I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Exactly What Can I Do when My Fistula Is Installed?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exactly What Can I Do when My Fistula Is Installed?  (Read 7218 times)
GraphicBass

« on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:06 PM »

I started dialysis less than a month ago, and we're using my permacath right now, and probably will be for another few months.

Since dialysis takes up so much of the work day, I'd like to be able to use a laptop to continue working during the sessions. In fact, since I am self-employed (we're a publisher, but I do most of the design and production work), I NEED to keep working to keep my income up, projects going out, money coming in and insurance paid!

But once my fistula is in place and in use, exactly how much range of motion will I have with that are (left upper) while in a dialysis session? I've read some comments on the forum about needles slipping out with too much movement and such. It's hard to tell at my center as most everyone else sleeps or watches television.

I don't need much movement, as my work is "mouse-heavy", but some left hand typing is unavoidable.

I know I'll find out eventually, but I do like to worry in advance, so any guidance is appreciated.

gary
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 02:43:43 PM »

I had a left upper and did all kinds of things on D.  I typed on a laptop, sewed and made jewelry, and when I was on home hemo and had more room to stretch out supplies, sculpted figures out of clay, which involved running clay through a hand cranked machine similar to a pasta maker.  I did have occasional days with bad needle positions.  The insertion points tend to ooze blood when you are moving more.  If it was bad, I'd just stop wiggling and read a book.  Most of the time, though, I could do quite a bit.

I made these on D - if I can manage them, you should be fine with a little left-handed typing!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pam

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 05:45:48 PM »

My fistula is in my upper left arm. They use so much tape. I can't see the needles slipping out. At first i tried using my laptop but it was too big and hard to handle. I bought a netbook just for D. It is Small and works just fine. I have enough movement so it is not a problem to get it out of the case or put it away. It has a mouse but I have never used it. Since my start time is 6:30 am I sleep alot.
GraphicBass

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 05:50:41 AM »

Thanks very much for the info; now I can stop worrying! And I'll be able to meet my deadlines! Yay!

My laptop is a little large — a 17" MacBook Pro, which I need for the graphics work I do (large screen make work easier). I intend to buy a padded laptop table to ease the weight, or make a board that will stretch across both arms of the chair. I use a wireless mouse with it, since I hate trackpads, so at least there's not a wire hanging things up.

gary
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »

Every time I am on D I have my netbook and I type away with both hands on this site! My fistula is in the upper left hand side. I just type away...you'll be fine. :)

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

my first fistula was in my right wrist. i used to crochet while on. since i hold the hook in my right hand it involved a lot of twisting and turning. it worked out just fine. never had any problems.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 06:10:06 PM »

I use a netbook at d. I almost never type with my left hand where I have an upper arm fistula. Some of the older machines allow more movement but mine is very sensitive. I don't type much as one hand or one finger typing is very tiring for me.
Your wise to make adjustments to make it easier for you.
Good Luck

WMoriarty
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »

My fistula is also upper left side, but its so close to the bend of my arm that i cannot bend my arm through the whole 4 hours, without infultrating. I can do alot one handed though, it just takes practice!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 12:11:05 AM »

My fistula is also upper left side, but its so close to the bend of my arm that i cannot bend my arm through the whole 4 hours, without infultrating. I can do alot one handed though, it just takes practice!

I haven't started D yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to encounter this problem.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Gandalf

"Character is Destiny" Heraclitus

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:40 AM »

Like Pam, I found the laptop a little too cumbersome, and now have a smaller Netbook which I use.  You will find that your mind/body quickly accommodates the restricted movement imposed by the needles and makes provision, without you even being aware of it.  My fistula is in my left upper arm, and I found the needles are pretty stable once inserted.  The only issues have arisen when I have dropped documents, and tried to retrieve them off the floor.... NOT GOOD!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »