I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:33:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Newbie on PD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie on PD  (Read 1585 times)
Engineer

« on: November 14, 2010, 07:12:05 PM »

:)Hi, all.  I've been retired a while, and turned 79 a couple of months ago.  Kidneys gave out on me starting about 6 years ago, and I have just completed my first year on PD.  Yes, I hate dialysis, it takes up a large portion of the day. and it makes travel both limited and difficult.  But I can't be grateful enough for it.  But for being tied to a machine every night, I would not be here with the love of my life these past 51 years. 

In my prior life, before having plumbing added, I used to be an engineer, interested in music, skiing, scuba, shooting, politics (conservative), photography, flying, plus lesser interests.  Most of those interests are behind me, victims of time and gravity.  I still enjoy listening to music, and and most of all, spending time with my wife.

This morning, I found some blood in the drain bag, and thought I'd google the problem.  That's how I surfed into this forum.  Here I saw confirmation of my understanding that this was probably not a big deal.  I also found thoughtful replies to other concerns, making it clear that this was a very helpful site for a PDer.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:07:18 AM »

Hi Engineer and welcome to IHD.  At least with your background you know how to and understand how to fix the machine (cycler)  You could probably fix HD machines too.  Ugggh!  I'm so glad you found us.  It sounds like you have a great support system.

I welcome a fellow Conservative anytime on here!   :cheer:

Rerun, Moderator       :welcomesign;   :angel;
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:09:26 AM by Rerun » Logged

peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:35:34 AM »

Welcome to the group, Engineer.  I've been on PD 7 years and twice had blood in the drain bag.  The first time I went to emergency and all they said was that my catheter had probably scraped my insides.  The second time I didn't even bother to report it.  Yes, this is a great place for information and friends.  Glad you joined!
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »

:welcomesign; Engineer. Loved 'in my prior life, before having plumbing added'  :rofl; I hope you don't mind if I borrow that expression.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 12:43:17 AM »

Hi Engineer, and    :welcomesign;  to IHD. I am glad you are here for a selfish reason. Now, you are the oldest one in this forum, instead of me, LOL!!!Seriously tho, welcome and we are glad you joined us.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »