about anywhere they sell supplements (pharmacy, supermarket, etc.) labels as Co Q-10. It may lower your blood pressure a bit so check with your doctor and be careful if BP is running low.

Some info on it, just a random site on a google search. Do your own search and find out as much as you can before taking anything including supplements and don't forget to tell your D clinic and doc that you are taking it or considering taking it.
http://www.natural-remedies-review.com/coenzyme-q10.html

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 06:23:58 PM »

wow, i was just today talking to another D patient about the C q10.. Im really happy to read this here and will suggest to dr first.  I kinda hate to because most are not all that 'into' more natural ways, but hoping to give it a go.. thanks!

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
M3Riddler

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 07:07:24 PM »

For the last year my hubby who is on APD has had this horrible dry cough. Doc has sounded the chest, normal stuff, been for two x-rays, nothing. It is getting worse so I trawled his medicines last night and the only one I came up with is his statin one. That has all the symptoms, persistent cough legs and muscles feeling achey and tired. He has tried going with out the statin for a month (with the nephs approval ) I could not believe how his cholesterol went up with not taking it.He is back on it. I still believe this pill is causing his coughs and aches. Any ideas.

Dry couphing can be normal for those on CAPD.  Reason is that the fluid you are carrying around is putting pressure on the diaphram etc... thus causing a dry couph. I was on PD for 12 years and experienced this. Sime times would be worse than others and other times I would not have it at all.
If this is not normal to you, I would call your physician to be on the safe side...

///M3R
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:09:25 PM by M3Riddler » Logged

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 03:12:58 AM »

Billybags Does your husband take any of the ace inhibiter group of drugs like Enalapril or Ramopril. Anything which ends in 'pril'. The most common side effect with these drugs is a dry cough.

Ken
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:59 AM »

KS. I hope he has not got smokers cough, he dose not smoke but I do.   I think you are right about the Statin (cholesterol tablet) the doc wont hear about it, she says it is not that. I still say it is, but am I a doctor? Ken he is not on any ace inhibitors so that is out. Still up in the air.
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 03:02:51 AM »

I take statins so when I saw my doctor this week I mentioned what BillyBags said about a dry cough and he thought a while and said it was a really unlikely event. Then he gave me a check up and said my cough was caused by fluid collecting at the bottom of my lungs and some people collected it there rather than round their ankles.
I thought that reasonable because my dry cough wasn't accompanied by any cold or flu symptoms, in fact I felt fine. So next session I increased my fluid offtake and my IW came down by .4 kg without any trouble. 
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »

Thanks for that Bruno, hubby's cough is not so bad now. Could it be the FLUX tablets. We will have to see they run out soon.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »

Oh yeah, my husband has been a couple different medications that made him cough, cough, cough. A dry cough. That kind of cough can also be a symtom of a heart condition too.It's all so crazzzyy... Thinking of you both and hoping you can get the cough under control soon.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:52:19 PM »

So glad I read this thread. I have had a dry cough for 2 months now, and all of these suggestions are helpful.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:49 AM »

Thanks Tex, he has got a heart problem and I did read it could be some thing to do with it, you try telling the nurse or doc.
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »

funny I see this today as Otto was getting ready to go to Dialysis and I noticed he has a dry cough, asked him if he's coming down with something and he says he always coughs for awhile after he brushes his teeth in the am????? Anyone else have this?????

Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 02:52:08 AM »

Just to keep you up to date, I increased my fluid off take, got a new and lower IW and my dry cough has gone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »