I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 06:20:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Laying the Line
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Laying the Line  (Read 3066 times)
zendadachick

« on: October 29, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »

A little background on me: I am a college student helping out my aunt the first month of her dialysis.  She is 75.  This is our 2nd week on CAPD.

Today was when my aunt and I agreed that she will do her entire dialysis by herself with me watching her.

When we first started she took her own blood pressure, weighed herself, and recorded it in her flow sheet.

She then heated up her solution bag. She then gave the bag to me and said could you do it because I don't feel well. I said, "No, you need to learn to do it yourself and if I keep doing it the longer it is for you to learn it." She kept begging making moaning sounds and excuses saying that her back hurts (the reason why her back hurts is because she lays down all day and night in bed watching tv).

So we sat there and she did nothing. I asked her why does she not want to do her own dialysis and she said she didn't feel well. That's all she kept saying. So I called the nurse and told her symptoms and the nurse said she's fine but she needs to learn to do it herself.

I told my aunt, "It's up to you. It's your dialysis and if you don't do it, then that's your choice. If you don't start doing it yourself today, I will call the clinic and tell them you are not a good candidate for home dialysis and switch to hemodialysis in hospital."

She still didn't want to do it, so we skipped one of her exchanges which is fine but I guess if she doesn't want to do the next exchange I will have to do it.

She's stubborn and I feel like I'm wasting my time helping her, I was supposed to help her get on her feet not enable her.

In the meantime, my cousin is still talking with the social worker. :/

Anyone have ideas on how to coerce her to do her dialysis on her own or do you think she is a lost cause?
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

Welcome to IHD.

Sounds and seems to me like she would be better off doing PD with the machine.  Only one set up per day and she can do it while she is sleeping (or watching tv).  I skipped doing manuel exchanges and went right to the cycler for various reasons.

Good luck.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
zendadachick

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »

Thanks for your response. 

I don't know if switching to the cycler will make her do it herself.  She doesn't want to seem to want to do anything for herself (not even light housework, cooking, etc).  She wants to lay back and have everyone else do everything for her.  It's a habit of hers, even before she went on dialysis. She always says she doesn't feel well but when we go out shopping, or go out somewhere she suddenly feels well.  It seems like she's using the 'not feeling well' as an excuse not to do the things she doesn't want to do.

greg10

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »

Thanks for your response. 

I don't know if switching to the cycler will make her do it herself.  She doesn't want to seem to want to do anything for herself (not even light housework, cooking, etc).  She wants to lay back and have everyone else do everything for her.  It's a habit of hers, even before she went on dialysis. She always says she doesn't feel well but when we go out shopping, or go out somewhere she suddenly feels well.  It seems like she's using the 'not feeling well' as an excuse not to do the things she doesn't want to do.
Some of those behavior you described are symptoms of chronic kidney disease.  Age is also a factor.  She may be better off doing in center dialysis for a while, at least till she gets better.  Please consult a good nephrologist.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Lovebelle

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »

I am very new to all this myself, but perhaps she is just depressed. People tend to lack motivatation to do things for themselves when they are feeling down or discouraged. I know you are trying to talk to her and she just deflects and says she isnt feeling well. Perhaps someone should assess whether she wants this treatment or not. Either way I admire you for what you are doing for your Aunt and taking care of her.  :2thumbsup; to you!!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:15:57 AM »

Any signs at all of dementia? Maybe she cant remember how to do it from one time to the next. Or, by the way you are describing her, maybe she seriously does not want to do anything for herself EVER?

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »

A few needles at hemodialysis may make her change her mind quickly.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »

Luv, I'm 75 and I do it myself without help and I think you have a real problem. Your Aunt should be in a centre in my humble opinion. I don't mind a bit of help but that's means a nice cuppa once I'm on. Sometimes a bit of help coming off (pressing one of the sites)is welcome but I don't mind if people don't want to do that.
You HAVE to do for yourself  if you are on home dialysis. You are right to refuse...if you were to be a helper you would need some training.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »