I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 03:37:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hemocatheter removed incorrectly
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hemocatheter removed incorrectly  (Read 6739 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: August 24, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »

Last December (2009), a surgeon removed my hemodialysis catheter, and I've been using a fistula ever since.

Recently, I started getting what appeared to be an infected cyst near the catheter site:  Swelling, and smelly drainage.  My neph did a culture and found it badly infected.  He put me on IV antibiotics, but they failed to cure it.

So I consulted another surgeon.  And this surgeon found that it wasn't a cyst.  Rather, a piece of the catheter sheath had been left inside my body when the catheter was removed.  It was a piece of plastic about an inch or so long, that had become colonized with bacteria.  So he removed it, and put me back on IV antibiotics.  Hopefully now the infection should clear.

But leaving a piece of catheter inside my body represents a clear medical error.

A dialysis nurse told me that she had seen this type of mistake before.  Anybody here have something like this happen to them?
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:24:56 AM »

No, thank God!

Galvo
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:05 AM »

That's awful!!  I hope you feel better soon.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:50:25 AM »

Nothing suprises me !  I hope it all heals well now.

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

OMG, that is awful. So sorry it happened to you and surely hope it clears up soon.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

Oh Geez. Someone needs to be hit with a stick!  :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:13:27 PM »

OMG!  AND you still had to pay the bill!  That is where Medicare (if they paid it) should get their money back.  IDIOTS!

:Kit n Stik;

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Rerun:

I had been the victim of another medical error about 10 years ago.  I was so incensed that I called my insurer and told their representative that they shouldn't reimburse that doctor for his treatment of me, because he did such a terrible job.  Their representative replied that it's not the insurer's job to judge the doctor's competence; if I have any gripes about the doctor's treatment, I should consult an attorney instead.

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

Did they apologise? E.g. the original surgeon, or people who might be responsible for your long term care?

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

hope you're feeling better soon.

:Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »

:boxing; Ugh that makes me MAD!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »

Such outrageous incompetence.
I'm sorry for what you've been through.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
casper2636

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 04:28:17 PM »

What a horror story! The pain must have been excruciating! I guess I was blessed, or worked on by an incompetent doctor, because my cath literally FELL OUT! I had my stitches out earlier that day and went to change my shirt and heard it hit the floor. I freaked. Didn't bleed or anything. Very strange. Makes you wounder about doctors.
Casper2636 ???
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 07:36:19 AM »

I've heard of them falling out before.  A friend of mine had that happen.. he was about 11 at the time. We were both in the hospital, and I remember him coming back from the dialysis unit laughing cuz it fell out.  They had another one in him by the next day. It's kind of funny.  He seemed to take so much in stride, but of all the kids I knew, he had to be the one who was most depressed.  He was far from home and didn't get any visitors.  He was one of the kids my parents "adopted" when I was in hospital, cuz one of them was always with me, and those kids didn't have anybody.

Rightside, what were the symptons you had?  I've just had my line taken out about the end of May, and your story has got me a little worried now

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
rocker

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »

Hubby had one fall out, too.  He was out in the garage, moving some boxes around, and felt something funny inside his shirt on his stomach...

Story is here http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=12914.msg222279#msg222279
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 04:38:03 PM »

Rightside, what were the symptons you had?  I've just had my line taken out about the end of May, and your story has got me a little worried now
Right after the catheter was removed, I had no symptoms at all.  The site healed, and I just forgot about it.

Then, a few months after that, I started noticing what appeared to be a lump just under my skin, maybe a half inch from the catheter site hole.  But I'm used to having sebaceous cysts, so I assumed that's what it was, and I just ignored it.

Then a couple of months after that, I suddenly started to see bloody drainage coming from the catheter site hole once again, long after it was supposed to have healed.  I showed it to a couple of the nurses at my dialysis clinic, but they had no idea what was going on.

Then after that, the bloody drainage turned purulent and smelly.  Now a nurse cultured it, and it was found to be heavily infected.

I should say that this new surgeon, the one I consulted this past week, pulled the piece of catheter sheath out via the original catheter site hole.  Evidently the catheter sheath was keeping the hole from closing fully, so it never quite healed.
casper2636

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »

That's awful! I hope the infection was cleared up quickly! I'm so lucky (if I can say that at all) that I had no problems with infection, despite the conditions that my cath "fell out"
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 07:02:57 PM »

That's awful! I hope the infection was cleared up quickly! I'm so lucky (if I can say that at all) that I had no problems with infection, despite the conditions that my cath "fell out"
If your catheter fell out completely, I'll bet that's less likely to cause a nasty infection than if a piece of it remained inside--as was the case with me.

The reason why catheters can cause infections is that the bacteria can colonize along the surface of the catheter.  These biofilms are very difficult, if not impossible, to cure with antibiotics.

The infection I had would never have cleared without surgical removal of that infected piece of catheter sheath.  It's a good thing that I insisted to my neph that I wanted to see a surgeon, rather than just keep throwing antibiotics at the infection as he was doing.
casper2636

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »

Rightside,
It was a good thing that you were proactive in the treatment with your infection. You told them what you wanted them to do. I'm find I spend too much time listening to them himming and hawing about what they should do instead of SPEAKING UP ABOUT WHAT I WANT DONE!!!
Casper~ :boxing;
tito

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:57 AM »

Rightside,

Sorry you had that happen - how terrible.

I was just reading on a patient access site the report from the removal of a hemocatheter I had last year. The doctor noted that upon removal, the catheter was inspected carefully to make sure it was intact. Guess your doctor didn't do this. My nephrologist does all the procedures, and he's extremely careful.

You're in Boston, too, I believe. I'll give you his name!!!

Pete
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 02:16:14 PM »

Rightside, I am sorry about your experiences.
I am so glad that you followed your instinct and insisted to see a surgeon!
Best wishes from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »

I was just reading on a patient access site the report from the removal of a hemocatheter I had last year. The doctor noted that upon removal, the catheter was inspected carefully to make sure it was intact. Guess your doctor didn't do this. My nephrologist does all the procedures, and he's extremely careful.

You're in Boston, too, I believe. I'll give you his name!!!
Better yet, post his name here.

You never know if any newbies from Boston will be joining us in the future.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »

As I've said before, it infuriates me that I can check with the Better Business Bureau to find out if the plumber I'm hiring is competent or has dozens of complaints filed against him, but there's a huge white wall of silence around incompetent doctors.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

funnygarcia

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »

When my dh had a cath removed the interventional radiology tech told us some facts about the removal process and how it was done in the past. (Mostly to keep my dh calm during the procedure.. and as he is a science teacher it was an interesting topic).

She was very careful to pull off all the scar tissue surrounding the cath during removal (using scissors and tweezers to gentle pull away tissue). Eventually she had to use a scalpel to get the last remaining bit holding it in.

Showed us the entire line and talked about where it actually was in the body. And we talked about other places they put in central lines.. intriguing stuff BTW

Anyway, she told us in the past it was not uncommon for several staff to hold down the patient while a doctor basically YANKED the cath out.  :o  Leaving the cuffed part (that the scar tissue forms around to anchor the line) inside the body. Eventually, the body would form more scar tissue to surround the piece. Over time the patient would have a hard knot of tissue at that location on the chest.

She also told us that the remaining piece could cause an abcess in some patients. Which is why they have stopped the YANK it out style of removal. 
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »

:puke;

That wasn't funny, garcia!  :laugh:

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »