I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Laying my Moms dog to rest today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laying my Moms dog to rest today  (Read 3411 times)
Sluff
Member for Life

« on: December 22, 2006, 06:13:16 AM »

A very tough day today for me. A lot of emotions. My Mom passed away 2 years ago and I promised her I would take care of her baby. A poodle named Buffy.  Well it's just her time and I have to do what I have to do. For some reason this time just feels a little harder than past times when this had to be done with other pets.  I guess you never get used to it. I know I'm doing the right thing but it is hard. Buffy is 16 years old and has had a good life.

:'(
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »

Sorry Sluff. This is tough and it probably feels like losing the last connection with your Mom.  Sweet little Buffy will be with your Mom now.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 09:10:19 AM »

Oh sad news. So sorry.
K

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 10:11:23 AM »

Sluff, i know this may sound funny but CELEBRATE my friend,  your moms beloved dog will be with her once again and this time for all eternity.  :clap;  I remember a story about peoples pets that have passed being in a place called Strawberry Bridge or something, i am going to have to look that up, it was very comforting to read, i'll look into that.  God Bless you for who you are and all that you do my friend... :cuddle;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 10:19:42 AM »

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 10:40:06 AM »

It's the "Rainbow Bridge", but I couldn't read it until over a year after my Missy died, and I still tear up every time I read it!!

Sluff, I am so sorry.  I cannot imagine how hard that is for you.

When My father's sister died, no one wanted Sophie, her longhaired dachshund.  I brought her back to SC from FL and it was wonderful to have her here.  Her first winter and snow were soooo funny -- that low to ground belly and snow were a shock for her, but she learned to use the ramp instead of the steps so it didn't drag. ;D  When Sophie died from pancreatic cancer it was like losing my Aunt again. :'(

It has to be so much harder for you, so my thoughts and prayers are with you.  :cuddle;  But know that she has gone to a much better place too.  

I don't remember where I read this but I like it very much.  "I know there are dogs in Heaven because if there were no dogs, it wouldn't be Heaven."

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
nextnoel

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 11:52:33 AM »

Oh, Sluff, I'm so sorry you're having such heartache, especially at this time of year.  But the last kind thing you can do for an animal friend is to put an end to its suffering - the ultimate loving act.  And I think it's perfectly appropriate that it never gets any easier to do that - saying goodbye to a wonderful friend has to hurt, even when it's the only good decision that can be made. 

This has to be especially awful because Buffy was your mom's, but you can be proud that you kept your promise to your mom, and I'm sure Buffy has benefitted from your love and care, especially when she lost your mom.  And now they'll be together.

Thinking of you, and Buffy, and your mom, and wishing you all peace.

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 01:16:26 PM »

Thanks everyone for the caring thoughts and the inspiration to accept this. :thx;

I know Buffy is running around and looking for her real owners now, and what a joyous reunion it will be. :thx;
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 09:57:30 PM »

Sorry to hear about this sluff, hope you are doing ok.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 11:26:44 PM »

I'm Sorry to hear about your mums dog.  :( Atleast Puffy is not in pain anymore. 
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 01:02:28 AM »

Jbeany, thank you for that, i really needed to hear that, although it took me forever to read through it cuz i kept having to wipe my eyes,  that i so comforting, i cant wait to see all my pets again, oh wait, well, ok, i CAN wait (just in case the Big Guy upstairs is reading this) ;) :angel;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006, 04:42:37 AM »

I do understand what you are going through.  Our dog Capree died earlier this year and my daughter, especially, was shattered.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 05:03:05 PM »

Sluff, I'm so sorry about your mom's dog.  Allow yourself time to remember the good times and grieve.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »

Sluff, I know how it feels to have to lose a dog.  We had to let ours of 14 years go a few years ago.  If there is a heaven I know that the dogs are there!  I know mine had to have a soul of some kind!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 02:57:55 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:22 PM »

Oh I am sorry Sluff.
Dogs are such good friends and this one has connections to your Mom
so it would be even more sorowful.
I feel for you.  Reminds me of when we had to put down our 16 yr old dog.
It was a sad time.
Thinking about you.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
sugapea

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2006, 04:36:29 AM »

I'm sorry Sluff, I lost my Lucus in March. you gave her a great life I'm sure and did your mom proud.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »

Thanks everyone for the kind words. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »