I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 09:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  6 Hour Energy Shot Drinks
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 6 Hour Energy Shot Drinks  (Read 4691 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:13 AM »

My neighbor was raving about these but I told her I didn't think I could have any.  But, I bought one and took it to dialysis to let someone look at it.  I haven't seen my Nephrologist in about 7 weeks so he is due in but again he didn't show up.  The head RN looked at it and it doesn't say any potassium only lots of vitamin B12 and B6. She said it should be ok to drink.  So yesterday I finally drank one.  Then on the news there was a story about how toxic they are.  They give a person 80 times the vitamin B they need.  GREAT!  I have dialysis tonight.  I guess I'll live.

So.... don't drink these.     :thumbup;

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:12 AM »

Wow!  That's crazy.  I've always stayed away from them because I thought they would raise my BP super high.  ???   Good information, Rerun.   :thx;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

My neighbor was raving about these but I told her I didn't think I could have any.  But, I bought one and took it to dialysis to let someone look at it.  I haven't seen my Nephrologist in about 7 weeks so he is due in but again he didn't show up.  The head RN looked at it and it doesn't say any potassium only lots of vitamin B12 and B6. She said it should be ok to drink.  So yesterday I finally drank one.  Then on the news there was a story about how toxic they are.  They give a person 80 times the vitamin B they need.  GREAT!  I have dialysis tonight.  I guess I'll live.

So, how did you feel after drinking it? Did it pick up your energy? Did you have trouble sleeping? I sometimes think of trying one of those when my workday goes on 12 hours.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:43:46 PM »

i don't drink them because i just don't think they're necessary for anyone. dialysis patients are deficient in b complex vitamins so i doubt that the one you drank will harm you. i think the operative word here is "drink". i want to enjoy what i drink, don't think energy drinks fall into that category.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »

That is interesting Rerun. How did it taste? I have stayed away from them because I figured they were just loaded with caffeine, which my heart is not overly fond of. But, boy, I sure could use some energy!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Restorer

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:54:49 PM »

I may be wrong, but I think dialysis patients are only deficient in B vitamins because dialysis strips them out, and most dialysis patients don't have a good enough diet to replace them quickly, which is why they give us renal multivitamins. If you take more than the recommended amount of B vitamins, they'll stick around until your next dialysis because you're not peeing them out.

Since the 5-hour/6-hour energy shots have such a high amount of the different B vitamins, you're pretty much overdosing. Normal people would peak at a probably-safe level, and quickly lose the excess in their neon-green pee. We dialysis patients don't excrete the B vitamins nearly as well, so they could peak at a much higher level, and stay there for a long time. Sounds dangerous to me.

Though, if you're still urinating, and it turns neon green after you take the shot, you might be safer.  :rofl;

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:06:01 PM »

Excellent point, Restorer.

And don't forget many of these drinks contain Guarana, which contains about twice the caffeine found in coffee beans.  It can make your heart race and you will have to wait till dialysis to get it out of your system ...
... you hope!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »