I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  KT/V
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: KT/V  (Read 2746 times)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:55 AM »

When I was doing APD my adequacy was tested by blood tests and a 24 hour urine collection. Because I have a good urine output my adequacy was way over adequate (2.7) (adequacy taget 1.9). Is this term adequacy the same as KT/V?

Now I do heamo and my KT/V is only .9 but they don't measure it against a 24 hour urine collection. At another clinic I recently dialysed at whilst on vacation they said that KT/V should always be measured with urine output to obtain a truly accurate figure.

I do 3 hours dialysis 3 times a week. My doctor  quotes this KT/V figure and keeps trying to push me into doing 4 hours which I refuse to do. I have always been suspicious of this one size fits all aproach to haemo and the fact that at least two separate NHS trusts operate different prcocedures for KT/V calculation has done nothing change that.

As a patient I want the kind of information that  I can be certain is a serious indicator of my dialysis adequacy and I thought that as KT/V is arrived at by mathematical equation then it must be definative. If there are NHS trusts changing this equation in any way then it would seem to me that the  the whole process a complete nonsense.

Ken
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:07 AM »

Ken i cant help with your dilemma although i understand where your coming from.
Just wanted to say hey and hope Hemo is doing ok with you.

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Jie

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »

For PD, Kt/V is for a week, whereas for HD, Kt/V is for each treatment. So they are not comparable. PD Kt/V should be greater than HD Kt/V because one can do three or more HD treatments per week.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:50:20 AM »

As I was explained to, the KT/v for HD is measured per session and it measures the successfulness of that particular dialysis session. It does not measure the workings of the kidney function as a whole.(the 24h urine sample and the kt/v should not be compared as the one checks the kidney function and the other the successfulness of dialysis)

Most units wants at least 1.3 KT/V per dialysis session. This will then ensure that enough toxins and fluid are removed from the blood. If they achieve less than that they have two options. 1. Increase the time on the machine. 2. Increase the pump speed.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 05:54:32 AM by Des » Logged

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Most units wants at least 1.3 KT/V per dialysis session. This will then ensure that enough toxins and fluid are removed from the blood. If they achieve less than that they have two options. 1. Increase the time on the machine. 2. Increase the pump speed.

The third option, though more expensive, is increase the size of the dialyzer.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 01:53:21 PM »

The third option, though more expensive, is increase the size of the dialyzer.

8)

Zach - My Kt/v was usually between 1.30 and 1.4. My unit got some new dialysers (can't recall the name/number now) and tried them out on some of our patients, myself included. Each time I used it my Kt/v was 1.59 or better but I crashed every single time, tried different UF profiles but still crashed hard. We decided it just wasn't worth it to continue with the new dialyser and went back to the old one.

PS - Didn't really feel any different with Kt/v 1.59 than when it was 1.3.  Oh, well.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 01:55:00 PM by RenalSurvivorDotCA » Logged

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:46 PM »

PS - Didn't really feel any different with Kt/v 1.59 than when it was 1.3.  Oh, well.

Not yet.

Remember you're in it for the long haul.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »