I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 01:18:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what would u do?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: what would u do?  (Read 3247 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: October 06, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »

If someone who set up ur machine accidentally put ur time at 3 hours, instead of ur treatment time of 4 hours, and noone noticed until you were completely disconnected at taking ur last standing blood pressure, and they asked u to say you wanted off early, so that no one would get fired, because if someone found out the machine was set up wrong they would get fired,  what would u do?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:18:16 PM »

I would probably sign the paper.  If the tech was completely incompetent and I was worried about my care then that might be another issue.  I have had techs set the machine for 3 hours before.  As much as I hated doing it I have corrected them right away and told them I was 3 1/2 hours.   
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »

I don't know. It seems so uncaring and imcompetent on their part that I wonder whether they get away with it because of bad supervision. I suppose I'd sign and keep a bloody good eye on what info. they were putting in the machine. Unfortunately authority hates whistle-blowers and can make it very hard for those who speak out.
kremizin

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:09 PM »

for me...if it's just the first time...just let it pass. if it will happen again, that's a different story. :Kit n Stik;

to err is human... :pray;
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »

I'm a soft touch, and I wouldn't want anyone to be fired.  I would tell myself that I should have noticed the error, so I'd fault myself as much as I would fault anyone else.  That's what I would do, but that doesn't mean that it would be the RIGHT thing to do.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 04:52:35 AM »

thats pretty much how i feel. I dont really understand the machine at all, and it really bothers me to even look at the machine and my blood, so i didnt notice until the bp was being taken. I had thought it seemed shorter than normal, but i had been asleep so i wasnt sure. I just said, Already?? Hmm ok...
I am pretty sure the girl who set up the machine is very new, so i understood. and ive never really had alot of trouble with this clinic, i love every one there, they are great people. On the same hand, I have enough trouble trusting, and this has caused me to be very paranoid, because not only has that happened, but a few days later someone forgot to test the machine before putting me on it, about 15 min into my treatment they had  to take me off and test. Scary stuff. I have some fear issues, and it just makes D that much harder. And im "too nice" to really say much.

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »

Gothic, I think learning more about your machine will solve several of your problems.  We usually become paranoid about things we know little about...we fear the unknown, so if you were to know more about your machine and what it does and what all the bits and pieces do, you may grow to feel more comfortable.  It is hard to trust things you don't understand, kwim?

If you know more about the machine, then you don't have to "trust" so much.  You can put more trust in yourself.  And if you see someone doing something incorrect, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "Excuse me, but I think x is supposed to happen, not y."  It's all in the tone you use.  You can be nice while correcting an error that someone has made.  And if a tech is new, I'm sure s/he would be very grateful for any guidance you could give.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »

That's happened to me before.  When I was doing 4 and a half hours, they'd sometimes put me in for 4 hours by mistake.  Sometimes they'd catch it early enough to fix it, other times not. As long as I was feeling ok, it never bothered me.  My nurses wouldn't get fired for making that kind of mistake

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »

Be careful.

Coming off early means you're noncompliant.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:00:08 PM »

Be careful.

Coming off early means you're noncompliant.

8)

He's right.  :bow;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:13:56 PM »

They do have to put in the notes what the reason for coming off early was.  Like I said, my nurses aren't going to get fired unless they kill someone.  They have a good union.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Hazmat35

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:46:44 PM »

:Kit n Stik; I would make sure that I had a "sit-down" with the Technician and the person in charge, letting them know that they could get fired, because of the large blunder.  But that you are willing to let it slide this time and only this time.  (assuming that this is the first time and it was an honest mistake). 

My 1st reaction is to blast them and get them fired, but I do not want to see anybody loose their job over an honest mistake.  Hell, I've made a few myself. 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 05:20:14 PM »

everyone makes mistakes but asking me to lie about it is something else entirely. i always have the machine turned toward me after i'm hooked up. i check to make sure everything is set right. not that i don't generally trust people, but this is my life and people do make mistakes. if the tech is so concerned that she would get fired if the mistake was discovered my concern would be she's made mistakes in the past and is on notice. setting the machine for the wrong amount of time probably won't cost anyone their life......but.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 05:45:07 PM »

My peritonitis was caused by one of the dialysis nurses who, we were told later, failed to follow procedure.  She was never reprimanded, in fact, I don't think anything was ever said to her.  I cringe whenever she looks after me, but I'm not allowed to request another nurse.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »