I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:31:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medical Breakthroughs
| | |-+  Implantable Artificial Kidney to Replace Dialysis??
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Implantable Artificial Kidney to Replace Dialysis??  (Read 26646 times)
loopywinks

« on: September 06, 2010, 09:02:00 PM »

My father in law (who is on hemo) told me that he found this information in Discover Magazine.   We are dialysis buddies.. I am on PD.  It is about an artificial kidney that can be placed in lieu of a transplant.  Has anyone heard about this?

It says that it is 5-7 years out, but looks somewhat interesting.  It looks like a sort of "internal dialysis"..

Any thoughts?

http://rdmag.com/News/Feeds/2010/09/materials-ucsf-unveils-model-for-implantable-artificial-kidn/
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »

Very interesting, loopy. Unfortunately, in 5 to 7 years, I'll be pushing up daisies.

Galvo
loopywinks

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 10:56:12 PM »

Very cute kitty, Galvo! 

I certainly hope that you will not be pushing up daisies!!  Who knows.. this might work out for some of us! :)

Take care and have a great week!
Tracy (aka Loopywinks)
Jie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 08:24:38 PM »

Don't have too much hope for it. It likes a flight delay: a half hour of announced delay is about 1.5 hours of actual delay. A 5-7 years away actually may mean 10-21 years from approval, if it gets approval at all. 
Hazmat35

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:18:58 AM »

You have to have HOPE!  This sounds like a great idea to me!  They can count me in as a test patient to try it out on! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
cath-hater

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »

Check out this link.  It speaks of a doctor at UC San Francisco in California about inventing an artificial kidney that has been tried and tested successfully.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/09/4450/ucsf-unveils-model-implantable-artificial-kidney-replace-dialysis

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:47 PM »

I'd be a guinea pig for it.

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:34:56 AM »

Check out this link.  It speaks of a doctor at UC San Francisco in California about inventing an artificial kidney that has been tried and tested successfully.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/09/4450/ucsf-unveils-model-implantable-artificial-kidney-replace-dialysis

Same story - and it says in the article, "The team has established the feasibility of an implantable model in animal models and plans to be ready for clinical trials in five to seven years."

In the meantime try to get good clearance on dialysis or work toward a transplant.  :P

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
stuman413

Have been an on and off dialysis for 15 years

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

This is very promising.  I have been hoping for an artificial kidney ever since I started dialysis 12 years ago.  A transplant only gets you so far, and it can fail.  Maybe this one will work till you die of natural causes.  I'm definitely keeping my thumbs crossed for this.

-Born in !975 with blockage on bladder
-Doctors do not realize this fact until 8 days after I'm born
-Perform surgery to pull ureters out my back so I can pee (called a eurethrarostomy)
-At 3 years of age the doctors fix the bladder and return my anatomy to normal
-23 years old I have pain in my chest/cannot breath, rushed to hospital, find that my kidneys have failed
-March 1999 - first dialysis in hospital
-January 2003   Living donor transplant from cousin
-April 2009  kidney fails  back on dialysis - present 4x per week
-January 2013 - started nocturnal dialysis 3x week for 6 hours per treatment
-April 2013 - Nocturnal shift is discontinued, treatments reduced to 5 hrs apiece
July 3 2016 Received 2nd transplant from cadaver doner
Two years post transplant doing fantastic so far
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:06:46 PM »

Same story - and it says in the article, "The team has established the feasibility of an implantable model in animal models and plans to be ready for clinical trials in five to seven years."

In the meantime try to get good clearance on dialysis or work toward a transplant.  :P

apparently they actually have a working model in the lab which has been going strong for quite some time.  the problem is making is small enough to implant,

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
stuman413

Have been an on and off dialysis for 15 years

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

yeah but being from the computer industry I've seen computers shrink from 70 pound monsters to 7 pound workhorses in a matter of just a few years.  I have faith that they will get a small enough model for transplantation within the next 10 years or so.  Just hope that the funding for this research holds out for that long.

-Born in !975 with blockage on bladder
-Doctors do not realize this fact until 8 days after I'm born
-Perform surgery to pull ureters out my back so I can pee (called a eurethrarostomy)
-At 3 years of age the doctors fix the bladder and return my anatomy to normal
-23 years old I have pain in my chest/cannot breath, rushed to hospital, find that my kidneys have failed
-March 1999 - first dialysis in hospital
-January 2003   Living donor transplant from cousin
-April 2009  kidney fails  back on dialysis - present 4x per week
-January 2013 - started nocturnal dialysis 3x week for 6 hours per treatment
-April 2013 - Nocturnal shift is discontinued, treatments reduced to 5 hrs apiece
July 3 2016 Received 2nd transplant from cadaver doner
Two years post transplant doing fantastic so far
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

Since the waiting list for a kidney is eight years the 5-10 window doesn't seem too far off.  I volunteer to be a guinea pig.  USF, give me a call.   :guitar:
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »

That make two of us, I volunteer to be a guinea pig too     :P

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Ravenwolf

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »

As for the size, let the Japanese get involved. They can micro-miniaturize anything. I hope my heart holds out that long but, that may be asking a lot. However miracles do happen.  :pray;
ToddB0130

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »

It would be awesome for this opportunity to arrive sooner than later.  Medical advancements are incredible, so *fingers crossed*.  I expect the line of folks willing to be guinea pigs would be pretty long. I'd also 'get in line'.  Bottom line -- If they're able to develop this technology in a way that makes it cheaper for patients than either dialysis or transplantation,  it will have great support.  Especially since we're all aware that,  based on issues related to the general health of ALL people,  they continue to predict that the need for both dialysis and transplants will continue to RISE,  not fall.

No day but today
mcclane

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

sign me up, if it runs on batteries i'd be willing to undergo surgery every 3-5 years just to replace the battery. :2thumbsup;
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

sign me up, if it runs on batteries i'd be willing to undergo surgery every 3-5 years just to replace the battery. :2thumbsup;

Me too!       ;D

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

I want a solar powered kidney!  LOL. :yahoo;
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »

I'd settle for wind powered!

Galvo
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

There is another approach that could be available faster - it would be to have an implantable device that removes fluid, the device would keep the body properly hydrated aka at dry weight, 24/7. The hard part is removing fluid and the just right amount of solutes but there are other ways to keep solute levels in range that you could use in combination with a device that was implanted keeping fluid levels in range.

For instance the intestines can be used to remove solutes you'd use prebiotics, probiotics, and synbiotics to remove the right combination of solutes from the the blood through the intestine (this has been Eli Friedman's research) while the implanted device manged fluid. If we have to wait for something implantable that does everything a kidney does we'll be waiting a long time but we could see in the midterm therapies that use a combination of approaches - including diet - that would be a more healthy way to replace renal function.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
AnnieB

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2012, 05:58:38 PM »

I'd settle for wind powered!

sounds pretty gassy to me.... ;D

How do you get on the clinical trial list, anyhow?

:shy;
M3Riddler

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

My father in law (who is on hemo) told me that he found this information in Discover Magazine.   We are dialysis buddies.. I am on PD.  It is about an artificial kidney that can be placed in lieu of a transplant.  Has anyone heard about this?

It says that it is 5-7 years out, but looks somewhat interesting.  It looks like a sort of "internal dialysis"..

Any thoughts?

http://rdmag.com/News/Feeds/2010/09/materials-ucsf-unveils-model-for-implantable-artificial-kidn/

loopywings,

There are many companies out there trying to develop artificial kidneys as well as smaller dialysis machines.  There are 2 that are approx 2 years away from being released. One from Fresenius called the PAK - Portable Artificial Kidney and the other by a UK company being called the Quanta SelfCare+ as well as Baxter.   These are just two of many companies trying to take an edge on the technology. Unfortunately it takes many years to develop.

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 04:05:50 PM »

:banghead;  I've been on PD for about five months, and ten hours a night on the machine EVERY NIGHT gets old.  I prefer it to four hours on the hemo machine three times a week, but a portable kidney or artificial kidney would be the best.   :clap;
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »

it has been fast-tracked by FDA so it may be around sooner rather than later after trials.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
gregory

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »

I was a guinea pig for a medicine that's supposed to knock down antibodies. It worked and I got my transplant. I would try artifical implanted kidney. I am in my sixty's so I don't mind being a guinea pig. P.K.D. runs in my family and my wifes family. We have numerous relatives with it and numerous relatives who died from it. Some had transplants and some are on dialysis and some getting ready for dialysis. Our god-daughter had twins one of them was born with it and lived 10 minutes.  :thumbup;

Been on dialysis 3 years. Had a transplant that lasted 22 years. Didn't have any problems with medications. Antibodoes built up and rejected it, they have new meds, for that now. Back on the list. Living day to day.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »