I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:23:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I still can't get used to Dialysis
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I still can't get used to Dialysis  (Read 16412 times)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2010, 05:50:07 AM »

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;   Hugs Des

I also have no words of wisdom as I have never had to deal with a unit. But I do want you to know that we are here, as your friends to try and support you through this. 
We don't have NxStage in Australia yet either but we do have home Haemo. As you know I was able to do PD which was home based. Since you have had one PKD kidney out is PD a possibility?
In regards to the nephrectomy, you had a rough time! I think that is out of the ordinary and please don't let that experience deter you from trying for a transplant. My native PKD nephrectomy was straight forward and without complications. Yes it was a large slice under my ribs (no removing that monster laparoscopically) and yes it hurt, but after a few weeks I was feeling better. I still get twinges and a pulling feeling, but boy do I have some room in there now!! A transplant will be the same..... shitty for a few weeks but slowly you will feel better. It is worth the risk.

It's hard being a mum and a dialysis patient. That I really understand! I struggled, and still do, with all that a "normal" mum can do Verses a "dialysis" mum. You just have to do what you can physically and emotionally squeeze in. Kids are amazing in what they adapt to.

"Strength is taking a look at where you are and, from there, getting to where you want to be, no matter how hard it is or how long it takes to get there." I know you have the courage to get past the barriers.    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2010, 06:18:17 AM »

:rofl; So pecker means the same there as it does here !  :rofl;

Yes, That is why this is SO funny,,,,,, I really enjoyed the laugh.

Hehehehheeh :rofl;

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2010, 06:21:00 AM »

Wattle,

It has been lovely to here from you......  :flower; I am really trying my hardest to just get on with it.... mostly it works but somedays are just harder than others.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2010, 08:53:10 PM »

I'm absolutely mortified...it means 'keep your chin up'...not what some of you think! Sorry, Des.
sumodidit

gotta do it!!

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2010, 10:36:35 PM »

To Des and everyone, I have read your post and scanned through the others, I myself have been on dialysis for 3 years this past October. Everyday that I get up for treatment the first thing that goes through my mind is that I got to get ready for dialysis. The next thing I'll ask myself is why? Afterwards I'll get ready and head on out to treatment. I know its hard and reading everyones post makes me happy to know that I am not alone in regards that we all suffer mentally. What makes me happy is that being a member I see the support from one to another. Going through dialysis puts a big impact on our lives. I actually have spent more time here talking about my situation than talking about it to person to person without getting a crazy response. Maybe its because we are all on common ground here in this forum. I don't know.....what I do know is that every member here welcomes all of its new members with open arms and are ready to show support, compassion, and advice!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »

It has been twelve years and I would still rather go shopping than go to dialysis. I still flinch at needles and have had to talk myself through remaining calm while thy use the new fistula area these last two weeks.  I have wanted to run and hide, but I tell myself I am a big girl and can do this again and again and again and again......

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »

I had another dreadful dialysis  session on friday night..

I clotted up so badly that when they removed the needle from my arm they "pulled" and "Pullled" to get the remaining clot out of my fistula. It was a very long stringlike red jelly coming out of my fistula.  :puke;

Now this is still ok..... what freaked me out was that 3 staff members were trying to force the machine to work for at least a half an hour before that, none of them realised that I was clotting. So.... They were pushing a very large clot into my arteries..... :stressed; I hate being so helpless.

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »

Des, just wanted to say how awful!!!! Hope things improve... and quickly

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:53 AM »

they "pulled" and "Pullled" to get the remaining clot out of my fistula. It was a very long stringlike red jelly coming out of my fistula.  :puke;
Yuk! I've had an inch long clot pulled out just like you describe — stringy red jelly  :puke;  :puke; Must have been awful for you  :cuddle;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »

Dialysis isn't a particularly dignified process, is it. ::)  What did they say when they finally realized you were clotting?  Any words of explanation or apology?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2010, 06:28:51 PM »

Oh goodness Des I am so sorry you are having to bare all this. I am thinking of you and believing you will pull through. When I first started D I would just cry all the time...sometimes still do when I have a bad day with my students and I am overwhelmed at work I cry and cry on the machine. I am a big baby....

take care
xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »

Hi Des....Really sorry you are having such a bad time with your dialysis.  I had a bad time in the beginning but in the last six months I have felt terrific and life is really good for me right now.  As for the "Pecker", Aussisms can be misunderstood.  Poor Bruno!  Keeping your pecker up means keeping your chin up over here.  But if it gave you a good laugh then all the better.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »

Now this is still ok..... what freaked me out was that 3 staff members were trying to force the machine to work for at least a half an hour before that, none of them realised that I was clotting. So.... They were pushing a very large clot into my arteries..... :stressed; I hate being so helpless.

:Kit n Stik;
3 Staff        Des
Members

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 05:33:25 PM »

We all hate Dialysis     thats why we are here.....  I get real tired of doing it every day.....   six days a week for 4 hours and 39 minutes every day  ... and then there is the set up time..... boy....there is got to be more to life that this...... but  this is what gives me life..... and when I cheat and dont dont my D.... after a couple of days .... I am reminded how badly it feels.....  I feel so good when I do D ......  that I think I dont need to do it.... untill I dont... 

Des.....hang in there.... we are here for you... each and every day.........

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 07:11:54 PM »

Tyefly, you do D with NxStage for 4 and a half hours six days a week?  I thought the whole idea behind NxStage was that you could do shorter sessions more frequently! 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »

MM,

They had nothing to say.... just that they thought my clotting was due to the higher HB.

I just want to say that I spent Monday night crying at dialysis again. I have been at it for 8 months now and every second of it has been filled with contempt. The process ,the staff, the beds, the time........ now that I am thinking about it it is like doing time in jail or comunity service.  :police:
. You are forced to do it
. You are in for life
. The wardens are animals
. The food is bad
. The beds are uncomfortable
. You have no say in what the keepers do or don't do
. The torture - of course how can I forget about the torture
:)   

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2010, 01:47:49 AM »

:grouphug; Des  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »

Des, has there been any word about your potential donor that you posted about earlier?  I honestly think that you should pursue transplantation as far as possible.  I would like to think that eventually you'll get used to D and that you will become more "accepting", but I really don't know if that's true.  To blithely opine that things will get better is to breezily dismiss your very real resentment of the whole thing.  I don't blame you one single bit.  When I start D and if I'm in clinic, I suspect I'll be just like you.

Can you find out if the prospect of home hemo might be available in SA any time soon?  If you could do something like NxStage, would that make it all more bearable?  I haven't gotten any answer from the company regarding plans to bring NxStage to SA, but perhaps if you were to make inquiries since you are there, perhaps you could find out more.

I'm so sorry this has been so awful for you.  I think about your situation often.  I get glum and frustrated just thinking about it. :cuddle;

rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »

Hi Des,
 Is D going any better for you? Hang in there!
xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »

Oh, Des, I feel so badly for you. I keep checking in to see if things are improving and sadly they are not. I think rsudock and I were both typing the same thing at the same time - Hang in there!!!!

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
rsudock
Elite Member

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2010, 05:52:46 PM »

Des I saw on another post that now you have kidney stones because of your binders....oh goodness! hang in there!

xo,
R

1995 - AV Fistula placed
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »

Morning all.

I had a dreadfull treatment last night. I got into a serious fight with a staff member. I called the regional  unit manager.

It all started when I insisted that she attended to an alarm. She replied that it is not her patient.To which I said, so if someone is dying and it is not your patient then that is that?
She called me a "big mouth" to wich I replied : " get me off this machine then we'll see who's mouth is the biggest"     

:sir ken; :banghead; :Kit n Stik; :stressed;

ps. she is getting some warning or something

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Fistula
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2010, 11:01:59 PM »

The techs in my center are experts at ignoring alarms.  I set mine off on purpose once.  I waited for my bp cuff to inflate and flexed my arm until the alarm went off.  It took 3-4 minutes for anyone to even come by to see if I was still breathing.  Scary.
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2010, 09:28:48 AM »

While I can certainly understand that people can be depressed about the Big D - it really pains me to hear stories about staff that don't respond. I can't for the life of me understand how these people can be so unfeeling. Maybe we need a union to fight our corner.
Dialysis is never going to be fun but a caring and attentive staff can make it a lot more tolerable.
Des, I wish there were words to use that would ease your problems. I think Richard was correct when he suggested a professional. It does appear (remember I am not a professional or anything close to one) that you need to do something about what appears to be to be depression.

Hope you make some progress and soon!    :bestwishes;

WMoriarty
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2010, 05:32:30 PM »

I like my staff, however I have trained them to come to alarms.  One night it beeped for twenty minutes- I timed it.  I raised such a fuss, three people came running to see what was wrong.  Since then, they seem to come get the alarm before I alarm.

Des all I can do is send you Zen Hugs  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »