I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:22:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sensipar is working!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sensipar is working!!  (Read 4633 times)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« on: September 01, 2010, 08:06:34 AM »

Hubby started taking sensipar 30mg a day about 3 weeks ago.  He had blood work done last week. In 2 weeks his  PTH has gone from 1300 down to 1100!!  Calcium and phos are fine and he is not having any side effects from the meds!! :bandance; :bandance;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
huldafolk

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »

I have been on Sensipar since ~ 2004. Good blood chemistry.  Started on 60 mg and just recently was reduced to 30mg. in prep for transplant . They say I am at the top of the transplant list. My nephrologist came by the other day and said that I would have to have a parathyroidectomy and stop the sensipar prior to transplant, because"no one gets transplanted taking sensipar"  I freaked out. I asked why was I placed on sensipar in the first place if I would eventually have to have the surg. anyway??. He had no answer.!! He went away and I saw him taking to the Pharmacist , he came back and said he had been wrong and that the transplant team was ready to transplant me as I was. No issue with the sensipar treatment(stop when transplanted). What an ASS!!!

1980 diagnosed with ADPKD
2003 EMERG. Bi-lateral nephrectomies IVC STENT
2003-now 3x/week 4hours each hemo at clinic
2003-2004 multiple complications /ileostomy
2004 reversal of ileostomy
2010 colostomy
2003 to now ,on transplant list(on and off due to complications)
8 years on list> said to be at top of list for transplant.
2010 RCA Heart STENT
2011 Restent RCA with Drug Eluting (70% closed in 3 months)
LAD stent with drug eluting (66mm long stent)
On transplant list again!!2011/3
greg10

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

??. He had no answer.!! He went away and I saw him taking to the Pharmacist , he came back and said he had been wrong
The calcium-phosphorus-PTH regulation is so complicated that even a nephrologist can get confused.  Does anyone know if a new transplanted kidney will provide the proper regulation of the calcium-PTH cycle?  Apparently it does, so that a calcium memetic such as Sensipar is no longer needed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:25:40 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »

Does anyone know if a new transplanted kidney will provide the proper regulation of the calcium-PTH cycle? 

Contrary to the mythology, bone mineralization and disease indeed continue to be a problem after kidney transplant.

Here is one small study using cinacalcet (Sensipar) in kidney transplant recipients:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18950915
Phosphatemic effect of cinacalcet in kidney transplant recipients with persistent hyperparathyroidism.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: In kidney transplant recipients, persistent hyperparathyroidism leads to hypercalcemia and increased urinary phosphorus excretion. The calcimimetic drug cinacalcet effectively decreases parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels and corrects hypercalcemia in these patients. The purpose of the present study is to examine the effect of cinacalcet treatment on determinants of renal phosphorus reabsorption under steady-state conditions.

STUDY DESIGN: Open-label prospective uncontrolled trial.

SETTING & PARTICIPANTS: 10 stable kidney transplant recipients with persistent hyperparathyroidism.

INTERVENTION: Cinacalcet, 30 and 60 mg/d, for 2 weeks.

OUTCOMES & MEASURES: Changes in urinary phosphorus excretion in timed urine samples, intact and carboxy-terminal (C-term) fibroblast growth factor 23 (FGF-23), intact PTH, venous pH, and bicarbonate values at defined intervals over 24 hours.

RESULTS: Cinacalcet decreased renal phosphorus excretion in the first 8 hours by 30% to 40%, but not from 8 to 24 hours after drug administration. Serum phosphorus levels normalized in all patients. Cinacalcet markedly decreased plasma intact PTH levels (60%; P < 0.001). Cinacalcet also decreased mean intact FGF-23 levels from 67 +/- 8 (SE) to 51 +/- 5 and to 54 +/- 6 pg/mL (P < 0.001) and mean C-term FGF-23 levels from 108 +/- 15 to 87 +/- 9 and to 101 +/- 9 RU/mL (P < 0.01), respectively. There was high correlation between intact FGF-23 and C-term FGF-23 levels (r = 0.598; P < 0.001). Acid-base status was unchanged.

LIMITATIONS: This is a small study and does not examine the long-term effect of cinacalcet treatment.

CONCLUSIONS: Cinacalcet effectively corrected urinary phosphate wasting in kidney transplant recipients, resulting in normalization of serum phosphorus levels. The phosphatemic effects of cinacalcet correlated with a marked decrease in the phosphaturic hormone PTH, rather than with a change in FGF-23 levels or acid-base status, highlighting the importance of PTH in posttransplantation hypophosphatemia.

PMID: 18950915 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Also, the National Kidney Foundaiton (USA) has developed the KDOQI Clinical Practice Guidelines for Bone Metabolism and Disease.

GUIDELINE 16. BONE DISEASE IN THE KIDNEY TRANSPLANT RECIPIENT
http://www.kidney.org/professionals/Kdoqi/guidelines_bone/guide16.htm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 02:09:14 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
del
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 06:09:43 AM »

Hubby had PTH tested again a couple of weeks ago.  PTH is now in the 800's!!!   Still a bit high but down from 1300.  He increased to 60 mg of sensipar about a month ago. The pills are working!!!  Hopefully it will be lower next month!!

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »

??.   Does anyone know if a new transplanted kidney will provide the proper regulation of the calcium-PTH cycle?  Apparently it does, so that a calcium memetic such as Sensipar is no longer needed.

I have been on Hectoral for PTH for 4 years; transplanted 6 weeks ago.  They will take me off it as my new kidney takes over and the parathyroid again receives the right hormones to start it all working as before kidney disease.  Don't know if that helps or answers you question.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:49:44 AM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »

WONDERFUL when things work  :yahoo;   

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:52:02 AM »

Del, you and Walter are quite a team.  I am so glad the sensipar is working.  You are both so strong and proactive.   Keep up the great work -- both of you   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
del
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 09:32:02 AM »

We even repaired the dialysis machine last night, paris!!!  When we went to set the machine up there was a puddle of water underneath the machine and on the back ledge.  I called the tech to see if it was safe to go on the machine and he said no wait until today and they would try to send somebody out _we're 6 hours away!!!  While I was talking to him hubby was inspecting (LOL) the back of the machine. he felt one of the water lines and it was wet. When he looked the hose clamp that was on it was split.  He went out in the garage got another hose clamp and put it on . No more leaks!!!!  Set up the machine and had a treatment!! 

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »

:2thumbsup; That's good to know! Spare hose clamps and a little know-how saved the day!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »

What a great partnership!   I think Walter could build or fix anything    :2thumbsup;   Wish I lived next door to you!

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »

My sensipar is becoming less effective for me :( my PTH has crept up a bit taking 30mg every 2nd day, so I went to 30mg every day and it only went down a little bit, so we're going to wait and see but probably go 30mg dayily and 60mg on alternate days. Well, I don't mind that much as long as it keeps them away from my throat.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »