I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2024, 01:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  My Happy Blokey
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Happy Blokey  (Read 10392 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: October 12, 2010, 08:42:37 AM »

My Blokey is a happy-chappy.

I like it when he's happy.  Then I realised that I only really post here when he's miserable, so I thought I'd post now, whilst he's happy.

When he's happy he smiles loads, and has a twinkle in his eye, and it reminds me that (despite all this kidney malarkey) I wouldn't change the life I have with him, ever.

Besides, he's spending copious amounts of money on buying me a new bathroom so I have to love him for a few more years yet.

He had an appointment with his neph last week; his potassium is still dangerously high but they're convinced it's not due to diet ... he still has a haematoma on his belly where they removed the PD catheter and they think that's the cause.  Also, his bones are eating themselves.  But the fact that he might drop down dead from deadly potassium levels/cannabilistic bones is balanced out by the fact that his work have just agreed to pay for him to educate himself by studying for a degree.  Hurrah!

OhOhOh!  Just remembered ... And this is a BIGGY ...

My needlephobic I'm never having a fistula Blokey used his fistula for the first time last week.  He's used it three times now.

Did you use the cream? I asked, thinking about the cream that folk on here mention.  Oh no, he replied.  And it was okay? I asked, slightly shocked.  Oh yes, he said.

This makes me VERY happy.

*breathes a sigh of relief that something has gone right*

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »

FANTASTIC!!!

:yahoo; :yahoo; :2thumbsup;

Even though I am jealous of your Blokey - because he has you - I am so happy this is a good time - both fistula use and that he's happy, smiling and getting you a new bathroom (ironically in a few hours I will be having new toilets put in to mine?!?!!  :rofl; My life has gone to the crapper for sure).

I think it's great to post about good things to go with the bad. It's like people find it easy to often complain about things like bad service or stuff.. but it's often hard to say a simple "thank you. that went well" or "I'm happy with that"  - I know, it should be the expected norm, but I do like to be positive and talk about those things too - and to you I say this is a great post!!!!

:2thumbsup; :2thumbsup; :yahoo;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
carol1987

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:44 AM »

:clap; :clap; :yahoo;

Diagnosed with  PKD July 2002 (no family history)
Fistula placed April 2009
Placed on Transplant list April 2009
Started HD 10/6/10
Transplanted 1/6/11 (Chain Transplant My altruistic donor was  "Becky from Chicago" , and DH Mike donated on my behalf and the chain continued...)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:24 AM »

:2thumbsup; Good news is great!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 10:01:10 AM »

:yahoo; yes things do go right, isn't it loverly

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »

Poppy,   Wonderful news.  Glad he is happy.   :yahoo;    :2thumbsup;    :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »

oh so wonderful these times  :yahoo;  I truly savor them myself and save up all the happy energy for those 'other' times  ;)  It surly makes life feel all better and im so happy your soaken it all in :-)  All the best to you  :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »

Yay for Blokey, but I want to hear about your new bathroom...you know, the really IMPORTANT stuff!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »

I loved reading this post and very happy to hear that blokey is happy too.  I'm also redoing a bathroom at the moment and am going...no, have gone... mad with the choosing and the deciding.  My bathroom is the original one from the mid forties and quite honestly I'm only redoing it because the tiles are about to disintegrate at the edges.  Cream and white are my colours with a (IMO) beautiful trim of small brick shaped pieces of polished and honed marble, amber glass tile and mother of pearl in a mosaic. 
Good luck with yours Poppylish!!!!

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »

Monrein, that sounds really beautiful! :clap;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:45 PM »

not to hijack this thread but my toilets did not go ahead :( the idiot plumber brought the wrong type of connections or something... :(

PS: YAY BLOKEY!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:43:29 PM »

How very nice to hear Poppy. Good news is always welcome.   :clap;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 05:35:46 AM »

not to hijack this thread but my toilets did not go ahead :( the idiot plumber brought the wrong type of connections or something... :(

PS: YAY BLOKEY!
Awww, bluddy plumbers!

Yay for Blokey, but I want to hear about your new bathroom...you know, the really IMPORTANT stuff!
Well, it's not going to be quite as gorgeous as monrein's by the sounds of it, but it is going to be scrummy! I've gone for a white suite, American Walnut effect unit with grey worktop, greyish flooring and big rectangular white tiles, with a very dramatic floral border/edging which I can't explain at all, so will have to post piccies when it's all done and dusted (December). I was going to have pink walls, but the flooring has the minutest flecks of green in so I've opted for green walls now. I just need to choose the shade of green, then I can go silly in the shops buying matching accessories and towels!  Blokey thinks we don't need new towels (we do have a cupboard bursting with them) but most of our towels are blue (I don't know why) and blue won't go with my green/grey/white bathroom, oh no.  He just doesn't understand because 'it's only bluddy towels'. *sigh*

The good thing is that it's going to make my hall/stairs carpet and walls very tired looking, so I expect to have that 'room' redone as well, preferably before the daffodils bloom!

:2thumbsup;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »

Since this has turned into "The Loo Renovation Thread", I had mine redone not long ago.  The room itself is very very small and has no windows; it's the only thing I don't like about my house...the two bathrooms are so small!  But we really don't need more.  Anyway, I had to find some way to tart it up to compensate for its tininess.  I love lavender, so two walls I painted that colour, and the two walls surrounding the bath/shower are tiled with ceramic tiles that look like carved stone.  They are an organic mixture of different shades of blue and lavender and deep green; the idea was to create something that looked carved out of the forest.  The bath itself is a deep Greek bath (I had never heard of this before); it is the same size deep as it is wide and long...it's a soaking tub, I guess.  I have a couple of botanical prints (of lavender!) on the walls.  The tiling on the floor matches that around the bath, although the floor tiles are larger.

Funny how threads can veer wildly off topic! 

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 08:31:34 AM »

Two bathrooms MM?  What luxury!  We have just the one bathroom (no separate loo either) and it's probably about the size of your Greek bath (but still costing a fortune to have redone.)

;D

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:22:47 AM »

Two bathrooms MM?  What luxury!  We have just the one bathroom (no separate loo either) and it's probably about the size of your Greek bath (but still costing a fortune to have redone.)

;D

When I lived in the UK, we had just the one bathroom (no separate loo), but it was a good size and it had two windows, one of them looking out over the downs.  We painted the walls a tropical blue/Caribbean color, and the tiles were white but the border tiles were in a sea motif (dolphins, fish and such in different tropical colors).  I loved it!  And we had an enormous porcelain bath that I could stretch out in.  But I do have to say it is nice not to have to share a bathroom with a man...DH has his own.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »

Just read your post. You sound so happy, you made me smile. So we do get good days its not all doom and gloom,may they continue.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »

Oh Poppy, so glad that things are going well.  And what a smile it gave me to see the thread turn into the "Loo Do". 

We built our house to have 3 bathrooms and just recently (this summer) finished the master bath "en-suite".  We have a six sided tile shower, a whirlpool tub and it's all done in Old World style.  I just love it, it's MY room.  I actually did the tile work myself.  Hubby has tried to hire me out to local contractors to do their tiling but I keep telling him when it's a labor of love, it works out better. 

Keep on smilin'. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

We built our house to have 3 bathrooms and just recently (this summer) finished the master bath "en-suite".  We have a six sided tile shower, a whirlpool tub and it's all done in Old World style.  I just love it, it's MY room.
I suspect that your master en-suite is the same size as my entire house ...

;D

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »

my loo update.... they are coming again on Monday to try again - hopefully with the right parts this time!!!

Yvonne

Yvonne

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 09:00:17 AM »

Oh Richard you made me smile, just when I was feeling so sorry for myself. I hope all goes well on Monday

2007- since January 2007 carer to my husband John who has the following, allways been a very fit man up till then.
2007 - January Renal failure
2007 - March Diagnosed with a Horseshoe kidney and bladder cancer.
2007 - June One kidney, Prostrate and Bladder removed with stage 4 cancer. Urostomy
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2010, 07:58:38 AM »

my loo update.... they are coming again on Monday to try again - hopefully with the right parts this time!!!
*fingers crossed* for Monday!

;D

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »

yeah well that was a whole lot of nothing. ARGH!

So he arrives about 10:30, comes in and has a look "oh yes I can do this" (I think yay!) he takes the lid off the cistern and says "Oh" (and my heart sinks). Oh guess what, the water valve thingywhatsit is up here, but it needs to be down here. No problem that's just an extra part. I'll call out to get it and hopefully we can still get this done today (yeah, right). So he says he will call me 15 minutes later as he leaves. I actually dozed while waiting the hour and a half for his call. yeah well the parts are on order can't get them today. have to reschedule. Sorry.

But wait, it gets better! So I get in to work and the plumbing firm call and say OK when would you like to resechedule. I say to them well what about the parts being available? They apparently weren't today, so shouldn't we wait to reschedule until the parts are there? The person agrees that that makes sense so she calls the plumber dude and reports back to me that he says "oh thy have the parts so no problem" (WELL WHY ISN'T HE BACK AT MY PLACE DOING THE BLOODY WORK IF HE HAS THE PARTS?!!)... oh no, it's all too hard. Wednesday 0730 OK for you?

:Kit n Stik;

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 08:39:33 AM »

Tsk.  We all ought to go and do those short basic plumbing courses so that we can deal with loo situations ourselves.  These companies take the proverbial far too often ... we should make a stand, with placards and whatnot.

;D

Sending *more crossed appendages* for Wednesday!

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 08:45:45 AM »

So he arrives about 10:30, comes in and has a look "oh yes I can do this" (I think yay!) ...
Did you?  Really?  Sometimes I do actually think Yay! and I also actually think LOL, which is extremely odd because I refuse to use it anywhere.  A couple of years ago I never even said Yay!, let alone thought it.  It makes me smile to think that we all think in Yays!  I imagine that when you thought Yay! you also did a little jubilation clenched fist (ever-so subtley, so the plumber couldn't see) ... I would have.

;D

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »