I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 08:21:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  my story
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: my story  (Read 2058 times)
kimi_g89

« on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:28 PM »

My name is Kimi, I am 21 years old and I am new to dialysis. Since I was 12 I knew about my kidney problems, but when I was 18 I quit going to the doctor cuz I believed that if I didn't think about it then it didn't exist. Which was completely stupid I know now. A week after my 21st birthday I got hospitalized with pnemonia and kidney failure. I had a catherter placed in my chest to do dialysis, which I hate because it makes it hard to shower. I was hoping to get a fistula put in, but I am on a blood thinner so I can't get the procedure done till I'm off it. A week after I got out of the hospital for my pnemonia, I ended back up in there cuz I have blood clots in my lungs also. I just want to get this catherter out of my chest and be able to do everything I used to. This is a hard thing to get used to, but so far I've been doing ok with the support and love of family and friends. I am glad to have found this site tho, It'll be nice having people to talk and relate to!

Kimi
Hazmat35

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 12:12:17 PM »

:welcomesign;

This is a great website where you can get a lot of information and compassion; along with a lot of great people, all dealing with the same thing! 

So sorry to hear of your troubles. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »

Do the blood clots in your lungs mean that you will have to be on blood thinners that much longer, thus delaying having a fistula created?  That sucks.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 12:31:16 PM »

G'day Kimi and  :welcomesign;. You'll find that your questions will be answered here and that you've got a lot of new friends.

Galvo
kimi_g89

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

Thank you and I do look forward to meeting people in similar situations to talk to. I am on the blood thinner for 6 months if not longer. But I am also hoping to get a transplant in 6 months, so we'll see how it goes.

Kimi
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »

Oh, well, having the real possibility of a transplant in 6 months is a real game changer!  That would be wonderful!!  Maybe that will help you cope with the present day obstacles.  If you know you will have to put up with this stuff for a finite period of time, it makes it all easier, I'm sure.  Still, I know this is not easy NOW.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »

Welcome Kimi!! What a tender young age to have to deal with this crap (I can use that word as I currently have a plumber ripping apart my toilet  :rofl;) - I'm sorry you're having a few problems. I think your denial is quite natural and I don't think anyone would blame you for that. Sometimes I wish I could just not think about it and it might all go away. I'd much rather think about girls in bikinis !!  :rofl;

Seriously it's great to have you with us - many of us can relate to the sorts of thngs you're going through, and will go through, so hopefully we can all help eachother!

:welcomesign;

RichardMEL, Moderator

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »

:welcomesign; Kimi. 

My Blokey (husband) is on warfarin and had a fistula made a couple of months ago.  I assume though that they created the fistula knowing he was going to have to stay on blood thinners for life (like you, he had pneumonia followed immediately by pulmonary embolisms), whereas in your case if there's the possibility of you not being on them for long it's in your best interests to wait?

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
kimi_g89

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:08:03 PM »

I am not sure what the plan is yet, but I am on the same one and I too have pulmonaray embolisms, well thats what they told me in the hospital. They said they might hospitalize me in 3 months and do the fistula, but I'd have to be taken off the warifin and put on a heprin drip which would be like a 2 week process, if not longer. So we'll see what my doctor decides to do.

Kimi
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »

Good luck, Kimi...we are all barracking for you.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »

ouch. my mother had a poulmanary embolism.. that is not fun. My best wishes to you on getting that all sorted out!!!!

Such a lovely smile needs to keep being seen!!!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »