I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Waiting for lab results
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Waiting for lab results  (Read 4986 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:41 PM »

I just can't stand it.  I have been getting my labs done for 6 years now...every 2-3 months, go to Quest, talk to the same nice Polish lady, have blood drawn, leave behind a pee sample, then wait for a phone call from the neph's nurse to tell me that OMG such and such a number looks funky, or if there's no panicky phone call, then go to my appt and get the results a week later.  Tomorrow is lab day, and next Thursday is my appointment.  After all these years, I still get so horribly anxious.  I'll never get used to this feeling.  I never know what sort of results to expect.  I have no idea if my gfr has plummeted or my creatinine skyrocketed.  I try all sorts of things to ease my anxiety, but it is always there lurking in the background.

I don't expect anyone to have any answers; I know I am not the only one to feel this way.  I just wanted to post about it in the hopes of better dealing with it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »

one thing i LOVE aabout Kiaser is that you can check that very day you get the test done, on your own results (some results take a bit longer)  I too am a "result" checker and worrier ..for hubby.  Now, he gets his done during dialysis, and only monthly, and it drives me nuts waiting for them to get the results back..  I think im the only one there though that gives a darn.  I anxiouslly wait for reportcards for him too.  Im sorry you go through it.. At least you know someone out here truly understands..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »

oh MM I know that feeling SO well. I had it for 13 years between when I was diagnosed and when I finally started D. The quarterly (and then closer to D every month) labs and "wait" were insufferable at times. Wondering when they'd finally say "yep, you have to start now" and every time going in, anxious as hell, waiting for the doc to say "We'll leave it for another month" (the sigh of relief probably could be heard on your side of the world).... i totally am with you on that one.

Dare I say in this respect it was almost a real relief when the decision was made and that process wasn't happening anymore....

And just think, the same thing will happen for those of us who have/will have transplants, and the lab work associated with that (is it working ok? how is the creat? do I have to panic?) oh dear....  :urcrazy;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 11:56:16 PM »

Waiting is probably the worst or one of the worst things we have to go thu. Every 3 months, I go thru the same routine you do, except, I really think I would fall over dead if my nephs nurse ever called me. Now I am waiting for my angiogram appt with possible heart surgery to go along with it. Damn, it is making me physically ill. Altho I do try not to worry, I know my poor little heart is only getting 50% of the blood it needs and it is letting me know now. Sorry did not mean to take over your post, but just wanted to let you know, you are not alone. We all hate the waiting process.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »

RM, believe me, I've thought about the fact that even if I do get a transplant, my life will forever be filled with waiting for lab results.  But this sitting around and waiting for my kidneys to finally fail...well, I don't have to tell you.  There is something uniquely tragic and horrible about that.  Knowing there is just nothing you can do about it.  Just waiting.  It makes me physically ill.  If I had a transplant, at least there would be some hope.

Jean, I know you are going though a really difficult time right now.  I think about you often and about how anxious you must be feeling.  Knowing that I am "not alone" in this feeling just makes me feel worse for you.  I don't like knowing that there is anyone out there who feels this way, know what I mean?  I so hope that things will work out for you.  Please keep us informed on your situation; let us know when you get your angiogram.  I am so sorry and so angry that you have to go through this, I really am.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »

You can get your results online in the UK. See what you missed leaving the UK MM?  :laugh:

https://www.renalpatientview.org/login.jsp

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

Just click on the "results" tab. I just tried the login and it gets a hickup.

Started hemo July 2010
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:56:11 PM »

Stoday, actually, I can get my results online here, too; I signed up on the lab's website, but it requires my neph to give his authorization, and I haven't gotten around to asking him about it.  Everytime I see him, I'm so eager to get out that I don't bother asking him half the questions I have written down (I usually decide to just ask IHD members! :2thumbsup;).  But then when I think about getting the results online, for some reason I balk.  I still have to wait for the results, but I agree that the length of my agony might be decreased.  But then I think about how for the first few days after I have blood drawn, I feel relief...I usually get it done on a Friday knowing that the nurse isn't gonna be calling me on the weekend with any bad news (ok, this has happened to me only 4 or five times in 6 years, but it's something you don't forget), so I get a peaceful weekend out of the deal.

I know...I'm my own worst enemy.  The week before a neph appt is always hard for me.  That's just the way it is.

Stoday, how does it work in the UK?  Everytime any renal patient gets labs done, all results go to a central databank?  Is there a same type thing for anyone getting any sort of labwork done?

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 06:57:27 AM »

It's set up nationally by the NHS and renal units can choose to upload their results to it.

It's not universal. The NHS does not operate all NHS dialysis units; some are operated by an outside contractor for the NHS. They can choose to use the system too.

Started hemo July 2010
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »

:cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »