I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 06:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Initializing the PAK
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Initializing the PAK  (Read 6158 times)
lillinny

« on: October 13, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »

This may be a silly question...........  but I'm relatively new.  Got up this morning all set to make the batch and there was a message that the PAK would run out in 33 hours.  So.  It was decision time.  Couldn't decide if I should make the batch and then tonight do the PAK but wasn't sure that I could do the PAK if there was a batch in process.  So, did the PAK which means we will have to use the bags tonight and then will make the batch after that.  My question is..........  could i have made the batch and then later today initialized the PAK while the batch was in use. . .

Not sure that makes sense. . .
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »

hi lillinny, first of all welcome to the site. I must admit I haven't got a clue what you are saying. What is a batch and a pak
greg10

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »

...  My question is..........  could i have made the batch and then later today initialized the PAK while the batch was in use. . .
Not sure that makes sense. . .
Newbie here as well.  However, from what I have heard, a PAK is inactivated once the connector cable to the Control unit is unplugged.  This suggests that a SAK already connected to the PAK should also be inactivated and the probable outcome is that the SAK will be expired by the Control unit when you changed the PAK.  So you did the right thing.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
lillinny

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:38:56 AM »

Thank you!  that is good news. . . the manual didn't say but my gut. . . told me it wouldn't work.  Funny how every few months (weeks) I get blindsided by something and realize I am still clueless! 

silverhead

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »

Yes, you did the right thing, You must have missed the 72 hour warning (I missed mine quite a few times, so don't feel bad)
Sometimes we decided to use bags, sometimes we waited until the pak was done and then made a batch and went on, and sometimes just said the heck with it and took the day off........

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:24:03 PM »

yikes...........will i REALLY learn this stuff when it's my turn???? 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:03:06 PM »

Yes, you will!  Plus, they have a 24/7 help line if you need it.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lillinny

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »

Thank you all.  And it is a 'process' in learning all this!   :yahoo;  Glad I did the right thing.  By the time the PAK completed and then the batch. . . . we ended up using bags.  But feel like I have learned another hurdle in my life.  No, I didn't see the 72 hour warning. . . not sure how I missed that.

Again, thank you!
JohnJ

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 03:45:34 PM »

I've NEVER seen a PAK warning other than the one that says this is the last batch (Sac) and then the PAK will need to be changed.

And in the end. The love you take.
Is equal to the love ... you make.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »

As long as the PAK doesn't expire before you perform the conductivity test you will be able to use your entire batch of dialysate. After using your batch, you can prime a new PAK and then continue as usual.

This happened to me when my last PAK expired so I just called Tech Support to make sure.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lillinny

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »

Aha.  that is helpful info.  so I could have made the batch.  Since we have been increased form 20 to 25 liters per tx., I feel like I am making it constantly or draining it!  Too bad they don't make it so that it only makes 50 liters or else makes 75!!
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »

Good job

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »

There are 50 liter SAKS and you should ask for them if you are doing 25 liter treatments. That would save you considerable drain time at the end of your SAK. And I meant the chloramines test, not conductivity test. Oops!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:43:48 PM by willowtreewren » Logged

greg10

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »

SAK 003 is 50L
SAK 001 is 60L

The actual volume of dialysate produced is about 5% higher than stated volume.
If you are handy, you can actually mix and match Pureflow with bag dialysate, eg., starting with 20L of Pureflow and finish with 5L of bag for a total of 25L.

Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
lillinny

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »

I'm not sure I'm ready to mix and match!  It strikes terror into my heart.  But, I will check out the 50 liter bags.  Hate to waste the extra. . . . it seems to silly!
vcarmody

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »

Sounds really, really confusing to me.... so glad at our clinic we only use bags!!!

Caregiver to husband Chris, NxStage 11-2009
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

I have done the mix and match too... pretty easy......I am using all bags now cause I use 30L per treatment.....and I am pushing for 40L.......

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »

Speaking of bags vs pure flow, wouldnt it be easier when we just get started at home to 'just' use bags???And is that an option, or is that a 'per' unit decission.  I know (i think) that part of the prob is they need more storage space but if thats not an issue, it just seems easier.  (havent been trained so dont even know yet if the pureflow is an issue for me or not) I know i asked something like this before so forgive me if im being too repetitive..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »

I use all bags.....   My unit lets me so I can go in the RV or to the beach house or where ever when I want.... I like it that way.....  some days if I run short of time I run short runs.. like 25 L ... some days  I run longer....  but over all I run at least.. 180 L per week   and roughly  at least 25 hours per week...... 

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
greg10

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 05:39:49 AM »

Speaking of bags vs pure flow, wouldnt it be easier when we just get started at home to 'just' use bags???And is that an option, or is that a 'per' unit decission.  I know (i think) that part of the prob is they need more storage space but if thats not an issue, it just seems easier.  (havent been trained so dont even know yet if the pureflow is an issue for me or not) I know i asked something like this before so forgive me if im being too repetitive..
The volume and weight savings is about 20:1 in favor of SAKs, so yes, it does make a difference in shipping, storage and ultimately the patient or caretaker will have to move these supplies as well.  Pureflow is a great savings in transportation and storage costs, but what you give up is a little convenience.  With Pureflow, you have to plan ahead 2 to 3 days with your dialysis and do a little bit more work to set up the batch.  This is not necessarily a bad thing because it gives you a schedule to follow and you can anticipate any problems.  Pureflow also saves you the trouble of hanging 25 to 30 kg of weight above your shoulder, which may be difficult for some people.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:41:56 AM by greg10 » Logged

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:48:50 PM »

On the other hand, Greg, you don't need to hang those heavy 5 liter bags for each treatment!

:thumbup;

We use bags when we haven't been able to start a batch in time for a treatment, and of course when we are traveling. Otherwise, I really prefer the PureFlow. Our clinic did not support PureFlow when we started on NxStage (we were their first PureFlow couple), so we did a year of bags only before switching. The storage space was not so much of a problem for us as we stor our things in the garage, but it was a WALL of boxes each month when we were using bags. Now it all fits under a work table.

Aleta

tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

I will agree with Aleta......   I hate the storage..... I sometimes feel like a warehouse...... and packing for 10days to go somewhere.....well  its takes up the back of my Pickup......LOL

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
lillinny

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »

We just heard that we can get 60 liter Pureflow bags which is great.  Now that we are at 25 liters per tx., it will mean not having to drain the bags which takes up time as well.  Generally, I think that the pureflow is easier than hanging the bags and then having to take them down and dispose of them.  But, now that we have to make Pureflow every 2 days, I'm finding that a pain, too!  It isn't hard but soooooo time consuming. 
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:23 AM »

There is NOTHING about D that is not a pain...   We also used bags for a while after our initial training period to allow time to do the modifications (plumbing) to set up the PureFlow without lines running across the bedroom floor.  I find the PureFlow easier overall with less steps to the setup daily.  There are still times we use bags but for the most part, if they could make the PureFlow a little faster  and portable, I would never use bags at all. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »