I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 03:17:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  ugh, when it rains it pours...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ugh, when it rains it pours...  (Read 9669 times)
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 02:19:51 PM »

Great news, Calypso...

I'm so pleased that this went pretty well for you... I was thinking about you today, and wondering what was happening....

My mum's fistula never matured, and needling was a nightmare.. She's on PD now...

Keep fighting the good fight...

May God bless and protect you!....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
calypso

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »

Great news, Calypso...

I'm so pleased that this went pretty well for you... I was thinking about you today, and wondering what was happening....

My mum's fistula never matured, and needling was a nightmare.. She's on PD now...

Darth...

Thank you Darth! Only thing I don't understand is why would they stick a fistula that hadn't matured yet?

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 07:21:10 PM »

Thanks for the detailed description, Calypso. That's one fewer things I have to worry about.

And I'm delighted to hear that your fistula was recovered.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 03:06:29 AM »

I've been told to go straight to emergency if my fistula blows because there is often the chance they can fix it straight away. I'm supposed to tell emergency the problem and ask that they contact my surgeon's registrar. But all this is possible because I live 5 minutes away from mt centre and hospital.
In Calypso's situation I'd be doing exactly what he is doing.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2010, 04:29:18 AM »

Wow Calypso, that's great news, and what a cracking post you wrote describing it all.
 :beer1;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
calypso

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »

Thanks everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving to those here that celebrate it.

So I was thinking about this stuff today on D.

My blood pressure has on hemo always gone down and then up again throughout treatment.

Sometimes it starts out at say 150/98 then down to 131/86 then back up to 150/92 or some such. The numbers are always different but the trend is always the same, down, then back up again. For example sometimes I drop very low (for me) like last sat, to 105/50 or whatever it was.

Sometimes my bp has been higher at the end of D than at the start. My UF is always positive though. I always come off with less fluid than going in.

I've always wondered how the bp could be higher with less fluid in the system. I think I now understand the mechanism. I used to think maybe the machine was filtering the bp meds out of the bloodstream or that the bp meds just wore off, or both. I no longer think that is the case.

I think the body senses low blood pressure, or low blood volume to the brain and counteracts that by constricting the blood vessels to get more blood to the brain. That would explain why the low blood pressure goes high after D for me, and why even though my bp had returned to normal after D that fateful day on sat, my blood vessels constricted enough to cause clotting off.

Course there was the subsequent dehydration from getting sick, and that doesn't help matters as dehydration may make clotting more likely. But I think pulling enough fluid to go dizzy is probably not a good idea at least for me. Sure it will get me closer to dry weight but it's not worth the potential loss of a fistula that is still maturing.

So what do you all think? Is that how vasoconstriction /dilation mechanism works or am I off base? I realize other factors affect this such as temperature. Just wanted to know what you think of this theory of mine? I don't have any formal education in medicine or anatomy so I'm just guessing/grasping at straws.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »

Great news, Calypso...

Darth...

Thank you Darth! Only thing I don't understand is why would they stick a fistula that hadn't matured yet?

The reason is that two PermaCaths had bitten the dust... One through infection, the second one, only one side of worked... Oh and it's NEVER matured...

Again, great that it's getting better for you...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »

I was so happy to read of your success!!  Amazing things CAN happen.  Im really glad it did for you  :yahoo;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
calypso

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 07:31:33 AM »

Thank You! :bandance;

ODAT

Nala - Mom's Cat

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 08:05:19 AM »

:waving;

Glad to hear your fistula was fixed! If low blood pressure did cause fistulas to clot, then my mom would have lost hers over a dozen times! Unfortunately, her bp drops low quite often. I was at the center last week - mom was sleeping so I just sat there. Her bp was down to 91/54 - I've seen it as low as 89/50, and they woke her up to ask her how she was feeling. She said fine. But I really wanted to say to them, she feels fine because she can't move, but she'd probably feel faint if she had to stand up. I know that bp drops doing dialysis and that they stop the run for a bit (they actually stopped mom's for 15 minutes that day) and if it still isn't good, give you saline.

As is your sort of mind, so is your sort of search: you will find what you desire.
calypso

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »

:waving;

Glad to hear your fistula was fixed! If low blood pressure did cause fistulas to clot, then my mom would have lost hers over a dozen times! Unfortunately, her bp drops low quite often. I was at the center last week - mom was sleeping so I just sat there. Her bp was down to 91/54 - I've seen it as low as 89/50, and they woke her up to ask her how she was feeling. She said fine. But I really wanted to say to them, she feels fine because she can't move, but she'd probably feel faint if she had to stand up. I know that bp drops doing dialysis and that they stop the run for a bit (they actually stopped mom's for 15 minutes that day) and if it still isn't good, give you saline.

Thanks :)  Well yes I mentioned in an earlier post that some in my D clinic have pressures much lower than mine and seem to do fine, but their fistulas are already developed, whereas mine is still not mature yet. Also while on D they are on heparin. I may have lost it when I got home and got even more dehydrated from the illness. I was so dehydrated after vomiting that I started to sweat profusely and felt dizzy like I was about to pass out. I stayed conscious though. Mind over matter ;) Then i went straight to the ER because I couldn't replenish fluids myself.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »

when I go to the er over a non working access they will ccall my vascular group. Keep us posted on what they tell you.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

Hey Calypso, your posts are great and help me a lot, so thanks. Here's my take: I think your BP goes down because you are moving blood out of your body. This is why doctors years ago used leechs and not so long ago blood letting..to reduce blood pressure.
I think your blood pressure returns to normal at the end of a session because you put the blood back into your system, plus in your case if I remember rightly plenty of saline.
As I understand it the purpose of saline is to raise your blood pressure by getting some salt into your system.
I think the problem with too much fluid being taken off is often dehydration which can make even normal people very crook and which includes low BP as a symptom.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »